Mean dog (Read 1337 times)

HOSS1961

Why should I have to run (potentially) 18 - 20 miles carrying poultry? Next time I will kick them in the throat and then stamp on their heads if they get close to my baby.
    Yep...then the owner for being a dumb a$$
    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
    Ringmaster

I've actually been bitten by a dog that was on a leash. I was running down the street in one direction, and as I passed a guy walking his dog in the other direction, the dog jumped up and sank its teeth into my hip. The owner didn't even pause - he just said "bad dog" in a voice that showed that he clearly didn't care and kept walking. Owners who don't know how to control their pets really are the problem.
      Great . . . now I have a whole new problem. Smile

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

It's not the dogs fault if he chases you into the road, it's the owner's fault. You should call animal control so that they can have a chat with the owner to keep the dog safe from hurting itself or hurting somebody else. I made an enemy of somebody that lived relatively close to me in college who used to let his dog chase us. He got mad that I kept calling animal control, but he started leashing his dog while I was there. Once I wasn't running by anymore, though, he went right back to leaving the dog off the leash in his yard, and the next year when I moved back the dog had been put down because it killed a 10 year old on a bike. For more immediate advice on what you can do while a dog is chasing you: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/09/26/what-do-you-do-if-a-dog-wants-to-chase-you.html

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Then you should love dog owners, since they will be providing you business in the future.
          As they have everywhere I've worked. Including in EMS, where taking a header over one's dog appeared to be a much more widespread problem than I would have previously thought.
          Nope, and that was neither stated nor implied. I was just curious, given that you live a stone's throw away.
          Then I apologize, because what you probably aren't aware of is that Harvard Medical school is not in Cambridge on the main campus. It's actually out near Fenway, which would be a pretty hefty commute for me.
            As they have everywhere I've worked. Including in EMS, where taking a header over one's dog appeared to be a much more widespread problem than I would have previously thought.
            This is without question the greatest threat my furry speedbump poses to anyone, but I'll be sure to keep him on a short leash whenever you pass us on the bikepath. Big grin

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Anyone who hates kids and dogs can't be all bad.... Wink
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone who hates kids and dogs can't be all bad.... Wink
                But people who hate cats are scum of the Earth... Evil grin (BTW, love your profile pic...we have 4 of those rascals. They keep finding us. And we are suckers.)

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I loves cats! Especially barbecued Evil grin (ducks for cover)

Junior Amphibian

Get a pepper spray. Even though some states may have a prohibition against carrying pepper sprays against humans, strangely enough it's usually quite legal to carry them for protection against bears... and dogs.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

jburgett

Keep in mind that this was your first time trying out a new route....if the owner had no reasonable expectation that anyone would be running by, they probably thought it was OK for the dog to be outside off-leash. Getting back to the original post, I recommend that you stop and talk to the owner and ask that she introduce you to the dog so that the dog is familiar with you--that alone might stop it from chasing you. At the very least, it won't perceive you as a threat so it probably won't bite you. I wouldn't jump to calling the animal control people unless it's a continuing problem. And I would NOT recommend taking treats with you unless you want the dog to follow you home too. Again, my perspective is somewhat different because I come from a place where it's commonplace to have dogs off-leash, both in their yards and out walking them too. We even have a couple of dogs that sleep in the middle of Main Street. But don't hate all of us dog-owners, when you're running or any other time.
                      I also live in a RURAL area (with no leash law). . . . and I have stopped and talked to 90 year old Granny Cox. She said, "I got that dog because he won't let anyone in the yard." Great . . . but I'm not in your yard. And by the way - I LOVE DOGS!