Last Year's shirt at this year's race. (Read 364 times)

So whats the unspoken thing here. Is it cool or lame or who cares to wear last years shirt at this year's race. Or wearing another race shirt at another race.  I know it is all personal but still curious what others think.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

bluerun

Super B****

After "who cares" (everyone can wear what they want), I'd rather wear last year's shirt than this year's shirt!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Fanatic #846

If I paid the entry fee, I'll wear whatever I want. Everybody else's shirt (or no shirt) is just fine. But last year's shoes - well, that's another story...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

So whats the unspoken thing here. Is it cool or lame or who cares to wear last years shirt at this year's race.

you could really freak everyone out by:

1. turning up in a sliver Delorean, &
          2. wear next year's finishers shirt during the race.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

ohhayitskk

I've done it. I'm comfortable with it. But God forbid you wear this year's shirt at this year's race...

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Last year's shirt is not as cool as the shirt from the 1975 race, but it'll do.

Wear this year's shirt? Major faux pas. Kind of like wearing a hydration belt for a 5K.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I've never done it, but what is the big deal with wearing this year's shirt at a race? I don't get it, but then again, I'm not known for my coolness.....

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

bluerun

Super B****

I've never done it, but what is the big deal with wearing this year's shirt at a race? I don't get it, but then again, I'm not known for my coolness.....

Race T-shirt Etiquette

Study it well. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

an amazing likeness

While it is rule #24, it's some silly thing that the cool folks snicker about. Who cares what shirt you're wearing...really.  But there's one thing to it...an untested new shirt means new seams and nipple-shredding graphics that you don't know about.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zonykel

But there's one thing to it...an untested new shirt means new seams and nipple-shredding graphics that you don't know about.

+1

I also like to wash a new shirt before I wear it. I typically wouldn't have that opportunity with a race shirt.

jfa

Race T-shirt Etiquette

Study it well. 

You just can't go wrong by listening to JK's advice.

Latent Runner

Race T-shirt Etiquette

Study it well. 

Thanks, I really enjoyed the list; I've never seen that one before.  That said, Rule 12 (reprinted below), which caused me to spray tea all over the screen, hit a little close to home.  Why?  I got tagged by a skunk a couple of months ago during a nighttime trail run, and I still cannot get the shirt and shorts I was wearing that night to smell even remotely tolerable.  Sad

12. Your t-shirt should be kept clean, but dried blood stains are okay, especially if it is a trail race or a particularly tough event. If you're an ultrarunner, you can even leave in mud and grass stains, (and porcupine quills). Not washing-out the skunk scent is pushing the macho thing a bit too far, though.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                          • 2-mile: 13:49
                          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                          • 5-Mile: 37:24
                          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

I've done it. I'm comfortable with it. But God forbid you wear this year's shirt at this year's race...

That's right. JK's race advice is great- the only thing I would add to that list is to remember to cut your toenails before a marathon.

DDXD

Slower than I look

6. A DNF’er may wear a race shirt if... the letters DNF are boldly written on the shirt in question (using a fat Sharpie or a Marks-A-Lot).

I have yet to DNF, but if and when I do, I am certainly going to put rule #6 into practice.

#artbydmcbride

Thanks, I really enjoyed the list; I've never seen that one before.  That said, Rule 12 (reprinted below), which caused me to spray tea all over the screen, hit a little close to home.  Why?  I got tagged by a skunk a couple of months ago during a nighttime trail run, and I still cannot get the shirt and shorts I was wearing that night to smell even remotely tolerable.  Sad

soak it overnight in tomato juice.  Then wash

Runners run