Rude People (Read 867 times)

It's not often that something like this happens, but yesterday while I was running I was annoyed by what I considered "rude people". I took advantage of the time while my daughter's (11 y/o) soccer team was practicing, and I ran. The practice field is at a public school, and has a running/walking paved trail around the entire field. The loop is half a mile, perfect to run and still be right there if my daughter needed me during practice. Anyhow, there were many practices going on at that time, t-ball and soccer, all different ages. There were a couple of other runners on the walkway/trail as well, as there usually are. As I did my laps there was one family (dad, mom, daughter) who kept standing on the walkway, sometimes right in the middle, other times off to the side, but every time I had to step into the grass. Not really a big deal but where they were it forced me to step off where the ground was cluttered with branches and such. There were other people who would step aside when they saw me coming, which I thought was the proper thing to do since I was on the walkway and they could easily stand in the grass to watch which ever practice they were at. When I watch my daughter's practice I always stand in the grass. There is PLENTY of room for that there. The dad looked miserable too, each time I went by he wouldn't budge. I think by the time I did lap 14 he was thinking of tripping me (J/K, but he looked just as annoyed as I was). They left just in time for me to do my last two laps. Was I wrong to be annoyed? Would any of you have said something to them? (I would never say something, I'm not that bold) At least it gave me that extra bit of motivation to keep on going! Okay, I'm done venting.

Michelle

mikeymike

It is so not worth getting annoyed by that. You took a few steps off the pavement on the dirt/grass/sticks whatever. This paved path surrounds a buch of athletic fields and is a multi-use path. It is not, specifically a running track, no? If these folks were standing in Lane 1 of an actual track then you should have, politely at first, said something to them. I have done this many times. But this was not the case here. They were rude and obtuse to stand on the path. You handled it appropriately to just go around them. Now let it go, life is too short. Big grin You had a good run. They stood still being miserable. You should feel sorry for them. You won, they lost.

Runners run

True. I think it wouldn't have bothered me if the dad wouldn't have looked so miserable. As if I was bothering them.

Michelle

Scout7

Yell "TRACK!!!!!!!!" really really loud every time you come up to them.
            At least I didn't mention the lady with her dog off the leash, and how it's fur raised as I went by. It looked at me and I looked at it and kept going. I'll keep that complaint to myself. Roll eyes

Michelle

I had a similar experience at a local park. There is a one mile trail that traces the perimeter of the park so, like you , I pass the same people several times. Maybe it helps that I'm a big guy (read "fat") because when they see me they quickly move out of the way for their own safety. Smile If they aren't walking towards me I shuffle my feet real loud to let them know I'm coming through. If that doesn't get their attention I yell "On your left!" or "TRACK!" After getting spooked a few times they get the idea. On the opposite side of this topic, where people are overly friendly, I equally detest the person who has to wave and say "HI!" EVERY TIME I pass them... Roll eyes
                Yell "TRACK!!!!!!!!" really really loud every time you come up to them.
                LMBO! Big grin I have fleeting moments of irritation but I generally like to keep my mood light and easy when I run. THings that tick me off? 2lb rat dogs on 20ft leashes that go entirely across the boardwalk while owner stands off to the side chatting with someone. Or. The wall of PURPLE!!! Angry TNT really sucks. really. THe last few times I have run into them on Saturday mornings they run shoulder to shoulder taking up the entire boardwalk. I had barely enough to room to pass on the side because I think each of the 8-10 people engaged in this obnoxiously RUDE behavior, didn't want to back down from their space. idiots. Angry

Jennifer mm#1231

You took a few steps off the pavement on the dirt/grass/sticks whatever. This paved path surrounds a buch of athletic fields and is a multi-use path.
                  Well now I need to justify why it bothered me so much (I'm like that)...First thing, to step off to the right of the path at that point, put me on a unstable rocky section of a small hill, yes with dirt and some clumps of grass and lots of sticksl. To step off to the left put me where people were actually standing OFF of the track. If these people would have moved over and up (with the rest of the people watching that particular t-ball practice), there wouldn't have been an issue. Oddly, where they were standing put them behind other people blocking their view, so their intention wasn't even to really WATCH the practice entirely. And, no it isn't a track as in with lanes and such, but it is marked of with and a start and finish line. I didn't complain about the little boy peeing into the grass from the edge of the track (he at least stood at the very edge), besides, he was like 3 years old and the port-a-potty was like a mile away for his little legs. I smiled nicely at the mom who was letting her toddler push the stroller along the trail, that didn't bother me, looked like a good way to keep him entertained, I don't blame her. I was a little annoyed with my daughter after the 9th time of my running by her team and hearing her yell "HI MOM!"...I was annoyed that she wasn't giving her coach her attention each time she yelled to me. What felt great was at the end of practice I picked up my pace to get to where the team was and when I stopped a bunch of the girls ran up to me and all at once they were asking questions...how many laps was that?? Are you tired?? Do your legs hurt?? How fast were you going?? How many miles was that?? Very cool! Smile So did it ruin my run? Nope, not at all. I wasn't expecting to get to run yesterday so I was happy with simply getting the chance (the soccer team I'm assistant coach for rescheduled practice till Friday). Am I seriously bitter about it. Nope...just wanted to vent with a topic that was actually running related since I haven't done any races recently, and don't have any other running type of questions.

Michelle

der_lizzard

I ran on the track of my local gym yesterday, which is only 2 lanes wide: one lane is marked "Running" and the other "Passing." Should be simple, no? Well, about midway into my run a group of 8 girls stormed onto the track (I guess they were taking some sort of class and was using the track to warm up) and proceeded to run in groups of 2, side-by-side!! hello??? Isn't that the most basic rule: don't block the track?? I was so annoyed. Every time I came up behind them (and they were, of course, chatting away and completely not paying attention) I shouted "On your left!" LOUD and right behind them. They still didn't get the point. There was one woman running with her little boy (maybe 8 years old?) and they were also side-by-side but they were considerate enough to keep an eye out so that whenever someone got near they moved to single file. I never once had to yell behind them. This is a normal 1/4 mile track - and with that many people on a 2 lane track, you really can't run abreast. The good thing is, I was so annoyed with them and preoccupied with when I was going to pass, etc. that I ran an extra mile without trying. I was stunned when I checked my watch to see how many laps I had to go and realized I had already gone 2 laps past my intended finish. Also I picked up my pace a little because you naturally surge a little when passing people. So maybe I should be happy those girls enhanced my workout, ha ha.
                      It does tend to fuel the fire!

Michelle

<quote pid="70724fc41eca4ff79a505e690598674c the wall of purple!!! >:( tnt really sucks. really. the last few times i have run into them on saturday mornings they run shoulder to shoulder taking up the entire boardwalk. i had barely enough to room to pass on the side because i think each of the 8-10 people engaged in this obnoxiously rude behavior, didn't want to back down from their space. idiots. >:(</quote> yep i've ran into the wall of purple a couple times running at lake miramar. i enjoy running there since it is marked every 1/4 mile; great for setting my pace. but on occasional saturday's, that place is a sea of purple. i use it as training for the real thing where i heard they are notorious for walking 6 abreas up torrey pines during the la jolla 1/2. i support their cause, but their coaches need to train them better. pid=""></quote pid="70724fc41eca4ff79a505e690598674c the wall of purple!!! >:( tnt really sucks. really. the last few times i have run into them on saturday mornings they run shoulder to shoulder taking up the entire boardwalk. i had barely enough to room to pass on the side because i think each of the 8-10 people engaged in this obnoxiously rude behavior, didn't want to back down from their space. idiots. >:(</quote> yep i've ran into the wall of purple a couple times running at lake miramar. i enjoy running there since it is marked every 1/4 mile; great for setting my pace. but on occasional saturday's, that place is a sea of purple. i use it as training for the real thing where i heard they are notorious for walking 6 abreas up torrey pines during the la jolla 1/2. i support their cause, but their coaches need to train them better. >

Prophet!

just run em over Evil grin I am usually pretty good at stepping aside, but sometimes i after long runs and i'm tired, i'm not stepping aside for bunch of people running side by side hogging the road, i plow through em...it doesn't ruin my day, maybe it ruins theirs.
                            You never know when you are going to meet an explosive loon (or loons), so I just run around them. Running in the neighborhood, I sometimes move from the sidewalk to the street and people have still messed with me. The last time this happened, a big guy strolling on by yell at me, "What you looking a *****?" I just ran on by. Reading this other post about when dogs attack really got me lit up.

Vim

You never know when you are going to meet an explosive loon (or loons), so I just run around them. Running in the neighborhood, I sometimes move from the sidewalk to the street and people have still messed with me. The last time this happened, a big guy strolling on by yell at me, "What you looking a *****?" I just ran on by. Reading this other post about when dogs attack really got me lit up.
                              I often move from the sidewalk to the street so I don't bother kids playing, or adults walking...etc. Nobody has ever said anything to me yet, at least not negative. One guy once yelled, "what are you running for, you look fine just as you are!!" Then he smiled and waved. I smiled, and then ran a little faster.

Michelle

Imminent Catastrophe

My tactic--smile, say "EXCUSE ME" or "TRACK" (I like that) very loudly, and gently brush against them, hopefully depositing some sweat on them. But don't let them force you off the track. Passive-aggressive, but it gets the point across.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016