Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Just watching that race again, Willis did brilliantly to change his race strategy in an instant when he saw the carnage behind him.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - I think Willis' greatest asset as a runner is actually his brain.  He's such a smart race strategist - you see it in that race as well as the 2016 Olympic 1500m when he snuck a bronze despite being the oldest man in an Olympic 1500m final.  It's so important in those middle-distance races.  His fastest days are probably behind him now but no doubt he's goes down as one of NZ's all-time greats.

I'd forgotten Paul Hamblyn was in that race too and that he was only narrowly out of the medals.  He is quite actively involved coaching distance runners up at Bays Harbour now (our rival club but I won't hold that against him) and basically launched the 'Night of 5's' 5000m event singlehandedly which is fast becoming the country's premier 5000m event.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Flavio - Good luck with your continued speed training.

Watson - Nice RR. Those conditions sound miserable.

Mark - Nice work on your PR!

I think I'm getting too old because now I managed to injure myself swimming. Without seeing a doctor I'm pretty sure it is triceps tendinitis, but at least I was smarter with this injury than with my running and only did one workout after I felt it the first time. I have an appointment with my hamstring doctor in a couple of weeks so if it doesn't feel good by then I will have her take a look at it. At least the weather is nice and I can ride my bike with no problems...

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

watsonc123

Willis is an excellent 1500m tactician, plus his kick was pretty good.

Circa 2012 he had some 5000 metre races. He went good, but never great.  His best chance is and was at 1500.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Here we go again someone found an old Kiwi youtube video and half the thread is reminiscing Smile

Watson: great report, much more detailed than Marks Smile Incredible that a race with such a large number of runners would have those problems with pacers. How large was the group?

Me: have a calf strain and out for the next few days....just rollin rollin rollin rollin rollin

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It’s pretty obvious as punishment either Steve or Watson are the thread leaders next year for this recent outburst.

Too many injuries on this thread again, I don’t like the trend. I’ve been injury free for about 4 months now and I feel like I’m due.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - what’s the average you ran those 400s, cause 20x400 sounds tough as hell!

Mark - Nick had a glorious career, but it certainly will become harder and harder to continue racing at the top level.

Steve - did you give it a try using the massage ball to roll the piriformis? I find that rolling the piriformis and the upper hamstring helps with tightness in the glutes.

MJ - I had very tight calves last week, seiza sitting with a massage ball between calf and hamstring helped a lot. You can move the ball around to find the tight spots. I found it also helped using my free hand to push the ball in, to create more pressure on the calf.

Rune - Here’s my assessment of your situation, which is similar to what happened to me a couple of years ago, when I spent 18 months to get back on track.

In short, the kind of training that we put on puts some damage on our tendons and muscles. The way to avoid said damage is by becoming stronger.

Kind of like if you can benchpress 100lb for max then you can easily benchpress 50lb for 5 reps. Similar to that is running, as we repeat a similar movement thousands of time.

As we try to repeat that movement further and further, we need to extend our max strength.

The trick, however, is that it’s not a simple matter of hitting the gym and doing some squats and some bench presses.

Strength is a continuum of layers so to speak. There are the basic building blocks of strength, that combine together to form the next layer. So in order to squat deep you need to be be able to hold your weight and have some dorsiflexion. When you want to do push ups, generally you’d start with a base movement, arms against a wall, then against a sofa, then against the ground. So layers, or levels.

All of that to say that in my case, and quite possibly in your case, there was an issue with a weak base. The primal movements that are necessary to perform the higher level ones were weak. So when I hit the functional gym in December 2017, they put me doing a lot of basic movements, to start picking up core strength. They’ve set a base, and built upon that.

So I reckon that in your case you’d need to find a CrossFit or Functional gym, or some place using the latest movement theories, so that they start building your strength base. Over time you will be back to performing your training without issues.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio: Thanks I tried to zoom in on that young lady and how she squeezes that ball....hum it doesn't work. Would you have a close up maybe?

Sorry Jmac I couldnt resist...I tried but I couldnt...

runethechamp

Flavio, I think you are absolutely right! Granted, I didn't start running with no strength training base (but not much strength training at all the last months before I started running), but after I started it's been more or less non-existent. I had it in my mind that I needed to do some strength training, I just never did anything about it. Similarly, or maybe even worse, when I started swimming this winter it was with very little strength base as well (hello runner arms! ). Once I got going I bet my aerobic fitness came back relatively easily even after close to a couple of months of little activity. So I think I came into the swimming with a strength deficit, and eventually that led to my triceps injury.

So, I need to complement my training with strength. I have some good ideas where to get started but I will definitely reach out to you get advice.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - The reps averaged 89 sec each. I'm fairly happy with that given that most of them were majority to all uphill. I certainly don't think I'll make it a weekly thing, though!

Weather was ridiculously nice again today. Cool like yesterday, but with a bit less wind. That should continue for another couple days, ruining my heat acclimatization just in time for my Saturday LR.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mark I was browsing YouTube and saw that 5000m. I was thinking crikey where is he. Mind you a sub 14 5000m can leave you a long way back in a world class field.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Mick - there were two pacers.  Early on I guess 30 were in the group, there were a few 10k and full runners in the group.  When I left them, I guess there were 10.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mick - there were two pacers.  Early on I guess 30 were in the group, there were a few 10k and full runners in the group.  When I left them, I guess there were 10.

Interesting and I feel sorry for the 10 that remained, probably hoping to break 90 and then realizing that their pacers f***ed it up.

This is probably more a question to the numbers nerd Mark: how many runners broke 90 or better and what was the total amount of runners? I would like to compare this to some European races. I always thought that Kiwis are probably much faster in the average, but the fact that there were only 10 in the 90min group got me thinking.

Marky_Mark_17

Mick - there were a total of 116 who ran sub-1:30 in Christchurch (on the basis of net time). 1,504 completed the half (there were 1,699 entries but there's always no-shows and DNF's too).  So that gets you 7.7% running sub-1:30.  This would probably have been higher than average because the weather would've deterred some of the more casual entrants.

Interesting in Auckland last year there were 109 who ran sub-1:30 out of 5,572 which was only 2%.  The Auckland course is slower and also gets a lot of social entries because of the novelty factor of running over the Harbour Bridge.

Waterfront had 137 of 2015 which was 6.8%.  That's probably as close as you'll get to a representative number for NZ as the weather was good that day for running, the course is flat and fast, and it was a big(ish) race with a fairly deep field.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Interesting discussion and stats, if I had time I'd compile a list of as many races as possible.  It's interesting the development of a race too - there's a couple of relatively new races in and around Christchurch and the inaugural year is the year to do it for a good placing.  South Island Half Marathon is an example in the first year, my time would have got me on the podium in the AG, but in the second year it got me 10th.

I'm still not quite right with my piriformis and going to the physio today.  It's not bad - I could complete a normal run, but I'm worried about what damage that would do given that I can feel it slowly getting worse in 10-15 mins with the occasional shooting pain.  Mark, I should never have said anything about my good injury run when you were down here.  On the positive side, it feels minor and like it can be managed.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024