Outside Ankle Pain While Running (Read 52 times)

derekreimherr

Hello all.

I'm by no means a long distance runner, but I do love to run. When I was in high school I played soccer and ran track (short distance) and in my first two years of college, I ran a few miles every day. After getting pretty out of shape (by my standards) my junior year, I decided to get back into running. I recently, though, have a problem whenever I run. After about 1/2 a mile or so, the outside of my ankle just above where the bone sticks out starts to hurt very badly and won't go away for about 30 minutes, but then it gets better.

I have new shoes that were fitted specifically to my feet. I have normal arches, no previous injuries to my feet or ankles, and do not pronate (though I slightly supinate with my right foot). It's not a mild pain either, it is pretty painful to walk for about 10 minutes after it begins and then my calves and ankles are tight for probably an hour afterwards.

Any advice?

gilbertholdings

i would slow it down a little and see if it gets better.  if not, i always promote seeing a doctor.  if slowing down helps, just make sure you build up slowly.  it could just be getting back into running and getting use to the impact.