Anchilles Tendinitis/heel issues - recovery time? (Read 162 times)

Roozi

Hi everyone!

This year has been a tough one. On one hand of I hit several PR's, increased my distance, and really found my groove. On the other hand I've had two injuries and the latest one is what brings me here.

I run on my forefoot and typically wear Brooks. The latest pair was the Ghost 10 and it was getting close to the end of its life. My workouts typically consist of HIIT followed with a 2 mile run 4 days a week, HIIT with a longer run (3 - 5 miles) one day a week, and a long run on Sundays (anywhere from 6 to 10 miles).

A little over 4 weeks ago I noticed a sharp pain in my heel for the first 1/2 mile and then it would go away. I took this as I needed new shoes. Exactly 4 weeks ago I went out for a 6.5 mile run and felt the same pain for the first 1/2 mile and it went away. I decided to keep going (I know thats stupid) and finished the run with no issues.

Literally 10 min after finishing it my heel and Achilles started hurt/sore and this progressed as the day went on. I've now been dealing with this for 4 weeks. Its gotten a lot better but I still cant run.

I'm wondering if anyone ha gone through this and how long did it take you to recover?

Pain progress: First week I could barely walk and could only do stationary workouts (bench, inclince, curls, etc) , second week I could walk with some pain and limited workouts, third week the pain got a lot better and I could walk almost freely, 4th no pain while walking or working out (Burpees, split jumps, deadlifts, etc) except for running. I still cant run,

Treatment: Advil, heel pads, icing (but rarely), rest, and I tried anchilles compression but I think it made it worse.

SMART Approach

You are on right track and being smart. Let it heal as you don't want this to turn into a chronic tendonosis condition. Then it will  be hell for you. You are making progress and that is good. Take your time. Keep being active and walk A LOT as long as that does not bother you. Do some calf raises without too much stretch. With just body weight. Does this bother you? Icing or compression will do nothing to help healing...may delay it.....walking a lot is  way more effective....stay active.....walk walk walk.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Roozi

Thank you!

Walking and calf raises don't hurt. The pain has pretty much gone away except when I try to run.

YES, rest ice elevation and compression for several days, and light running to get back into things. If it hurts even just a little while running STOP.

I speak from experience; 6-7 years ago I had a twinge show up out of nowhere and thought I could "run it out" because I'd never had an achilles injury before. That decision is still with me TODAY. I cannot do speedwork or fast short races without aggravating it and limping for a month (also missing out on running for a month...). The scar tissue on my bad achilles makes it about 50% thicker than my good one, visible even with socks on.

Just say NO to running on a painful achilles.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

dcowboys31

I had Achilles tendonitis that came out of blue four years ago well before I started running and as far as the major pain (could not put one ounce of weight on my right foot) got it resolved pretty quickly with whatever anti inflammatory the doctor prescribed but it never really "went away" I always would feel some sort of tightness or very minor pain from time to time but again I was not a runner at all back then so not sure how it would have gone if I had tried to train after going through it.

However the one thing that absolutely helped (helps) was doing wall stretches and eccentric heel drops prescribed by the podiatrist. The heel drops especially but I would be very careful with those because since it is the opposite of a calf raise it really stretches the tendon, when I do these they actually hurt quite a bit during the stretch. Whenever I get some tightness or mild pain in that area after doing 5 or 6 heel drops it almost always goes away.

Good Luck!

Jay

bhearn

I pretty much agree with Tchuck.

YES, rest ice elevation and compression for several days, and light running to get back into things. If it hurts even just a little while running STOP.

Just say NO to running on a painful achilles.

I can't agree with this on an absolute basis though. There are many kinds of Achilles injury. If you have Haglund's Deformity (aka pump bump), you are prone to insertional Achilles tendonitis that may never fully resolve without surgery, but with which it is often possible to still run. I've had this on both Achilles for years, and I've logged a lot of miles and some pretty impressive results over that period if I may say so. Time off never helps me.

I will say that my symptoms, when they manifest, are pretty similar to the OPs: pain during the first half mile or so that gradually resolves. If I let that stop me I would never run. But if it hurts significantly AFTER running then that is another matter.

Seattle prattle

i got achilles tendonitis back in May and am just getting over it in the last few weeks. I ran through it.

Everyone's different. I tend to be able to navigate through these things and i know when and how to adjust. For example,  I used to be a forefoot runner but during most of my recovery, i would run heel to toe. Also wore only more supportive trainers. As i started feeling better, i started working in a little forefoot running.

For the last 3 weeks or so the AT has been little more than a noticable tightness that loosens up with a little stretching or after a warn-up.

I did try just about everything during the months i had it. Did any of it help? Hard to say but I tend to agree with those that recommended walking on it. And i would suggest that you emphesize full range of motion when you do, even exagerating a long stride.

Absolutely do not allow yourself to limp of shorten your stride on that side. That just reinforces bad mechanics.

I did all the eccentric heel drops and strengthening exercises, but the truth is that i didn't really start to recover until a few weeks after i stopped doing them. Maybe i was just doing too much, which is entirely possible (also was running 5 and 6 days per week).

Good luck. These days i am very sparing about throwing on low drop lightweight racing shoes, and i would be avoiding of trying to do two speed workouts without a recovery day in between.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Years of suffering ended when I stopped wearing low drop shoes. I will never go back.  Love my Solman sense rides trail!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Blaf

Every time I have AT issues, there is an active post here. 

I had AT problem in early spring this year, only on my left leg. I ran through that and somehow it got healed.

This summer I ran a all bunch of trail ultra races, 2 50K, 2 50M, 1 110km. No issues at all.

The last one was 110km trail race at the end of July. After that I focused on 5K training. 2 speed workouts per week for 6 weeks that ended with a 5K race 3 weeks ago. A couple days after that race my problems started. Pretty much the same symptoms as everyone else. Light pain at the beginning of the run.

But my biggest problem is when I get up in the morning. I cannot walk down the stairs. After a couple minutes all pain is gone and everything is back to normal, but the same thing next morning.

I took 2 weeks off, it did not change it too much. Now I am trying to ice it. I started running again, slow and not longer than 45 minutes.

Anybody else has issues when wake up in the morning?

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

bhearn

Yes absolutely. Bad in the morning, then loosens up. This is pretty typical I think. Or if I've been sitting too long.

SMART Approach

Every time I have AT issues, there is an active post here. 

I had AT problem in early spring this year, only on my left leg. I ran through that and somehow it got healed.

This summer I ran a all bunch of trail ultra races, 2 50K, 2 50M, 1 110km. No issues at all.

The last one was 110km trail race at the end of July. After that I focused on 5K training. 2 speed workouts per week for 6 weeks that ended with a 5K race 3 weeks ago. A couple days after that race my problems started. Pretty much the same symptoms as everyone else. Light pain at the beginning of the run.

But my biggest problem is when I get up in the morning. I cannot walk down the stairs. After a couple minutes all pain is gone and everything is back to normal, but the same thing next morning.

I took 2 weeks off, it did not change it too much. Now I am trying to ice it. I started running again, slow and not longer than 45 minutes.

Anybody else has issues when wake up in the morning?

Very commom. You see that in plantar fascitis also. I would not ice it.....heat is WAY better or modalities like H-WAVE that gets muscles contacting and pumping and stimulating lymphatic drainage. Moist heat is ideal to warm it up or H-WAVE before activity to warm it up and after activity to enhance recovery. My body is ache free for first time in 10 years because of H-WAVE. Definitely get it warmed up and heated before a run. Walking is wise before starting the run too. Be smart with it-don't push through.....if it worsens stop running and focus on walking and cross training for a while but just keep moving.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Blaf

Thanks guys.

My problem is that I have registered for Rotterdam marathon, April 7. Paid for registration, purchased flight tickets, accomodation too. I want to start training for that one.

The point is, I would like to have this resolved sooner than later.

What about this:

I went for a 2 hour walk a couple weeks ago. I put kinetic tape on one achilles and nothing on the other. After the walk, leg without the tape was sore, the leg with the tape was OK. How do you explain this? Anybody tried using kinetic tape?

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

I am currently running through some AT issues and have been taping my achilles the last few runs while wearing a full compression sock to both keep the tape in place and provide extra stabilization.  I do find it helps though I also switched back to a shoe with a less rigid heel cup (to Saucony ISO Freedom from Nike Zoomfly).  I don't think KT is a magic cure but paired with smarter shoe choice, choosing softer running surfaces, ice, and ibuprofin, I'm working through it.  I probably would take some extra rest but I'm three weeks out from a marathon so I'm just trying to survive until the taper.

Anybody tried using kinetic tape?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks guys.

My problem is that I have registered for Rotterdam marathon, April 7. Paid for registration, purchased flight tickets, accomodation too. I want to start training for that one.

The point is, I would like to have this resolved sooner than later.

What about this:

I went for a 2 hour walk a couple weeks ago. I put kinetic tape on one achilles and nothing on the other. After the walk, leg without the tape was sore, the leg with the tape was OK. How do you explain this? Anybody tried using kinetic tape?

Unfortunately, tendons take care of themselves on their own schedule. Sad  Hope yours cooperates with your wishes.

I know nothing about KT tape.  Interested in hearing from you and others on how/whether it works.

KT tape; I think I mentioned this before, but my observation is that KT tape reduces range of motion a tiny bit, and like pain may be a subconscious queue to not go further. This may reduce further tissue damage, and protect the new collagen. Compression socks might work in the same way. I really wish there was a way to use rigid athletic tape to isolate the achilles and allow slow running/walking while it healed.

I've also noticed that a shoe without a heel cup that digs into the achilles helps alleviate the pain. I have a pair of Kinvarra 7 that has a very low, flexible heel cup. The Skechers GoRun-6 has a knit upper with a non-standard heel cup that is easy on the achilles; but might not be good for people who tend to pull out of their shoes unless the heel is "locked down".

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying