Farah vs Bolt 600m race (Read 295 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If you are Mo Farah what is your race strategy?

If you are Usain Bolt what is your strategy?

Assuming they both are giving this thing 100%

**Ask me about streaking**

Why is it sideways?

Thought about this on my run. I am more convinced than ever that Bolt wins this (though this does not mean that I am more likely to be right.)

I think that Farah on his best day run 50s through the quarter and closes in 25.

Do you know what a 50s quarter feels like for Bolt? A float. He closes in 23.

Thought about this on my run. I am more convinced than ever that Bolt wins this (though this does not mean that I am more likely to be right.)

I think that Farah on his best day run 50s through the quarter and closes in 25.

Do you know what a 50s quarter feels like for Bolt? A float. He closes in 23.

I agree.  About the idea the Bolt crushes anyway.  I really have no idea about times.

It sounds like Bolt has the background to be able to handle the distance.  What will make the biggest difference is his ability to accelerate, I think.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

joescott

logicians...

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

Sorry Span, guess you've had that convo 500 million times already...

It was not meant to come across as personal to you.  I apologize if it did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Marylander

As for Tiger, I'm willing to bet he didn't get that big eating skinless chicken breasts and lifting weights.

I've seen the pics of his transformation and, while I obviously have no proof, I don't see why PEDs would be necessary for the changes I see. I started lifting weights in my 30s and had people just assume I was taking steroids. My gains were also made while eating crap, which I'm sure someone like Tiger would not be doing.

mikeymike

PTI is talking about this, at 8:20... they are leaning Farah!

It's funny to hear two guys who know next to nothing about track and field lay down eerily similar analysis to what we are all doing all over running message boards. Bottom line: none of us has a clue and that's why it's so interesting.

Runners run

DoppleBock

When will the race be - With Both coming off WC fitness, I would give the nod to Farah also.  Bolt will have worked like a beast on being in best possible 100/200 shape.

If both men trained a full cycle for only the 600, then I would look toward Bolt, but I think with Farah being in top 1500 shape he will have the edge in translating it to a fast 600.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I've seen the pics of his transformation and, while I obviously have no proof, I don't see why PEDs would be necessary for the changes I see. I started lifting weights in my 30s and had people just assume I was taking steroids. My gains were also made while eating crap, which I'm sure someone like Tiger would not be doing.

I'm the one that has no proof.

It's funny to hear two guys who know next to nothing about track and field lay down eerily similar analysis to what we are all doing all over running message boards. Bottom line: none of us has a clue and that's why it's so interesting.

I think it's so similar because it's not complicated.  There is no safety for the quarterback to look off.  There is no triangle offense or zone defense to implement.  There is no question about who to bring out of the bullpen.

Runners run.

GC100k

It wouldn't shock me if Bolt used PEDs because it's so common.  But remember, Bolt was the fastest teenager in history.  He was on the international radar at 14 and on the cover of international track and field magazines when he was 16.  At 15, he was the youngest world junior champion ever.  It's no shock that he has become the best.

But the same could have been said for Lance Armstrong and Marian Jones.

I'm cynical.  Yes, I guess I've been duped before (Armstrong and Ben Johnson).
                        I'm a big baseball fan as well, and the sport was ruined in the late 1980s.
                        I'm willing to watch a sport like T&F, but I'm not going to sing any athlete's praises.  Especially one like Bolt.  His events aren't the cleanest events within T&F.

His times are beyond natural.

He could be like Wayne Gretsky, Jesse Owens, Tiger Woods, Richard Petty, or Ted Williams.

Or, he could be like Lance Armstrong (or A-Rod or Ben Johnson or Roger Clemens or Mark McGuire or ...).

It's hard to idolize a baseball player or a sprinter or a bike racer in today's era.
                        I'm not going to do it.  I'm not going to idolize them.

And I'm somewhat surprised that many do.

GC100k

As for Tiger, you're comparing him to golfers.  In a football locker room, he would look scrawny.  You have friends who are more muscular than he is and have put on more muscle since age 20 than he has.

GC100k

Back to the original question, I think if Bolt trained for 400m he'd be the favorite for the 600m.  In college track, they sometimes run 600m indoors and it's the 400m runners who win.  But that may be just because the teams put their 400m runners in there for training.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I vote (ie, guess) Bolt. He holds on for 400, then kicks the end.

It is my experience that the people that can kick, can always kick, even when they've run beyond what their aerobic system can handle.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.