The 30th Annual Detroit Free Press Marathon (Read 1731 times)

Marathonmanleto

The 30th Annual Detroit Free Press Marathon was held today under clear skies and warm temps. We leave for downtown at 6:00am after picking up my sister-in-law. With a half-marathon, a relay marathon and a 5k race the downtown area was a buzz of activity. In addition, there is a Detroit Lions football homegame scheduled to begin at 1:00pm. My wife, her sister and the two boys participate in the 5k. We are joined by my best friend Bill who drives down to offer his support at various points along the course. The race starts early at 7:15am. After a motown edition of our National Anthem under dark skies we are marshaled into our corrals for the start. Race time temperature is 59 degrees with a gusty Southwest wind at 10-25mph. The race unfolds beautifully with a rising pink sun over The Detroit River as we cross the Ambassador Bridge into Canada. After a few effortless miles we turn into the Detroit Windsor Tunnel which takes us back to downtown Detroit. Passing the old Tiger Stadium it seems too easy at mile 11. Two miles later I encounter my family and friends at the halfway point. I cruise past feeling good in 1:29:35. High fives are exchanged and I’m off to The Frederick Law Olmstead designed gem past her prime—Belle Isle Park, which sits squarely in the middle of the Detroit River. The bridge over and back takes it’s toll on my now tiring hams, but I’m still on pace to break three hours and all things considered feeling pretty good. At mile twenty I’m joined by a training partner who’s running New York in three weeks. She helps maintain pace through historic Indian Village. At mile 21 a business associate also joins us for a mile and offers more encouragement, but I’m beginning to feel the effects of the miles now. At mile 23 we turn West and head into a stiff head wind which continues unabated for the balance of the race. At mile 25 my friend Bill does what he can to offer his support, but I was hurting pretty bad. I remember hearing my split time of 2:54:00 at 25. From here we run through Detroit’s Greek Town district and to the finish at the recently revitalized Campus Martius district. My partner runs me to mile 25 which I will be forever grateful for. Although my finish time of 3:04:00 is short of my goal I am pleased for having done my best today. In the 5K, Henry, my youngest son finished first in the 9-11 (22:58) age group and Nick my oldest finished 7th in the 12-14 age group (25:03). It was a slow start due to the number of entrants and the course layout, but it was a terrific way for them to participate.

Imminent Catastrophe

3:04? Heck, I'd be pretty proud of that performance. Congratualtions! Detroit is one I want to do, running across the border and all that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Joe, that race has always sounded so great to me. Maybe after I have a GR Marathon under my belt I will do Detroit. And it's awesome that your son's did so well in their 5ks, too! I think your time is fabulous, especially in this godawful wind! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Nice job, Joe. Sounds like you had a pretty good race to me. Big grin

Tick tock

Congrats Joe!! What a time! Sounds like it was a great race, and to top it off your kids did so well! How nice that your wife and SIL run and were able to share the day too! Great job!!

Another Passion

Well done, Joe!! I can't even begin to fathom how you, and so many others, can run so fast for so long! That's one heck of a finish time Joe. A hearty congratulations to your boys too! Cool

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

mikeymike

Congratulations, Joe! Nice work.

Runners run

Me and my gang in Breck

Nice Job Joe! Dam your fast!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Wow! Nice job, Joe. Like others said - you are freaking fast! Congrats.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I would love to run well enough for a 3:04 marathon to be short of goal. Very impressive time, well done!

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Marathonmanleto

Thanks guys--no sour grapes here. Glad to be able to run--We all want to accomplish our goals whatever they are. It's all relative...glad to get back to leisurely short runs again.

Think Whirled Peas

Great race, joe! and thanks for the report. It's so nice to get a peak inside the (twisted, demented and insane) brain of the fast and talented runners (w/much affection, of course Big grin). Seriously though, it's nice to know that, irrespective of pace, every runner goes through hell and back in a race. You need to know that you're an inspiration for guys like me who want to get faster, be better, and to KEEP GOING! Thanks for letting us in!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Great race, joe! and thanks for the report. It's so nice to get a peak inside the (twisted, demented and insane) brain of the fast and talented runners (w/much affection, of course Big grin). Seriously though, it's nice to know that, irrespective of pace, every runner goes through hell and back in a race. You need to know that you're an inspiration for guys like me who want to get faster, be better, and to KEEP GOING! Thanks for letting us in!
                            Well that's what I meant to say, it's just that POQ did a much better job of it. If it wouldn't violate copyright laws, I'd hit modify and copy and paste it into my first post. Then I'd accuse POQ of plagiarism. Smile

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Now that was a bath...

Wow - you are uber-fast! When I run mt first marathon will you carry me? Claire xxx
                            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Another Passion

Wow - you are uber-fast! When I run mt first marathon will you carry me? Claire xxx
                                PICK ME!! PICK ME!!! Hehehe Big grin Won't be hardly as fast though. Sad

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com