2011 Gardening Thread (Read 1783 times)

Not sure if I've ever seen one or not.  Last year we had a lot of hummingbirds around, saw one every week or so.  This year, haven't seen any.  Now I'm starting to wonder if these were moths.

How big are they?

It was just about the size of a humming bird.  It moved like one,  it even hovered.  But, what it did was actually "land" on a flower.  Humingbirds don't do that.  When it finally landed, I had a chance to look at it's wings, and that's when I realized it was an insect...  But, it has a fuzzy body with green fur, so it looked an awful like a ruby hummingbird.   

I can't tell you much it freaked me out, at first.  I was like "it's a hummingbird"  " no, it's a bee"  " no , it's a hummingbird" etc etc..  

I've learned they are common in Missouri.  

For a second there, I almost thought it was an alien. I went straight to the computer ,and found him right away.   I can't wait to see him again!!!! 

- Anya

It was just about the size of a humming bird.  It moved like one,  it even hovered.  But, what it did was actually "land" on a flower.  Humingbirds don't do that.  When it finally landed, I had a chance to look at it's wings, and that's when I realized it was an insect...  But, it has a fuzzy body with green fur, so it looked an awful like a ruby hummingbird.   

I can't tell you much it freaked me out, at first.  I was like "it's a hummingbird"  " no, it's a bee"  " no , it's a hummingbird" etc etc..  

I've learned they are common in Missouri.  

For a second there, I almost thought it was an alien. I went straight to the computer ,and found him right away.   I can't wait to see him again!!!! 

Sounds like a pretty damn big bug then!  Bigger than a bumblebee.  It would have freaked me out too!

Although, Luna moths are much larger than that.

Jeff

The hummingbird moth (there are many) could be a sphinx moth whose eggs hatch into the tomato hornworm caterpillar which can consume a tomato plant once its big enough. Keep your eye out for them if you like your tomatoes!

Here is a link:

http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/hornworm.htm

Regarding moths...

I see quite a few (well, more than 3, less than 10) white moths flying around my veggie garden.

Bad?  Good?  I mean, once their in this state, they've already done the damage, right?

Or, are they laying eggs that will kill my plants later on?

I could get out the insectiside soap, but it's such a pain spraying UNDER all those leaves.  Especially now with my dense, 6 ft. high tomato plants.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Regarding moths...

I see quite a few (well, more than 3, less than 10) white moths flying around my veggie garden.

Bad?  Good?  I mean, once their in this state, they've already done the damage, right?

Or, are they laying eggs that will kill my plants later on?

I could get out the insectiside soap, but it's such a pain spraying UNDER all those leaves.  Especially now with my dense, 6 ft. high tomato plants.

In most cases I believe that the worms cocoon themselves and overwinter in the soil.  They pupate and emerge as moths in the spring.  The moths lay their eggs.  The eggs hatch and it's the worms that do the damage, feeding on your plants.

Squash vine borers are an example of this.  The worms burrow into the stems of the squash and feed on them.  It eventually kills the plant.  Thing is though, that the moths are gone by mid July.  So I wait until then to plant my squash.  No borers.

Sometimes, not always, you can avoid pests by planting at the right time.

Not at it at all. 

In most cases I believe that the worms cocoon themselves and overwinter in the soil.  They pupate and emerge as moths in the spring.  The moths lay their eggs.  The eggs hatch and it's the worms that do the damage, feeding on your plants.

Squash vine borers are an example of this.  The worms burrow into the stems of the squash and feed on them.  It eventually kills the plant.  Thing is though, that the moths are gone by mid July.  So I wait until then to plant my squash.  No borers.

So is there any (*safe*) way to kill these beasties BEFORE you do any planting?

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

Except Japanese beetles.  They are the demon scourge.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Ssshhhhhhh!  Don't wake them up.  This is year number 3 of very few Japanese Beetles.  We had a real wet summer a few years back and they must not like that.  Since that summer they haven't been bad.  Before that, however, yes they were the demon scourge.  I've seen them defoliate 20 foot trees in a matter of a couple of days.  Usually they are swarming pretty good by the July 4 holiday but very few this year,

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

So is there any (*safe*) way to kill these beasties BEFORE you do any planting?

None that I am aware of.

Not at it at all. 

Does the type of beer matter when putting out slug traps? I know to add a little yeast to the trap. The slugs are doing a number on my basil plants and I don't want to spay soap on leaves I'm going to eat. 

Prince of Fatness

Does the type of beer matter when putting out slug traps? I know to add a little yeast to the trap. The slugs are doing a number on my basil plants and I don't want to spay soap on leaves I'm going to eat. 

Yes, it certainly does matter.  Never waste good beer on slugs.  Coors Light will do.  And I never bothered with yeast.  I just put the beer out and the slugs drowned in it.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

GAH I remember hand picking those damn things off the plants and drowning them in kerosene.  That apparently was the organic method of dealing with them

We dont seem to have them here, possibly too wet and cold for them

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks. I now have a use for all the leftover Bud Light from July 4th. Never had such a slug problem before. Leaves are getting chowed on. not just the edges, but lots of holes in the middle so I'm assuming slugs. Japanese beetles are around but they have plenty of Norway maples to destroy. 

Prince of Fatness

Never had such a slug problem before. Leaves are getting chowed on. not just the edges, but lots of holes in the middle so I'm assuming slugs.

I used to get them on my marigolds quite often.  Haven't had them in a couple of years.  Usually you'll see slime on the plant as well as holes.

If you ever actually see them and you want to have some fun sprinkle some table salt on them.  That pretty much melts them.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

GAH I remember hand picking those damn things off the plants and drowning them in kerosene.  That apparently was the organic method of dealing with them

We dont seem to have them here, possibly too wet and cold for them

I use Sevin.  By the time I spray my vines there are THOUSANDS of them.

Right now we may be entering a drought.  I have to go out in 120 degree heat index tonight and water about 30 young trees and turn the sprinklers on the gardens overnight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills