After Chicago... (Read 667 times)

va

After what happened in Chicago, it makes me wonder, at what temperature do you say, "Maybe I should just skip this marathon, there are many others to choose from..."? What's your go/no-go temperature threshold?

still alive

NO easy answer. It depends on your fitness level. I ran in the Twin Cities yesterday and it was also very hot. One more degree and they would have halted that race too. I almost pulled out at mile 21. Fortunately I got to an aid station for some water and recovered. Definitely you need to SLOW DOWN and readjust goals when the temps get high. We started at 74 degrees and 87% humidity. It was mid 80's at the finish. Sun was beating down. Everyone was expecting 40 degrees and rain up until a few days ago. Most importantly, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and know your fitness level. Balance hydration and electrolytes properly. It's much harder to do that in the heat.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I turn into a delicate flower once it gets much above 75º if the humidity is above 60º, which it often is in MI. Luckily I have a few running routes that offer lots of shade, which allowed me to run all Summer without too much incident, but I think if I had been registered to run yesterday that I would have been amongst those who bowed-out. The problem with a big city race route is that buildings may offer shade, but they also block good airflow and absorb and then radiate heat. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I ran the AFC half in August...it was 75 at the start and 83 at the finish with 76% humidity. People say it was the worst weather ever for that race. I actually had to walk parts of that race and finished with the worst time I've ever run. The weather was bad but I think my failure was due in large part to my lack of training. If it's a race I had trained for, I'd go out and do whatever I could do. I couldn't train for it and then not run ANY of it, kwim?

Jennifer mm#1231

I ran the AFC half in August...it was 75 at the start and 83 at the finish with 76% humidity. People say it was the worst weather ever for that race. I actually had to walk parts of that race and finished with the worst time I've ever run. The weather was bad but I think my failure was do in large part to my lack of training. If it's a race I had trained for, I'd go out and do whatever I could do. I couldn't train for it and then not run ANY of it, kwim?
            I do know what you mean!! It's a delicate balance between pushing yourself/ running a race you trained (hard) for ... and not doing something stupid and dangerous. I've done 7-9 mi runs when it was high 90s and humid, b/c I was too lazy to wake up earlier and I can't stand the TM. Stupid, stupid, stupid, but I've done it more than once.
            2009: BQ?
            Gaby

wake me up!

I beleive that the hardest part of running with hot temperatures is to listen to your body and to force yourself to slow down before it is too late......
              PWL

Has been

Depends on the day. I have run 15-16 mile training runs in 88 degree humid weather and felt great. I have also run 6 milers in 75 degree weather where I thought I was going to die. I think you just have to learn to listen to your body and know what your personal signals are.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Chicago 26.2 07

I ran the race yesterday, I don't think it was the distance that affected so many people, the gentleman who passed away did so at mile 9, it was the lack of fluids provided by the event. There was virtually no sportdrinks available to the runners after the the elites went through. I was running in the 5:00 hour pace group and we didn't get water until mile 7. I agree with other posts on this string, you have to listen to your body and know your limits. There is no shame to drop out of a race if you are risking your personal well being. My prayers are with the family of those lost yesterday. I understand there was one death at the Army 10 miler yesterday as well.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016