I'm jealous - my 15 y/o will be faster than me! (Read 1081 times)

My oldest son decided to take up running after being told by a teacher that who ever runs this one local (Frank's Run) 5k race coming up in June will get bonus points, five more points if they beat her in the race. He's never run more than a mile before but he's determined to run and really wants to beat her. So I said that I would run with him since he's not used to the distance or the course and wasn't sure how to pace himself. We ran my usual 5k course which has 4 good hills in it. The first run last week was 28:30, he had to stop twice after two of the hills. The second run, two days later we did 25:33, no stopping at all. Last night's run we did 23:43!! I am totally amazed. He does not struggle with breathing at all, even on the hills. I'm totally jealous on how he's just stepping right in to my 5k pace. At this rate he'll be helping me to my goal of 21 minute 5k speed. Do you think this is just a fluke or is it possible that he's got some natural ability? Is it common for a teen to just be that comfortable with running? He's built like a runner that's for sure. I'm confused because of how he's never run more than 1 mile until now and this seems easy to him. He's a fairly active teenager, he rides his bike to school and to work and back every day, but it's been a while since he's been on a sports team. He was a wrestler for about four years but stopped last year. I can't wait to see what our time is when we run again, either tomorrow or Thursday.

Michelle

mikeymike

I don't think it's a fluke for a fairly active 15 year old boy to be able to beat his mom in a 5K, even if his mom is fitter than the average mom. Smile

Runners run

Welcome to the club. All my kids are faster than me. Big grin It's not a bad thing. However, at this point I can still run farther than they can. (I guess it's only because they don't want to.)

shonan marathon, girl

Kids might be able to run faster, but when it comes to running those long distances I still think we can beat them. They don't have the patience or discipline.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Scout7

Now ya just gotta get him to join the XC and track teams....

Dog-Love

My girlfriend runs a HM in 1:45 and her son starting having faster times in 5K, 10K and finally HM after he turned 11. Kids are fast!
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                It's not all that surprising. I think most kids could be faster than us old folks. Tongue My 17 yo runs cross country for his high school. I'm not even gonna pretend like I can keep up with him. My 11 yo is way faster than I am. (Of course he's faster than most 11 y/o's too, so I don't feel so bad. LOL!) My 9 yo wasfaster than I was in the mile last summer but *so far* I'm still faster at anything longer. And my 4yo dd was doing 12 minute miles last summer at age 3 so I'm guessing it won't be too long before she's leaving me behind too. ::sigh:: I remember the good old days back when I ran track and cross country in school. My times were way faster than anything I can hope to do now and I was doing a lot more flirting than I was training at that point. Running every day. No recovery time. No injuries. Ah, the joy of youth! Smile I'm gonna go ice my hamstring now. Teresa
                  It's not all that surprising. I think most kids could be faster than us old folks. Tongue My 17 yo runs cross country for his high school. I'm not even gonna pretend like I can keep up with him. My 11 yo is way faster than I am. (Of course he's faster than most 11 y/o's too, so I don't feel so bad. LOL!) My 9 yo wasfaster than I was in the mile last summer but *so far* I'm still faster at anything longer. And my 4yo dd was doing 12 minute miles last summer at age 3 so I'm guessing it won't be too long before she's leaving me behind too. ::sigh:: I remember the good old days back when I ran track and cross country in school. My times were way faster than anything I can hope to do now and I was doing a lot more flirting than I was training at that point. Running every day. No recovery time. No injuries. Ah, the joy of youth! Smile I'm gonna go ice my hamstring now. Teresa
                  Your children are all close to the same ages as mine, my 15 y/o will be 16 next month (15, 12, 11, 5)! I miss my high school running days too. Being a part of the relay events is what I miss the most. I loved the team effort. Oh, and I miss the flirting too! Blush There was always something going on between the boys and girls in CC. Big grin

Michelle

I don't think it's a fluke for a fairly active 15 year old boy to be able to beat his mom in a 5K, even if his mom is fitter than the average mom. Smile
                    *sigh* Yes, I know that....but STILL - I wanted him to at least have to work a little bit to get where I'm at! I'm excited for him though, he was truly shocked with how well he did. Like he didn't know he had it in him.

Michelle

Welcome to the club. All my kids are faster than me. Big grin It's not a bad thing. However, at this point I can still run farther than they can. (I guess it's only because they don't want to.)
                      Nice Huskies! I had two growing up, they were awesome! Misty & Brandy. Great to run with in the cooler weather, as you said.
                      Kids might be able to run faster, but when it comes to running those long distances I still think we can beat them. They don't have the patience or discipline.
                      I agree with both of you on the distance thing. I don't think that he'll be doing long distances any time soon. That would take up too much time with turning 16 next month and getting his permit and then summer - summer means meeting girls. I'll lose him till fall. Roll eyes

Michelle

Now ya just gotta get him to join the XC and track teams....
                        He mentioned it! So maybe there's a chance. Scout - I'll drag him along to one of our Saturday runs and you can show him that I'm not the only one who chats the whole time while running! Smile (Just kidding- I don't think he'd care to run that long anyhow.)

Michelle

Marathonmanleto

Sippi, The younger ones sure can make it tough, can't they...my 10yo ran a 5:55 mile last weekend in our CYO Finals--his current PR! The good is that they can really motivate US! Heading to the track tonight.
                            Sippi, The younger ones sure can make it tough, can't they...my 10yo ran a 5:55 mile last weekend in our CYO Finals--his current PR! The good is that they can really motivate US! Heading to the track tonight.
                            Wow! That's an excellent mile time.

Michelle

jcasetnl

At TEN?!! That's insane. I did CYO when I was a kid. Now I sometimes help out with the meets. The last really jaw dropping thing I saw was at a CYO cross country meet where a 7th grader finished in about 5:40 (1 mile course). He beat all the 8th grade kids in the same race. This particular course ran about a tenth long, too. Very fast for a 12/13-year old. In the championship meet I've seen some 8th grader mile times around 5:25. I can't recall ever seeing a 10 year old run sub 6, though when I was in the 6th grade I raced against a guy who got 5:59 in the championship meet for first place. I was floored when he told he only breathed through his nose for the first two laps. Cry Just curious, do they have CYO cross country where you live? To the OP, don't feel too bad. I partied pretty hard in my 20s so I'm sure that's part of it, but my 10 year old self could race a faster 5k than my current 31-year old self. I'll catch that little punk, though. Wink
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

my 10yo ran a 5:55 mile last weekend in our CYO Finals
                                That's very impressive! Big grin Your child could be gifted in running. I'm not kidding. Not to brag, but I ran 5:59 as a 6th grader and went on to win my county championship in high school and eventually run 4:37. I am not gifted. I am floored by a 10yo running a 5:55 mile. That is something special. Surprised

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.