Feedback on being a better professor (ridiculously long) (Read 327 times)

Feeling the growl again

Sad  It doesn't always work out that way, though.

No, as you know there are sometimes extenuating circumstances beyond your control; you are a very strong person and I am in no way critiquing your parenting.

In the case of the OP, however, I don't think any of this applies.

I ran XC/track in college.  Institutional policy was that student-athletes could not be penalized for traveling for events.  Profs had several options to accommodate athletes traveling during exams; give it early, give it late, send it with the coach to be administered on-the-road under their supervision.

I had a chem prof who got in a fit that she had to deal with this and decided she was just going to give me a 0 on an exam for not being there (this was all discussed via email a few weeks in advance).  I ended up on the phone with the dean and in the end it was my understanding she got a nice talking-to about understanding a basic policy and I was grudgingly allowed to take a make-up exam (which was much harder than what had been given to the rest of the class).  I was 19.

Several years later I was denied my MS degree by a moronic administrator.  After a couple weeks of failing at trying to rationally explain the institution's own policies to her, I ended up going as far as threatening legal action and copying the dean and university president...my degree was expedited.

I'm not sure my parent know either of these things ever happened, much less got involved.  It never even occurred to me to involve them.

Some parenting today mystifies me.  I know someone whose 20-something son bought a house.  His dad told him he needed to go find a used mower to take care of the yard.  Instead his son waited until dad was at work, then went and stole dad's mower.  Dad's way of solving the situation was to find a used mower for him, buy it and drop it off, in order to get his own back.  Other son is in college and parents pay all his rent, utility, and bills...when I was in college we all had to do that ourselves and manage among housemates.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Teresadfp

One day at a time

spaniel, I know you weren't criticizing me.  It just flabbergasts me that I'm having to parent a 20-year-old as if he were 8.  That was NOT in my plans.

I agree - I don't understand some parents.  My 15-year-old tells me that one reason she tries to get good grades is that we DON'T pressure her.  The parents of some of her friends go ballistic if their little darlings get a B+ in a class!  Sad.

Prince of Fatness

spaniel, I know you weren't criticizing me.  It just flabbergasts me that I'm having to parent a 20-year-old as if he were 8.  That was NOT in my plans.

We do our best but there are no guarantees.  Good luck, Teresa.

Not at it at all. 

I want to be Blackhawk helicopter parents.  We'll give you the best training and gear we can, but once you fast-rope into enemy territory,  Mom and I will be back in the O Club enjoying happy hour.  Go ahead and radio in for advice, but in the end it's your ass on the line so you'd better look out for it.

Nice.  I'll likely use your analogy in the future.

My oldest son finished his freshman year of university a couple weeks ago, and had a relatively challenging semester.

I like to think we operate as Blackhawk helicopter parents in that we were there to encourage him and remind him of his task at hand while available by phone to even guide him through his 1st year challenges.

Specifically, the weekend before finals week, he had to prepare for his exams, and I helped him calculate the grades he'd need in order to go from a "B" to an "A" or the grades he'd need in order to protect his "A".  By doing so, he was able to allocate study hours appropriately to get the grades he needed.

-He had an English exam where he needed only a 10% to maintain his A.  He didn't study.

-He had an Accounting exam where he needed a 98% to go from a B to an A, and his Accounting exam was on the same day that he had a Marketing exam where he needed an 86% to keep his A.  We advised him to put all serious effort on the Marketing exam and ensuring he received an A in Marketing while accepting that his job in Accounting is to maintain his B.

We were happy that he sought our cousel as it related to exam preparation.

For an 18 or 19 year old college freshman, there are challenges that cannot be placed upon them without proper counsel.

Just like recent graduate needs mentors in the business world to advance their career, a student needs mentors to guide them through the college world.  We are happy that he seeks our counsel for items.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

You think you’ve got it rough? My son is 7. He is totally awesome at math. Brother can add, subtract, and has been known to rock his low number multiplication tables. I mean, we are talking total genius. He has gotten a 100 percent on every single math test this year. And yet, the teacher gave him a ‘3’ (proficient) instead of a ‘4’ (mastery). We were shocked. We got in our actual helicopter and flew to the school. This is where it gets nutty…there was no place to land the damn thing – so we’re hovering for a while, and eventually put her down near the train tracks. Well, let me tell you, we marched over to the school (uphill from the tracks, so my Achilles was bothering me – should I ice it after I do heel drops?), and confronted the teacher. She said he got a 3 because his handwriting is bad. Even though there’s a separate grade for handwriting. Can you believe that? She wouldn’t change the grade. I offered to race her around the building and whoever won would get the grade they wanted. But she’s like 8.5 months pregnant and refused to race me. Anyway, we go back down to our huey only to find a damn ticket on the windshield. There were no signs indicating we couldn’t park there or anything. Total bs. And there was a fine written on the bottom of the ticket, but I couldn’t read it because it was all scrawled in that carbon paper scratch and I’m not sure if it read “1000” or “100.0” dollars. Do I need a lawyer?

Any help is appreciated.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You think you’ve got it rough? My son is 7. He is totally awesome at math. Brother can add, subtract, and has been known to rock his low number multiplication tables. I mean, we are talking total genius. He has gotten a 100 percent on every single math test this year. And yet, the teacher gave him a ‘3’ (proficient) instead of a ‘4’ (mastery). We were shocked. We got in our actual helicopter and flew to the school. This is where it gets nutty…there was no place to land the damn thing – so we’re hovering for a while, and eventually put her down near the train tracks. Well, let me tell you, we marched over to the school (uphill from the tracks, so my Achilles was bothering me – should I ice it after I do heel drops?), and confronted the teacher. She said he got a 3 because his handwriting is bad. Even though there’s a separate grade for handwriting. Can you believe that? She wouldn’t change the grade. I offered to race her around the building and whoever won would get the grade they wanted. But she’s like 8.5 months pregnant and refused to race me. Anyway, we go back down to our huey only to find a damn ticket on the windshield. There were no signs indicating we couldn’t park there or anything. Total bs. And there was a fine written on the bottom of the ticket, but I couldn’t read it because it was all scrawled in that carbon paper scratch and I’m not sure if it read “1000” or “100.0” dollars. Do I need a lawyer?

Any help is appreciated.

This is a concise masterpiece.

Any help is appreciated.

Having met you and your wife, the visual of the two of you in the cockpit of a Huey with the big helmets and visors on, trying to set her down near an elementary school is especially priceless.

10/10. You win the thread.

The end.

Runners run

xhristopher

Any help is appreciated.

Yes.

Am I doing this right?

Any help is appreciated.

You cracked a window for the dog right?

No excuses....

Isn't it too difficult to separate the good, the average and the lazies/non-enthusiasts  when most students get 80% or 90%?

In a UK university I studied, for postgraduate students, 50% is C (pass), 65% is B (Merit) and 70% is A (Distinction). Students achieved 70% and above, they get an honour degree.  It was very difficult to get a 70% and above on coursework and essays. If you failed a couple modules (between 30% - 50%), you didn't need to resit and could still get a degree. If students get 80% or 90%, they are genius. They might get a Nobel Prize one day. For undergraduates, even lower, 40% is the pass mark.

A classmate of mine was furious when she achieved over 70% on average on all modules/subjects but her degree project was marked down under 70%. She couldn't get an honour degree. She appealed but failed. That crashed her dream to pursue her PhD.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Any help is appreciated.

POD

FTW

+10,000

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Ostrich runner

Isn't it too difficult to separate the good, the average and the lazies/non-enthusiasts  when most students get 80% or 90%?

In a UK university I studied, for postgraduate students, 50% is C (pass), 65% is B (Merit) and 70% is A (Distinction). Students achieved 70% and above, they get an honour degree.  It was very difficult to get a 70% and above on coursework and essays. If you failed a couple modules (between 30% - 50%), you didn't need to resit and could still get a degree. If students get 80% or 90%, they are genius. They might get a Nobel Prize one day. For undergraduates, even lower, 40% is the pass mark.

A classmate of mine was furious when she achieved over 70% on average on all modules/subjects but her degree project was marked down under 70%. She couldn't get an honour degree. She appealed but failed. That crashed her dream to pursue her PhD.

When I brought my grades back from Edinburgh, I ended up successfully appealing a 68 from a C to an A- or B+. I believe they tried to translate a 72 to an A- initially as well. I remember being pretty angry because the 68 was a graduate level course I was getting 200 level credit for. Fortunately, I had a prof on my side when going to the dean, but it still took months to resolve.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Best Present Ever

10/10. You win the thread.

The end.

this

Any help is appreciated.

I'm so late, I can't even award you a Texas hattrick!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This was posted elsewhere, made me think of this thread:

Come on, you know who you are.  Just admit it so that we can move on to the phase where those of us without kids can be judgmental about you and your parenting decisions.  Kidding.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/24/18469581-helping-or-hovering-when-helicopter-parenting-backfires?lite

Helping or hovering? When 'helicopter parenting' backfires

The father who called to dispute the C grade his adult son got on a college exam had good intentions, Chris Segrin knows. He only wanted what was best for his kid, and if that involved lobbying the University of Arizona professor for a change, so be it.

“Somehow, his dad just seemed to know that the exam was worth a grade of a B,” says Segrin, a behavioral scientist who studies interpersonal relationships and mental health.

But what the dad didn’t know is that the phone call actually undermined his son, leaving the young man feeling insecure and incapable, not empowered and supported, a casualty of what researchers like Segrin describe as an epidemic of “overparenting.”