Now what... (Read 488 times)

Darla1

I've finished my marathon and don't know what to do with myself without a training plan. What does everyone else do? I'd like to run Grandma's Marathon in Duluth MN in June, so have some time before I need to hit it hard again. I'm worried about loosing too much endurance, I'd really like to run a much faster marathon the second time around, but do not want to have injuries. The fine line between training hard and not getting injured. Still have not figured that one out yet. Thanks! Darla
    Tyler S

You could build you base mileage up and just run over the winter. During the off season in high school most of us just run easy miles everyday until the season begins and we start our workouts. Just build up gradually. Have fun Smile
      obsessor

I agree with Tyler. Just run. Have fun. Gradually build miles. It's not really too early to start, just take it easy and be gradual about it. Grandma's is a great marathon.

The Greatest of All Time

Like the others have said just run for fun over the winter. If you're really worried about losing endurance throw in a long-ish run every 3 weeks or so. If you keep a decent base you should be set. Consider entering some early spring 5 and 10k's before you start your build for Grandma's.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

A Saucy Wench

What I like is to build back up to reasonable mid week mileage and then cycle my long runs between 10 and 14-16 miles. rinse. repeat. I say 14-16 because for a lot of people there is a break somewhere in there where mileage tends to be significantly harder. Usually for me 16 is quite comfortable but 18 is tough. Sometimes I find around 15 to be the edge of still being on the "easy side" I want them all to be relaxing and energizing during this base building period, not sapping. For others the break is 2-2.5 hours or something along those lines.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

15-25 miles/week, and a long run of 10-12 miles every 2 or 3 weeks. That will be a good base to start your training. And yes, Grandmas is a really good race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

heelgrad92

This is what I am struggling with too. I qualified for Boston in Chicago, but I have never run a Spring marathon before. I always take a month to 6 weeks off with no running, and then resume running sometime in January to get ready for a Fall marathon. It gives me a nice mental break and I always come back refreshed. If I do that this time though it only gives me about 16 weeks total and I am not sure that is enough to regain good marathon fitness. If I don't take a break, I am concerned I will become mentally fatigued. Marathon training requires a pretty substantial amount of focus, and I have not tried to do that more than once in a 12 month period before.

Giants Fan

I agree. Just run for fun right now. Find some smaller races inbetween and run those too. I am looking for little ones here and there to run for fun, trying to keep mileage reasonable and just relax a little!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Darla1

What great advice! Sometimes a reminder about this is "fun" and "run easy" are very good reminders. I tend to take running too serious, always feeling like I'm not getting in enough miles or running hard enough. So given all of your advice, if I shoot for 25-30 miles a week - including longer run 12-14 every other week that should keep me in shape to begin my training program in Feb? Thanks for all of your replies! Darla