Hopefully a simple Garmin question (Read 166 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have a Garmin ForeRunner10. I got it for Christmas, but got injured during my first run with it and just started running again, so it is still very new to me.

Wore it to my 5K on Sunday. After I stopped it when I crossed the finish line, a message popped up that I had a new record for fastest mile @ 9:45. However, the splits for my race, according to the Garmin were:

10:22

10:25

10:30

last .14 (course was long?) 1:14

Now, when I uploaded my data onto GarminConnect, it told me that my total time for my 3rd mile was 10:30, but total moving time was 10:03 (I took water at an aid station and had some issues drinking and moving so I stopped to drink a few sips). But that still doesn't give me 9:45. So, the conclusion I am drawing is that your "fastest mile" is not your fastest mile SPLIT but the fastest time you ran a mile in at any point during a recorded run? So, for example, even though mile 3 was 10:30 and the last .14 was 1:14, the last mile of the race (mile 2.14-3.14) I may have run in 9:45??? So confused where that number came from.

Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

It is, of course, possible that you ran some 1-mile segment of the run faster than any of  those particular splits.

Suppose I run two miles - the first and last 1/2 mile very slowly and the segment from 0.5 -> 1.5 very fast. The splits at the 1 mile mark and the two mile mark will be significantly slower than the split for the fast mile.

I've no idea if that's what your watch is actually reporting tho'...

an amazing likeness

So, the conclusion I am drawing is that your "fastest mile" is not your fastest mile SPLIT but the fastest time you ran a mile in at any point during a recorded run?

From the data you have, that seems a logical conclusion and sounds like a pretty good guess to me.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mmmmm...beer

I've seen the same thing from my FR10, and figured it was a mile somewhere in the middle of my splits.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

joescott

From the data you have, that seems a logical conclusion and sounds like a pretty good guess to me.

It is a good guess, and a correct one!  The "personal records" feature in the Forerunner 10 will indeed look for the fastest mile (or 5k, or 10k, etc.) no matter where it occurs during the run.  It could indeed have been mile 2.14-3.14.

Now regarding the Moving Time on Garmin Connect, that is the hokiest, wonkiest thing ever, and one of my personal targets for scorn and abuse (can you tell?).  In principle it could make sense, but in practice it sometimes doesn't work very well and can produce some spectacularly goofy answers.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you! Good to know where that number comes from. What is your issue with the moving time? I have noticed a descrepancy between actual and moving times only a few times so far (I have worn the Garmin for maybe 10-15 runs thus far) and all of those times made sense because they were during times I was running on the city streets and have had to pause for traffic, have paused to adjust my knee brace, stopped for a few seconds to not choke on the water during the race, ect. so I didn't notice anything wonky yet.

It is a good guess, and a correct one!  The "personal records" feature in the Forerunner 10 will indeed look for the fastest mile (or 5k, or 10k, etc.) no matter where it occurs during the run.  It could indeed have been mile 2.14-3.14.

Now regarding the Moving Time on Garmin Connect, that is the hokiest, wonkiest thing ever, and one of my personal targets for scorn and abuse (can you tell?).  In principle it could make sense, but in practice it sometimes doesn't work very well and can produce some spectacularly goofy answers.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

an amazing likeness

Moving often makes no sense at all. Even the Garmin Connect service has, over the years, hidden moving time from display since it cause so much confusion. 

The basic time values are:

Elapsed Time = the time from when you pressed start to the time you pressed stop. Simple 'calendar' time.

Time = the Elapsed Time minus any time you had the device paused at stops for intersections, adjusting your shoes, etc. Auto-pause stops are included here. To Garmin this is your "time running during the elapsed time".  Unless you stop the watch, should match elapsed time.

Moving Time (is absolute crap...) = a time computed by the Forerunner that is its best guess at paused time. Its intent seems to have been to come up with an equivalent to Time (above) when the user didn't apply auto-pause. It is useless - simply going around a sharp corner and this value will assume you stopped due to a computed slow pace between the data points.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Moving Time (is absolute crap...) = a time computed by the Forerunner that is its best guess at paused time. Its intent seems to have been to come up with an equivalent to Time (above) when the user didn't apply auto-pause. It is useless - simply going around a sharp corner and this value will assume you stopped due to a computed slow pace between the data points.

Ugh. Tell me about it. I always have a different moving time than actual time, even when I'm running in a straight line without turning or stopping at all. I turned autostop off, too, so it has no excuse at all.

It will also give me "Best Paces" that have no resemblance to reality. 4:05? Really? I couldn't come close to approaching the outskirts of the neighborhood of that, much less hold it long enough to get a reading.

joescott

Moving Time (is absolute crap...) = a time computed by the Forerunner by Garmin Connect  that is its best guess at paused time. Its intent seems to have been to come up with an equivalent to Time (above) when the user didn't apply auto-pause. It is useless - simply going around a sharp corner and this value will assume you stopped due to a computed slow pace between the data points.

Only one minor correction to what Mr. Truck has spelled out above.  Garmin Connect attempts to parse the data after the fact to discriminate "moving time" from stopped time.  Sometimes it gets it right and sometimes not.  I have seen the Moving Time drop several seconds before for a run where I knew for a fact that I NEVER stopped.  I have also occasionally seen it actually indicate MORE time than the total timer time... not sure how that should be able to happen in our universe (I suspect some rounding error somewhere in some buried subroutine, actually).

Some of the Forerunners (including the 10) have a feature that can be enabled called Auto Pause that will stop the timer for you in real running time when it detects that you are not moving, and I recommend this feature for those who want their stopped time automatically removed for them.  Personally, I'm a bit of an old school control freak when it comes to my timer.  I stop it when I want to stop it and I start it when I want to start it and I never rely on Auto Pause and I only look at Moving Time for amusement.  Smile  Really Moving Time is a throwback to the days of yore when there was no Auto Pause feature on the products themselves.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If I'm going to stop for -2 minutes, I like that the watch automatically increases my total moving time accordingly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.