Free Running Shoes for folks in Maine on July 4th (Read 437 times)

If you live in Maine or will be vacationing up here around the Fourth of July (and I highly recommend it - Maine has great Summers even if they are short) then you should register for the LL Bean 10k now! http://news.runtowin.com/2008/03/26/free-running-shoes-ll-bean-10k.html The race is offering a free pair of running shoes to the first 400 who preregister before mid-May, along with a technical t-shirt for the first 700 registered. It's $17 (Plus the $3 active fee.) There's usually some good competition at the race, although it can get pretty hot some years. A friend of mine is one of the race organizers, so he gave me the heads up a little early about the free shoes. I figured that I'd share the wealth of knowledge, as it were. The shoes are Brooks 1062s, which retail for $120. So basically you get $100 off by registering for the race (assuming you are amongst the first 400.)

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Blaine, thanks for the heads-up. How does it compare to B2B for hilliness?

Well, the Beach to Beacon actually has a net downhill of about 25 feet... If I recall correctly (it's been a few years) the first couple of miles are pretty flat/easy, and then towards the middle and end of the race you have a couple of good risers to get yourself back towards Main St. In terms of difficulty, the race is right in Freeport, and the Atlantic doesn't seem to cool things off any so it seems to be pretty hot every year that I ran it.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hmm, I don't do well in heat, so I think I will skip it. I have only the one 10k under my belt, anyway. Maybe I will try it in 2009, when I have a little more experience. The shirt and shoes sound good!

Hmm, I don't do well in heat, so I think I will skip it. I have only the one 10k under my belt, anyway. Maybe I will try it in 2009, when I have a little more experience. The shirt and shoes sound good!
            Well, if your son wants to run and you don't mind getting up early, Stephen is looking for help setting up the course and breaking down afterwards. I can get you in touch with him if you want.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's a thought! Since he's not running B2B, he might be interested. It's hard for him to find 10ks that fit in with his schedule. I'll let you know.