AG Time? (Read 605 times)

Ojo

Can someone explain to me what this means? I guess I don't understand what the importance is and why it shows up on your race results. Thanks!

Sara

MM #2929

That's an age-graded time. It's really only meaningful if you're over 40, and gets more and more meaningful with age. It's calculated based on your age-graded score, which is how close you are to the world record for your age and gender as a percentage. For example, as a 21-year old, none of my times get age-graded. However, you can look at the times run by the 48-year-old woman I narrowly beat on Saturday and figure out that they're very close to the world record for that age. I ran a 30:16 8k, which isn't that good for a 21-year-old guy. She ran 30:17, which is phenomenal for a 48-year-old woman. You can look to the age-grading calculator, and they give my time a score of 70% and hers a score of 88%. You can use that to figure out that her 30:17 is age-graded to a 27:09 for an open woman, which is the age-graded time you're seeing. Comparing between genders, you can see that her running 30:17 is like me running 24 flat. http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html It doesn't make her faster than me, but it makes her a better runner than me.
      Ojo

Thank you so much! At least my AG puts me at a sub 2 half marathon . . . but I think I'll keep trying for a real one! Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

That's an age-graded time. It's really only meaningful if you're over 40, and gets more and more meaningful with age. It's calculated based on your age-graded score, which is how close you are to the world record for your age and gender as a percentage. For example, as a 21-year old, none of my times get age-graded. However, you can look at the times run by the 48-year-old woman I narrowly beat on Saturday and figure out that they're very close to the world record for that age. I ran a 30:16 8k, which isn't that good for a 21-year-old guy. She ran 30:17, which is phenomenal for a 48-year-old woman. You can look to the age-grading calculator, and they give my time a score of 70% and hers a score of 88%. You can use that to figure out that her 30:17 is age-graded to a 27:09 for an open woman, which is the age-graded time you're seeing. Comparing between genders, you can see that her running 30:17 is like me running 24 flat.
          Actually, younger athletes, such as yourself, do have AG results that vary from open standards. The WMA age-grading calculator yields AG equivalents for a 21-year old, although the variations from the open standard isn't very great. For instance, your 8k time of 30:16 yields an "AG Result" of 30:09, an AG "Factor" of .9961 (age standard relative to open standard) and an "Age performance %" of 70.32. This table lists the "AG Factors" for each track and field event. As it shows, for men, a factor of "1" begins at age 23 for all road racing distances, applies up to age 27 for races up to 8k, then extends with increasing race distance up to age 35 for the marathon and longer distances. Thus, runners younger than 23 and older than the upper end of the range for each race (27-35) have AG results that are faster than their actual time.
          berlin0099

This is interesting online game play text twist free online i am sure you can play very easy.