Why Do Some Races Cost So Much (Read 2463 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For me: 5k-10k $25-30. If it's a certified chip timed course $30-35 HM $45 ish chip timed certified course can squeeze another $5-10 out of me marathon up to $90 until I BQ then I'd shell out for Boston.
    Why, out of curiosity?
    mikeymike

Why, out of curiosity?
      Seriously $30-35 for a certified 5k? Why?

Runners run

kcam

This ridiculous cost is the reason I don't really run races other than 'events'. I haven't run a 5 or 10K or even a 1/2 marathon in years because I don't really need ANOTHER race shirt that I pay $30 or $40 for. I WILL, and do, pay for marathons. Some races have a Tshirt delete option which is cool. Pet peeve: I hate the new trend of giving out Tech shirts instead of cotton shirts. I never run in any shirt that advertises what races I've run - feel like a poser if I do that. Therefore the tech shirts are kinda useless to me. I don't mind wearing the cotton shirts around the house.
        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Why, out of curiosity?
          That's just what I think is reasonable. Not many of the courses around here are certified so I'm willing to put out a few scheckels to race on a certified course.
          JakeKnight

Pet peeve: I hate the new trend of giving out Tech shirts instead of cotton shirts. I never run in any shirt that advertises what races I've run - feel like a poser if I do that. Therefore the tech shirts are kinda useless to me. I don't mind wearing the cotton shirts around the house.
            I'll bet you hate chocolate, pizza, sunsets, and small kittens, too, don't you?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

I never run in any shirt that advertises what races I've run - feel like a poser if I do that.
              You and me both.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pet peeve: I hate the new trend of giving out Tech shirts instead of cotton shirts. I never run in any shirt that advertises what races I've run - feel like a poser if I do that. Therefore the tech shirts are kinda useless to me. I don't mind wearing the cotton shirts around the house.
                Shocked MTA: as a runner, I find that tech shirts are kind of useful for...wait for it...running. Personally, I'm so happy with tech shirts at races, because I hardly wear cotton t-shirts at all. Tech shirts have become my everyday non-working wear.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

This ridiculous cost is the reason I don't really run races other than 'events'.
                  That's interesting because the ridiculous costs is the reason I shy away from 'events' in favor of races. There are loads of really good, cheap, no-frills road races around here.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Shocked MTA: as a runner, I find that tech shirts are kind of useful for...wait for it...running. Personally, I'm so happy with tech shirts at races, because I hardly wear cotton t-shirts at all. Tech shirts have become my everyday non-working wear.
                    Yeah. That little smiley face pretty much summed up my reaction, too: Shocked. I'd have bet money you could ask a million runners if they'd prefer cotton lame-osity to actual shirts you can train in and never get a nibble. Hence my snark up there - I couldn't be sure if maybe he was just applying some very subtle sarcasm. Note to Campisi (and Marcus): I have a drawer full of stupid cotton shirts. If you send me those horrible tech shirts, I'll trade you. I hate to see you burdened like that.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Note to Campisi (and Marcus): I have a drawer full of stupid cotton shirts. If you send me those horrible tech shirts, I'll trade you. I hate to see you burdened like that.
                      My HS CC coach had a paneled quilt made from all of his old race t-shirts. I may have the same done to all my cotton ones, since I'm not really into wearing them.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

Note to Campisi (and Marcus): I have a drawer full of stupid cotton shirts. If you send me those horrible tech shirts, I'll trade you. I hate to see you burdened like that.
                        Note the part of his post I included...it was not limited to tech shirts. It's all race shirts. I never wear them. I think I wore my Ironman finisher shirt like 4 times and don't even know where it is currently.

C-R

There was another thread about wearing a shirt if you didn't do the run. Perhaps it might be helpful in Marcus' decision to provide his tech shirts to someone else. Clowning around Cotton is rotten for running so I usually donate mine. I did notice a couple of races up here where you had the option of not getting the shirt and shaving a couple of dollars of the entry fee. More the exception I think.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

I'll bet you hate chocolate, pizza, sunsets, and small kittens, too, don't you?
                            Chocolate, pizza, sunsets - me likie. Small kittens - no, they grow up to be katz. And if I ran the Hershey Pennsylvania EatChocolateTillYouPukeonSmallKittensAtSunset 10K race I wouldn't be caught dead running in that tech shirt if my lowly PR depended on it! So there ... Wink And another thing - do ya walk around with marathon finisher medals around your neck as well? Second thing I do when the volunteer puts the medal on after a race is TAKE THE SILLY THING OFF (first thing is thank the volunteer). I could do without medals as well if it cut down the cost of a race. Jeez, I feel like Grumpy Old Man on SNL! In my day we ran races wearing hair shirts and wool shorts, barefoot, no aid stations, uphill both ways, sun in our eyes AND WE LIKED IT!
                            JakeKnight

And another thing - do ya walk around with marathon finisher medals around your neck as well?
                              Globule's Mom's son up there already pointed this out, but it deserves repeating: you do realize you can do this thing called "running" in those tech shirts, right? And that if you actually like running in tech shirts and yet you won't wear the ones that came with your way-too-overpriced entry fee ... you have to go buy more. So you can do that "running" thing. In the shirt made for "running." That you already paid for because they ripped you off and didn't give you a Hanes undershirt with an iron-on decal. I can't quite grasp this turning down already-paid-for overpriced gear. Nobody says you should wear your shirt to the mall. Unless you just want to pick up chicks. They dig marathoners. ------------------------------ And for the record, I'm wearing my race medal right now. It makes me feel special. After all, I did come in 86th place. Which is way better than 87th.

The Greatest of All Time

And for the record, I'm wearing my race medal and nothing else right now. It makes me feel special.
                                Edited Wink