405 Losing Data during transfer (Read 482 times)

Anyone have this problem?  I have lost about 3-5 workouts during the past 30 days.  I thought initially it was an issue when I was downloading multiple days at once [ie -- away for a weekend with 2-3 runs and then try to upload to the laptop monday am.]  But I no longer think this is the issue.

This am I did a workout ... all of the data was stored on the watch ... it never uploaded.  I added a quick 5-second "new workout" ... it then uploads only the new [5-second] workout and erases everything else.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Is there a way to reset it ?

2012= under-goaled

Imminent Catastrophe

You are uploading to where? RA or GTC? In my experience RA is a lot better than the Garmin app. The only problems I've had with lost workouts is using Garmin Connect.

For starters, make sure you have it set to not erase data on the watch after downloading (this preference is in the ANT Agent plugin). I download to GTC then to RA.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I only use RA ... If you set it "not to erase" [great idea BTW] ... does that really slow down the download process?

2012= under-goaled

Imminent Catastrophe

I only use RA ... If you set it "not to erase" [great idea BTW] ... does that really slow down the download process?

Not that I've noticed. It's really pretty fast, yesterday it took about 20 seconds to upload a 20-mile run to RA. (Much faster than GTC BTW).

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Thanks for the info ... I think that I may just remove and reinstall ... perhaps something became corrupted.

2012= under-goaled

ymmv

I'm not sure where the uploaded files end up on a PC, but on a MAC, they first go into a 'Pending Uploads' folder, then after they have uploaded to GTC (assuming you do that), the files are moved to a 'History' folder. You may actually still have the files on your computer, just not where you were looking.

I have noticed that RA is happy to upload the latest file(s) whether they are in 'Pending Uploads' or 'History'. It seems to make no difference.

I have mine set to erase from the 405 after upload, because otherwise, the 405 fills up with a lot of workouts that I would need to delete manually. The worst thing about having a lot of workouts sitting on the 405 is when you sometimes need to set the 405 to 'Force upload'. Then it uploads everything, and it can take a while, especially when the wireless transfer hiccups or times out and it starts over a few times.

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm not sure where the uploaded files end up on a PC, but on a MAC, they first go into a 'Pending Uploads' folder, then after they have uploaded to GTC (assuming you do that), the files are moved to a 'History' folder. You may actually still have the files on your computer, just not where you were looking.

Hey, thanks for that, I found it. I couldn't find it before.

I don't think it's a big deal to manually delete the workouts every few days, and it has helped when I had problems with GTC. I also use RA and Ascent.

I lose a small percentage of the workouts I send to RA --- probably 5%. Considering the cost and the value of the other 95% data, I don't mind. I just do those from memory.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I deleted and reloaded the Garmin Software and have not had a problem since.

2012= under-goaled