Flexibility Issues (Read 463 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Does anyone else have issues with flexibility? Ever since I was a little kid, I've had no flexibility. I was always the only girl that would miserably fail the sit and reach test in gym class. I've realized recently that this has only gotten worse. I'm guessing that some stretching exercises or yoga or something might help, but I'm so inflexible that yoga is painful. Anyone else have this issue?

TRUST THE PROCESS

Why is it sideways?

Like you, I've always been very inflexible--from the time I was a little kid. It's my primary weakness as a runner and the reason I'm injured now. I often let my frustrations with how much I suck at stretching keep me from stretching. Which is dumb. Don't be like that.
      Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Jeff, I do the same thing....

TRUST THE PROCESS

AnneCA

I am by nature inflexible as well, but I don't think, honestly, that it has affected my running much. I don't need to touch my toes when I'm running, after all. I do have to be very careful about not adding mileage too quickly, making sure I keep most of my miles easy, going very easy on speedwork . . . but these are good things to do, period, and I've always thought of them as being more about my biomechanics and strength imbalances than about my flexibility. Basically, I work on what I can work on: strength training, and running smart. I do regularly stretch after runs, because it feels good and I enjoy it. Over the years, I've tried working on improving my flexibility; sometimes I've tried quite hard. But I just can't make much progress on it. Because it doesn't seem to matter much with running, I've stopped worrying about it.
          Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Anne, I like the approach! Smile

TRUST THE PROCESS

Doobry

for as long as i can remember, each time i've ever tried to cross my legs whilst sitting down, i fall backwards and bang my head (this has resulted in at least 5 concussions, 2 of which required overnight hospital stays). I blame my attempts for doing so on the media who just glamorise flexibility Angry weird thing is though, i can easily do the 'touch the toes' & 'clasp the hands behind the back' numbers, but crossing the legs just leads to a world of pain (on occasion leading to Vomitsville & double-vision). sadly it's all down to the fact my femoral's ain't alligned properly (i had Perthes disease as a kid). inflexibility sucks ass Black eye

Religion is just a contest to see who's got the best imaginary friend.