Runs @ 10+ Miles (Read 813 times)

Why is it sideways?

run more. Make your short runs longer.

A little nitpicky, but these are not the same. I just mention it because increasing frequency of running is where the OP is going to make her best gains right now.

Feeling the growl again

A increasing frequency of running is where the OP is going to make her best gains right now.

+1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sugnim

You guys are great.  I will add another day to my weekly runs, and then work on increasing each of those runs gradually.  Thanks so much for all the good advice & insight!

I do 10 plus mile runs all the time, it's part of my routine.  And when you keep doing it, you better be prepared to find ways to make yourself more comfortable.  Finding the right shoes is the best place to start.  Socks can make a difference too.  I also have arch supports in my shoes now.  They can really make a difference.

I'm in Montana.  Yesterday's run was in 0 degrees, there was about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, and it snowed for the first 5 miles or so.  Once I take everyone's advice on running more often, I might give you some good competition!

I've pretty much quit running in those kind of conditions.  Once the windchill gets below zero, I have a tough time keeping myself warm out there.  I got by today in 17 degree weather (12 degrees yesterday) , there was no snow to worry about though, and very little ice.

You guys are great.  I will add another day to my weekly runs, and then work on increasing each of those runs gradually.  Thanks so much for all the good advice & insight!

In addition to what everybody said, try slowing down, especially in the first half of the run.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog