Treating Minor Injury 2 Days Before Half Marathon (Read 34 times)

farhad_5mor

Hi everybody,

Sorry for such a rushed entrance but there will be a half marathon this weekend and I, 41 years old man, amd going to participate without any expectation but finishing till end.

I was practicing and run for more than two hours a couple of sessions and 3 days ago I went for running for almost 2 hours and half and now I have small pain in my muscle below the right knee in the back and feel some minor pain in my right calf.

What should I do in less than 48 hours to make it go away?

I totally can do cold shower/fasting and other relatively challenging action.

I am ok with canceling and it is not a huge deal but since this is my first time I want to do anything that I can.

Any thoughts and helps will be greatly appreciated.

SMART Approach

Follow a training plan. No plan has a newbie running over 2 hours a few days before. Learn from this. This is training error. Just walk until race day. On event day, get area loose and do a walk run method. Walk by choice vs needing to. Run comfy 5-10 min walk 1 minute. Repeat.  Follow this strategy. If feeling good with 2-3 miles left, bring it home. I cannot comment on your aches. It is likely overstress response. It should feel bettef in a couple days. If not, you make the call. I will say, don't ice as this will delay recovery.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mr MattM

What he said.

Pretty much take it easy until the race.  There is no magic way to make it go away.  It either will or it won't.  I agree with the Run/Walk approach to the half marathon.  Just go out with the idea that you will enjoy the day and make it to the finish.  Unless it's more than a 'small pain' I think you can make it.

be curious; not judgmental

MelisaNaquin

Running a marathon is not easy, you have to be well prepared. I read on https://editius.com/thesis-editing-services/ that you should do a warm-up before any run, so as not to pull any muscles. This site is also full of other useful information.

billyroberts

No reason provided
            meatsa

Just go about your day with the expectation that you will have fun and make it all the way to the end. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting through it unless it's more than just a "little ache."

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/retro bowl