What to eat before 5am run? (Read 1327 times)

MrsScants

I'm so surprised with all the suggestions fro junk! Cookies? Pop tarts? What about yogurt, half a protein shake, a bit of fruit...something healthy! 

xor

This thread was started by a pregnant runner and the best advice I saw was Ennay's "whatever is palatable that day".  If yogurt, a protein shake, or fruit are palatable, then sure.  If not, no.  Something at 5a before a 3-5 mile run isn't being consumed for fuel on the run... it's really about blood sugar, clearing brain fog, and getting the body moving.  A single oreo or a fig newton?  In the big scheme kind of not going to matter nutrition-wise, and it does the trick.  Well, provided it does the trick and doesn't cause nausea.

After the run?  A nice healthy breakfast, definitely.

Provided it works and stays down that day.

I'm so surprised with all the suggestions fro junk! Cookies? Pop tarts? What about yogurt, half a protein shake, a bit of fruit...something healthy! 

Is sugar laden yogurt really that much better than a pop tart?

But what SRL said -- look at the OP

MrsScants

Is sugar laden yogurt really that much better than a pop tart?

But what SRL said -- look at the OP

Not all yogurt is "sugar laden"...and I'm well aware she is a pregnant female - I'm female as well, and pregnancy is not a license to eat cookies.  I was only trying to say there are more nutritious options and I'm sure something other than cookies and pop tarts could be found to calm the nausea.

Not all yogurt is "sugar laden"...and I'm well aware she is a pregnant female - I'm female as well, and pregnancy is not a license to eat cookies.  I was only trying to say there are more nutritious options and I'm sure something other than cookies and pop tarts could be found to calm the nausea.

It appears that I frequently operated without a license.

I eat a banana and a whole wheat bagel (with butter).  For shorter runs you could probably stick with just the banana

I was unaware anyone needed a license to eat cookies.  I've been trying to get pregnant for all the wrong reasons.  It's entirely possible to eat cookies and still have a healthy, balanced diet. 

I also have to agree with srlopez--it's not like a small snack in the morning pre-run is indicative of a dietary problem.  My box of pop tarts I bought before my last race (three weeks ago) is still there, minus two.  It's waiting for the next race.  Or for when my license comes.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

I'd go with a fig newton or two, those were one of the few things I could eat first trimester when feeling really barfy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

The Runner Life

I usually just do a small granola bar and a glass of water if it's that early.

loseweightblues0

Being pregnant i think you can eat ice chips or crackers  to prevent nausea but it would be advisable to just take a long walk for the mean time (because of your case) and i think you can resume running right after you recover from childbirth Smile

Feeling the growl again

Being pregnant i think you can eat ice chips or crackers  to prevent nausea but it would be advisable to just take a long walk for the mean time (because of your case) and i think you can resume running right after you recover from childbirth Smile

Lots of women run pregnant, with their doctor's approval.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills