Venturing away from the iPod? (Read 1366 times)

I've had my 30g iPod for about 2 years now, and it's been begging for retirement for awhile now. The right third of the screen is black (due to an unexpected encounter with concrete), and now it's starting to randomly freeze on me. Today it froze in the middle of my run which didn't make me too happy Roll eyes Anyway, I guess it's time to suck it up and buy a new mp3 player. Although I do like the iPod, does anyone have any recommendations for other brands? I would be running with it, but I also plug it into my car and use it when walking to class. I like to keep my entire music collection on it (right now it's around 5 gb), and I love the fact that I can make playlists (but I guess just about all have that feature?) So, what do you use or recommend?
    He taught me to run high on my toes. I will always remember his words: run proud and remember you are alive.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd recommend an iPod. Actually, consider two. One for your drive, with a big hard drive and a screen, and a smaller one with flash memory for your run.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd recommend an iPod. Actually, consider two. One for your drive, with a big hard drive and a screen, and a smaller one with flash memory for your run.
        Ditto. I have a 2nd gen. Nano, but wish I had a Shuffle for running. If I wanted more memory and something compatible with using in the car I'd probably get a larger iPod for that purpose.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

One question is whether you have a bunch of purchased songs from the iTunes music store -- specifically, protected AACs. Those won't play on other players. That's how all of the manufacturers, Apple included, have been operating until just this year. See my post on DRM for more details, and for ways to get DRM free music. (Addendum: Warner just added their catalog to Amazon as unprotected Mp3's! More DRM-free music!) As an avowed Apple fanboy, I can't give unbiased advice on other players. True, there are some players out there that may beat iPods feature-for-feature. But for total user interface and seamless ease of use, I still think the iPod is tops. I think a great player is the current nano. Since your music collection is only 5GB (I say only because mine is around 50GB), an 8GB nano would work for you. It's small and has flash memory, so it would be great on the run. And it does video. The screen is small, but the pixel density is extremely high, so it's got an incredibly sharp picture. By comparison, the flash-based Zune has a bigger screen, but the same number of pixels, so the images are blurrier than on the nano. As zzom-zoom mentioned, the Shuffle is a good, inexpensive, running only option. Trent has a good point in that you could get an 80GB classic for larger storage, and Shuffle for the run. BTW, the 30GB model you current have, like any hard-drive based model, isn't really meant for exercising. Hard drives don't like to bounce. Whatever you get, make sure it's flash memory-based if you want to run with it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

koda

Good call I have an old mini for the car and travel, and a new shuffle for running

Beatin' on the Rock

Ditto. I have a 2nd gen. Nano, but wish I had a Shuffle for running. If I wanted more memory and something compatible with using in the car I'd probably get a larger iPod for that purpose.
              I LOVE my shuffle! I'm a running/bpm/music addict, can't get along well, or very far, without it. The clip on the shuffle makes it titsover the nano. Both my daughters are on their 2nd nano... my shuffle keeps going, and going... Yes
              Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I LOVE my shuffle! I'm a running/bpm/music addict, can't get along well, or very far, without it. The clip on the shuffle makes it titsover the nano. Both my daughters are on their 2nd nano... my shuffle keeps going, and going... Yes
                OMG...I just had to comment on your avatar...it confused me for a minute. For about a month before I put Hermey up I had that opera chick. I'm Scandinavian and originally from WI (and LOVE cheese)! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Beatin' on the Rock

OMG...I just had to comment on your avatar...it confused me for a minute. For about a month before I put Hermey up I had that opera chick. I'm Scandinavian and originally from WI (and LOVE cheese)! k
                  I just love her! I consider myself a Viking (Norwegian & Swedish grandparents), and there's the matter of the size of me... she just seems to fit! I promise I won't steal Hermey. Maybe... Evil grin
                  Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                  ChristianT

I have a shuffle for running and an 8GB nano for everything else. The shuffle really is the best option for running. I have close to 200 songs on it, which is enough variety for me on the run. -Christian
                      Shuffle for running..... 80GB iPod video for all other use. I hate iTunes! I use the winamp plug-in for the shuffle. Jason

Running safely

As to the playlist issue, I have tried making a playlist in Windows Media Player. It is just not the same experience. The MP3 player I was using used WMP as its media manager. I don't know what other software packages do for playlists, but if you are used to iTunes, you may be disappointed with anything else. And as for podcasts, I don't have much experience with other players, but I just can't imagine there being a simpler way to manage podcasts than on an iPod. I am a podcast junkie. If you use and love another player, you probably don't know the joy of using an iPod. Therefore you don't mind what you have. If you have ever used an iPod, you probably won't be satisfied with anything else.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just love her! I consider myself a Viking (Norwegian & Swedish grandparents), and there's the matter of the size of me... she just seems to fit! I promise I won't steal Hermey. Maybe... Evil grin
                          Big grin I'm about a quarter Swede, 1/8 Norske, 1/8 Dane (our son's name is even Dane). We know that 1/4 is Scot. from my mom's mom, but my mom was adopted and never found her bio dad's ID, so I'm at least 1/8 Heinz 57. Smile Anyhow, I'm pasty and have big legs, so I can totally sympathize. I will never have small thighs...I could be a size 2 (yeah, like that'll ever happen *snort*) and still be all legs. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

juki

Another Viking chick with thunder thighs here (Norwegian extraction). Girls, it's all muscle. (At least I know it's all muscle under that fat.) I bet I could kill someone in 30 seconds with just my legs.
                            quagga

A Shuffle fan here, too. Even though I'm a newbie, or maybe because I'm a newbie, I hate fiddling with stuff while I'm running. I just load it up before I start and keep going. The integrated clip is great.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Girls, it's all muscle. (At least I know it's all muscle under that fat.) I bet I could kill someone in 30 seconds with just my legs.
                                Heh, in HS I was a cheerleader (bottom of the pyramids), played soccer, and ran track (sprinter). Once one of the big football players dared me to kick him...so I did. And he literally had tears in his eyes. I made a 250+# football player cry. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay