PT to help shins heal (Read 889 times)

I had a bad case of shin pain a couple months ago that led to about 6 weeks off from running. I started back slowly and still had some slight pain on occasion, but no where near as bad. I went to the running store last week and the owner had a hunch that my shoes were worn out, so I bought new shoes (he is trustworthy). Still had some pain when running with the new shoes (Brooks Glycerin 6). I went to the podiatrist this week and he says its not "shin splints" specifically, but didn't name the exact diagnosis. He believes that the original injury didn't have time to heal in the 6 weeks I took off and that's why its still sore (he also pointed out that my shins are slightly bruised, which I really hadn't noticed before-- they are very slightly blue/green). Podiatrist referred me to physical therapy to do some sort of ice and ultrasound treatment to help it heal. Has anyone had this done before? Did it work well? THanks in advance!! Smile --Anna
      Bump.... Anybody??

flatland mountaineer

I went to a pt for shin splints on the inside of the leg, probably helped some, pt recommended more of a support shoe, that helped alot. The pt did the ultrasound thing, and some kind of electrical stimulation thing also some more traditional stretches etc..

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Half Fanatic #846

Since I'm prone to " shin splints" here and there, part of my daily routine is a few minutes of ankle and lower leg strengthening exercises to help put less pressure on my joints and shins when I'm running - seems to help, although I've never run to the point of pain, just mild discomfort beforte I stop. I just took a week off from running due to some shin discomfort (from overtraining I think), and am back to okay for now. I've never been to a PT for this, but last summer I had Anterior Compartment fasciotomy outpatient surgery for " shin splints" (a VERY general term for several medically different ailments), and was running again in 2-3 weeks - no PT was prescribed, and that problem was corrected. My big concern is the possibility of a stress fracture - that I really don't want!! I'm in neutral cushioned shoes, but might check out stability shoes to see if that helps. See a sports doc for "shin splints" - it could be anything from a slightly strained muscle to a stress fracture IMHO. Sorry I can't answer your question directly - Good Luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Marathonjunkie

Ice Cream Man

I had a bad case of shin pain a couple months ago that led to about 6 weeks off from running. I started back slowly and still had some slight pain on occasion, but no where near as bad. I went to the running store last week and the owner had a hunch that my shoes were worn out, so I bought new shoes (he is trustworthy). Still had some pain when running with the new shoes (Brooks Glycerin 6). I went to the podiatrist this week and he says its not "shin splints" specifically, but didn't name the exact diagnosis. He believes that the original injury didn't have time to heal in the 6 weeks I took off and that's why its still sore (he also pointed out that my shins are slightly bruised, which I really hadn't noticed before-- they are very slightly blue/green). Podiatrist referred me to physical therapy to do some sort of ice and ultrasound treatment to help it heal. Has anyone had this done before? Did it work well? THanks in advance!! Smile --Anna
            Anna, the PT will get you healed up and I would certainly recommend seeing a doctor for advice especially for the bruising. Usually, pain in the shin, if not caused by blunt trauma, is more often caused by a muscle imbalance. As runners, we spend so much time using our calf muscles to propel us forward that it becomes much stronger than any of the shin muscles. Thus, an imbalance occurs. The simple solution is to run backwards and accentuate the reverse motion of running. Often times this is called working the antagonistic muscle of running. I usually spend about 2 or 3 minutes running backwards on my easy days. It doesn't take much to work in the imbalance. If the shins become strong enough to withstand the strong calf contraction they are less likely to fatigue and pull at the shin bone. I would also encourage a good bit of passive stretching and contract relax stretching for the shins and the calf. Weak tight muscles will almost assuredly lead to an injury over time. Good luck with the recovery.
            Some guys will do anything for Ice Cream.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

marathonjunkie? Chuck. Is that you?
              Marathonjunkie

Ice Cream Man

marathonjunkie? Chuck. Is that you?
                Hey Trent, I had a runner friend from Simpsonville on myspace that told me you were over here chatting and giving out free advice. Thought I would chime in for a moment or two. Hope all is well in Nashvegas.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

heh. You get what you pay for Wink I kinda live over here....when I am not running away from monkeys. House hangs out here too...
                  Marathonjunkie

Ice Cream Man

heh. You get what you pay for Wink I kinda live over here....when I am not running away from monkeys. House hangs out here too...
                    I have seen a few familiar names on the list. In this day and age, how can you beat free?
                      Thanks for the replies. I just went to my second appointment with PT this morning. Let me first say, OUCH!!! Second, I think it's working.... He is mainly doing massage of the inside of my shins to break up the scar tissue. "Massage" is kinda misleading. Smile The first time hurt like a mutha Shocked Shocked I literally thought I was going to pass out, it hurt so bad. He ran his thumbs up my shins from the ankle to the knee with A LOT of pressure for about 15 minutes on each leg. Really thought I was gonna die. Then he did the ultrasound thing with some antiinflammatory cream. It was pretty swollen in certain spots for the next few days and very sore. Black eye Today was not nearly as bad, so I hope that means it's working. I've got one more appointment scheduled, so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you updated! I'm really ready to start running again.

Me and my RP

Hey Trent, I had a runner friend from Simpsonville on myspace that told me you were over here chatting and giving out free advice. Thought I would chime in for a moment or two. Hope all is well in Nashvegas.
                        Shocked Chuck's here!Smile
                        Marathonjunkie

Ice Cream Man

Shocked Chuck's here!Smile
                          Every now and then. Thanks for the invite JM. Hope the running is going well. Love the new photo on myspace. Keep running.

Me and my RP

Every now and then. Thanks for the invite JM. Hope the running is going well. Love the new photo on myspace. Keep running.
                            ThanksSmile I see you're taking the weekend off?? I hope you have a perfectly good reason for that... Wink
                            Marathonjunkie

Ice Cream Man

ThanksSmile I see you're taking the weekend off?? I hope you have a perfectly good reason for that... Wink
                              Taking the weekend off.....whaaaaa?????????? No, no my dear virginal marathoner, I simply said I was not running one marathon this weekend and taking a plane flight to not do one. Perhaps the inference was that I would be taking the weekend off. But I am simply not running one marathon this weekend. And yes I have a perfectly good reason for it. I am feeling kinda frisky and need to get out of the state for a bit.

A Saucy Wench

I went to a PT for BAD shinsplints that I had ignored until I had grape size nodules ..they did a technique called ASTYM on me...worked FABULOUSLY. Hurt like sin.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7