I'm jealous - my 15 y/o will be faster than me! (Read 1081 times)

That's very impressive! Big grin Your child could be gifted in running. I'm not kidding. Not to brag, but I ran 5:59 as a 6th grader and went on to win my county championship in high school and eventually run 4:37. I am not gifted. I am floored by a 10yo running a 5:55 mile. That is something special. Surprised
    Thinking back, my best mile time was 6:23 - and that was when I was in 9th or 10th grade. 5:55 is super!!

Michelle

OMG ---- Tonight we did our usual 5k route in 21:48!!!!! I think he's trying to kill me! *LOL* It felt great actually. My legs were tired at the end but I was able to finish strong, with him just a few steps ahead of me. This is my best 5k time since high school. Now lets see if I can do it again next time. Roll eyes

Michelle

Wingz

Professional Noob

You know how they often have those "One Mile Fun Runs" at 5K races? Does anyone else here think the courses might be a little short? I've seen tons of kids who didn't look to be more than 6 coming in with times in the 5-minute range... Just a little hard to believe we have so many world-class 6 year-olds...

Roads were made for journeys...

I just finished a small race today (maybe 95 participants) and the winner was a 15 year old!!! What a blow to my ego. But, she certainly has a running future ahead of her. Ahh, to be young again.
            I just finished a small race today (maybe 95 participants) and the winner was a 15 year old!!! What a blow to my ego. But, she certainly has a running future ahead of her. Ahh, to be young again.
            Ouch! Just imagine how great she felt crossing that finish line. I hope she continues to run with the talent she has! It took me until age 35 to finally understand that saying about "youth being wasted on the young" ... Smile

Michelle

Well, we ran our first official 5k race together today, a cross country course. HE BEAT ME. By 30 seconds. Roll eyes He ran 22:00 I ran 22:30. It was too hot, I blame the heat (gotta blame something). Wink The next one will be a road race, and I will be sure to beat him!! Big grin

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

the boy has some mad skillz. thinking for his 3rd 5k in a week those are very good times. back in the stoneage he'd be doing pretty well on my HS XC team and that is without any serious Training with a capital T. congrats to you both

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

the boy has some mad skillz. thinking for his 3rd 5k in a week those are very good times. back in the stoneage he'd be doing pretty well on my HS XC team and that is without any serious Training with a capital T. congrats to you both
                  Thanks Joe. The times I thought we had were a little off. He ran 22:12 and I ran 22:50 - officially. I think he was a little bummed that he didn't do better, but as I reminded him he just started running and he's use to a road course. There were lots of members from the XC team running in the race, they left him in the dust with times starting as low as 17:00 minutes and up. But he says that he'll do it, he'll get there. I can't wait!

Michelle

Scout7

Yeah, XC is a little different than road. Of course, that depends on the school, too. Some have a fair amount of pavement (I never liked that much, but I digress). Hopefully he does consider joining the track and/or XC team(s). I think he'd enjoy it, and he's got pretty good genes for it (at least from his mom).
                      Yeah, XC is a little different than road. Of course, that depends on the school, too. Some have a fair amount of pavement (I never liked that much, but I digress). Hopefully he does consider joining the track and/or XC team(s). I think he'd enjoy it, and he's got pretty good genes for it (at least from his mom).
                      In HS I never liked XC, my favorite was indoor track and spring track. My next door neighbor was the captain for the HS team, she was a few years older than I was but she had the coach recruit me from the Jr. HS. Each day the coach would come and pick me up from the Jr. HS and take me to the HS to practice. I still didn't like it, but I ran it. I keep hoping that one of my children will get into running, and stick with it. But, I don't push it on them.

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

yeah that's a tough thing. I want to encourage my kids to run but don't want to be "that dad" I want them to be healthy and happy and if that means they play soccer <shudder> so be it. but secretly it would thrill me if they ran XC. how's the foot Miss?</shudder>

Umm, what's wrong with soccer??!!?? Did you forget that I play soccer? And my daughter lives for soccer? There is nothing wrong with soccer - if you ask me. Tongue The foot pain is gone but my ankle is still not better. Guess it would help if I gave it time to heal, but that means to stop running and I don't want to do that. I taped my foot during each run until this past Tuesday, somehow that helped. The ankle will just take some more time, just like when I rolled the right one during soccer. Thanks for asking Joe. Smile

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

no I'm just jealous. soccer and football players (even though they had a losing record for about a decade) got much more respect (i.e. chicks) than us scrawny XC/track guys

Update. Anthony (Wrestla91 here on RA) has officially joined the XC team. Yes

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

well i tried to warn him. someday chicks will dig scrawny guys w/ chicken legs. someday Cry