Wear your sunscreen, kids (Read 1547 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: Zoomy said lube-up.

I am the great Cornholio...I need TP for my bunghole!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nice catch Zoom, but does Did know about this Derek guy?  

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Everything go o.k.?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Everything go o.k.?

So far...today was just a sort of prep visit.  Next Thursday is the actual day that they will see if the cancer cells stayed local or spread.  He'll have to come in here later to explain this better, but it sounds like they are going to do something with radioactive dye and then see if any lymph nodes are involved (using a geiger counter, which is sort of creepy and cool at the same time--he's hoping he ends up with super powers, heh).  If so, then they'll remove any affected nodes.  Hopefully it won't come down to that, though.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice catch Zoom, but does Did know about this Derek guy?  

Shhhh... 

~ Sarah Kay

So far...today was just a sort of prep visit.  Next Thursday is the actual day that they will see if the cancer cells stayed local or spread.  He'll have to come in here later to explain this better, but it sounds like they are going to do something with radioactive dye and then see if any lymph nodes are involved (using a geiger counter, which is sort of creepy and cool at the same time--he's hoping he ends up with super powers, heh).  If so, then they'll remove any affected nodes.  Hopefully it won't come down to that, though.

Well, the good thing is that, at the worst, they'll remove any affected nodes and that will be that. Would be happy to know how things went, even if by PM.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, the good thing is that, at the worst, they'll remove any affected nodes and that will be that. Would be happy to know how things went, even if by PM.

Yep!  I will keep you guys posted.  I think it's important for people to see that skin cancer isn't always about cutting a small spot of skin, and being done.  I think that's a misconception that a lot of people have.  They are concerned about the risk of small scars when the visible remains of lesion removal aren't what we should be concerned about.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The big guy posted a blog entry with the details about his upcoming procedures.  Methinks the sweet smell of Coppertone Sport products will be our favorite fragrance for the next 50+ years.

MTA: he has no clue what's up with the random highlighted words...

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

It's called a sentinel lymph node biopsy.  They inject a radioactive dye into the area of the tumor.  This dye will then drain to whatever lymph node drains that area (this is not reliably predictible without following the dye).  Then they use the Geiger counter to identify the node and remove it for biopsy.

If the node is negative, you are done.  If it is positive, they will often go back and sample nearby nodes to determine the extent of the spread.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AnneCA

Hey Zoom -- my dad just had this done, with the radioactive dye following excision of a spot that came back melanoma.  They took out the communicating lymph node, and another one nearby for good measure.  Both came back nice and clean.  The procedure was without complication, although he did have an overnight stay afterwards.  Not sure if that's always done, but my dad is about to turn 70, so that may make a difference. 

Hey, at least you're the one who gets the credit.  My dad?  It was a lady at his gym who told him he should have the spot seen.  Not my mom.  Not his best friend the dermatologist.  A random stranger at his gym. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's called a sentinel lymph node biopsy.  They inject a radioactive dye into the area of the tumor.  This dye will then drain to whatever lymph node drains that area (this is not reliably predictible without following the dye).  Then they use the Geiger counter to identify the node and remove it for biopsy.

If the node is negative, you are done.  If it is positive, they will often go back and sample nearby nodes to determine the extent of the spread.

Yep, that's exactly what he described in greater detail when he got home.  Kinda wild.  I'm kinda bummed that he won't glow like Mr. Burns.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A random stranger at his gym. 

Thank heavens for strangers with a perceptive eye! 

~ Sarah Kay

This thread reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This thread reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

I totally forgot about that thing--I didn't realize Baz Luhrmann did the video...I LOVE his films.  Interesting...I have followed much of the advice in that poem without consciously thinking about it.  I was 24 when that was written.

~ Sarah Kay

I totally forgot about that thing--I didn't realize Baz Luhrmann did the video...I LOVE his films.  Interesting...I have followed much of the advice in that poem without consciously thinking about it.  I was 24 when that was written.

I wish I would have heard this in my graduation.  I might actually remember it, as opposed to my real graduation speech.