Trouble breathing (Read 869 times)

Darla1

Has anyone ever had the problem where they found it really, really hard to take a deep breath while running? I was towards the end of a long run (15 M) and I could not seem to catch my breath. I know that sounds like a normal thing, but I could not take a deep breath and fill my lungs. It felt like I had a tight belt around my chest (not painful) but constricting and I was taking several small breaths breathing really heavy. Scared me, I did slow down (not like I was really going fast in the first place) and it did go away. Just never happened to me before.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I sometimes experience a slight exercise-induced asthma when running in high-humidity, but that feels more like a narrowing of the airway. Take care of yourself and don't take any chances. I'm in GA and after a few scary ends to my runs, I've pretty much banished myself to the TM Tongue until our temps get cooler.
      ~ Fly ~
      Only as much as I dream can I be.
      veggies on the run
        I peeked at your log and saw that you rated this run a 10/10 for effort but only a 2/10 for quality. Seeing that you didn't put any notes about your run in there it sounds like you were running too fast. A long run should not have an effort of 10/10 and a quality so low as a 2/10. Shocked Something is wayyyyy out of balance here. Another clue was that you said you coudln't get a deep breath. Next time you go out for a long run, leave the watch at home, run by feel. If you start huffing and puffing for breath, you're running too fast for a long run. During a long run you should be able to speak comfortably and your breathing should be deeper than normal but not labored or with the feeling that you can't get a good breath in. Your pacing should feel like you could run that forever. You may have a bad long run every once in a while but you should always feel like you get something out of them. When I see ratings of 1, 2, or 3, that tells me you got little to nothing out of it because you effort was off the charts at a race pace (10/10). Terie
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm asthmatic (was exercise-induced for a few years, but as of this spring went persistent) and on meds (Advair 250/50) that work really well most of the time, but when it's humid I still struggle a LOT. How is your breathing when you run and the humidity and temperature are low? Have you talked to your doctor? I definitely would. Asthma can be very dangerous and is relatively easily treated...definitely worth looking into further.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ringmaster

Like Zoom, when you described it as a narrowing of the airway my ears perked up. It's one thing to breathe hard--like when you're running a tempo run or a 5k and you're just breathing hard cause man, this is a tough pace--and another to have a difficult time breathing b/c of an asthma attack or--what I've had--an allergic reaction. This is what I thought of when you described the constricting. I was diagnosed with allergy-induced asthma when I went to the dr over a stubborn cough. The dumb thing is that the cough was somewhat productive. I'd been on antibiotics about three months before for an upper-respiratory infection, so I figured that's what it was from, but the doctor could hear the wheezing. He put me on Advair for thirty days and the coughing stopped. Went off the Advair, coughing returned. I couldn't believe I was asthmatic b/c I never struggle to breathe when I run, but there you go. I mention this b/c you may have some symptoms you may think aren't related at all that may turn out to be significant. You might want to get a doctor to look at your lungs, or at the very least start tracking how your breathing is and whether pollen counts and humidity and other environmental factors affect your breathing.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Chris UK

I couldn't believe I was asthmatic b/c I never struggle to breathe when I run, but there you go.
              Me too. I gave up running in my early thirties partly due to issues with asthma. When I started running again 2 years ago I religiously took my inhaler with me. Now I don't bother and I believe running has definately helped with my (?allergy induced) asthma. You are right not to take any chances with asthma though particularly as it is quite easy to get diagnosed and properly medicated.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Yup... I get what you are describing when I'm having an asthma attack. It can almost feel like the belt you describe is tightening because you can't empty the lung completely. I think you should go and get your flow tested, it might be exercise induced if it only happens when you exercise. Or could be cold induced if it is winter where you live.
                The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                • Complete a 10K fun run
                Darla1

Oh, my gosh, I never even thought of asthma. And the coughing...last fall/winter had a cough that would not go away. I just chalked it up to winter in Minnesota. I will have this checked out. It scared me as I've never had this happen to me before. Thank you all for the advice and sharing.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, coughing is a major symptom of asthma. I think that wheezing stereotype has led a lot of folks to believe that asthmatics breathe loudly and gasp for breath all the time, but that's not the case. Before starting on Advair I would wake nearly every night for almost a month coughing a dry cough and feeling short-of-breath. I would use my albuterol inhaler and within minutes felt better and was able to fall back to sleep and not wake coughing, again. I have never really "wheezed," though. This past Spring is when my asthma got really bad. I finally knew I needed more than my inhaler when I was using it 2-3x/day, every day. And I ran a 25k race that was one big, long asthma attack. I trained so hard for that race and felt as if my lungs were holding me back the entire way. So frustrating, especially when fellow running friends who always finish a few minutes behind me were several minutes ahead of me. I KNEW I could have done so much better with fully functioning lungs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay