Myrtle Beach Marathon? (Read 552 times)

Has anyone done Myrtle before? We have a fairly large group from the Rocky Mount, NC area heading down for the race next month. We are staying at a hotel which will require us to drive a little ways to the start - I've heard parking is not a problem, is that the case? Any other comments, tips, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks!
    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

The local Raleigh NC North Carolina Road Runners Club has a Huge group going down to it. We are all staying at the Breakers hotel which is not too far from the start. They said that parking shouldn’t be a huge problem. However, it is a really early start so we will have to get there extra early. Good luck. Hope to see you there.
        Early is an understatement...the 6:30 am start is a concern of mine. Could be quite cold! Most of us are staying at Dunes Village. Our group has at least 8 people running the marathon, 5 running the 1/2, and countless kids running in the kids race. I am sure yours is much larger but this is all from little ole Rocky Mount.

Me and my RP

Not in a group but I'm running it! I'm going to stay at the Comfort Suites and from I understand, they're a mile or so from the start. I figure I'll use that as a warm upSmile I've been checking the weather regularly for MB and the lows seem to bounce out of the high 30s into the mid 40s. Good luck!
            I plan on driving to the start and using the first two miles of the race as my warm-up! I just hope the winds aren't too bad. My only "beach" marathon was the 2007 Shamrock Marathon in Va Beach and the wind nearly killed me! Good Luck!
              Myrtle Beach was my first marathon. (last year) It was darn cold at the start (28) but the winds were mild. Normal lows are high 30's for this time of year, so hopefully we get that this year. Parking should be a problem at all. (although last year I walked to the start...this year I'll be driving) The 6:30 start is pretty early, but it's nice getting done early, too. Smile Aside from that, I thought the race was well run. One note...the post race party...will be absolutely packed. They really need to find a new place to have it as the race has outgrown the House of Blues. We'll be skipping that this year, unfortunately.
                I assume everyone had their last long run this weekend in prep for Myrtle...everyone feeling alright?
                  Question - Does anyone know if Myrtle provides a Gear Check? If so, do they provide the bag you use or can you use your own? I checked their sorry website but couldn't find anything! Thanks!
                    They do provide a gear check as well as a bag for you to put your gear in.
                    USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010