is there really much difference between "sport drinks" and Coke/Pepsi/any soda? (Read 337 times)

There's nothing like a Coke flavored slurpee after a long run on a hot day. I drink a ton of G2 Gatorade pretty much all day long, but I water it down so there's just enough flavor to keep me drinking it.

kcam

There's nothing like a Coke flavored slurpee after a long run on a hot day. I drink a ton of G2 Gatorade pretty much all day long, but I water it down so there's just enough flavor to keep me drinking it.

Agree.  There is a 7-11 about 2 blocks from my house and when I do a long run from my house I stash a couple bucks near the 7-11 and grab 'em when I'm on my way back home.  Coke slurpee after a 20miler hits the spot.

A Saucy Wench

And if we hearken back to still more simple times, strychnine was used as a sports drink.

It wasnt all that long ago

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Agree.  There is a 7-11 about 2 blocks from my house and when I do a long run from my house I stash a couple bucks near the 7-11 and grab 'em when I'm on my way back home.  Coke slurpee after a 20miler hits the spot.

Mmm, I'll have to try that.

I used to keep a couple bucks in my sock, but stopped carrying money with me on my long runs for this very reason.    There are multiple 7-11's along my long run route, and I would plan on stopping at the 7-11 that is just a few blocks away from my house on the return trip from a long 15-18 mile run.

-- What ended up happening is I would give in and stop at the 7-11 at mile 11 or 13ish for the Slurpee, and then I'd spend the larger part of the return trip walking back enjoying that tasty slurpee instead of running...    Also, I imagine the 7-11 Clerks weren't thrilled with a sweaty guy pulling two soggy dollars out of his sock to pay for it... Approve

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

joescott

Speak for yourself, I'm running a beer mile in 3 hours.

So, what was your time?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I used to keep a couple bucks in my sock, but stopped carrying money with me on my long runs for this very reason.    There are multiple 7-11's along my long run route, and I would plan on stopping at the 7-11 that is just a few blocks away from my house on the return trip from a long 15-18 mile run.

-- What ended up happening is I would give in and stop at the 7-11 at mile 11 or 13ish for the Slurpee, and then I'd spend the larger part of the return trip walking back enjoying that tasty slurpee instead of running...    Also, I imagine the 7-11 Clerks weren't thrilled with a sweaty guy pulling two soggy dollars out of his sock to pay for it... Approve

Testing the limits of "pecunia non olet"!

running metalhead

I once ran a race in Spain and within 5 seconds of me crossing the finish line, they scanned my number, handed me a print out of my results and a real beer (not alcohol free).

I ran a 10K in South Korea and I got half a litre of Makgeolli. I drank half the bottle without knowing it had 8% alcohol, ROFLMAO

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                  - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                  - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                  - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                  - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                  - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Testing the limits of "pecunia non olet"!

..Somehow I got through college and life so far without ever hearing of that phrase, so I had to Gooooogle it:

-------------------------

Vespasian imposed a Urine Tax (Latinvectigal urinae) on the distribution of urine from public urinals in Rome's Cloaca Maxima(great sewer) system. (The Roman lower classes urinated into pots which were emptied into cesspools.) The urine collected from public urinals was sold as an ingredient for several chemical processes. It was used in tanning, and also by launderers as a source of ammonia to clean and whiten woollen togas. The buyers of the urine paid the tax.

The Roman historian Suetonius reports that when Vespasian's son Titus complained about the disgusting nature of the tax, his father held up a gold coin and asked whether he felt offended by its smell (sciscitans num odore offenderetur). When Titus said "No," he replied, "Yet it comes from urine" („Atqui ex lotio est“).[2]

The phrase Pecunia non olet is still used today to say that the value of money is not tainted by its origins. Vespasian's name still attaches to public urinals in France (vespasiennes), Italy (vespasiani), and Romania (vespasiene).

In literature[edit]

"Vespasian's axiom" is referred to in passing in the Balzac short story Sarrasine in connection with the mysterious origins of the wealth of a Parisian family. The proverb receives some attention in Roland Barthes' detailed analysis of the Balzac story in his critical study S/Z.[3] It is possible that F. Scott Fitzgerald alludes to Vespasian's jest in The Great Gatsby with the phrase "non-olfactory money."[4]

----------------------------------------------

Ahah!   Now I understand.  And I learn something every day.    --- And I also never thought I would hear the words "buyers of the urine paid the tax" all in one sentence, but now I have.  Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

So, what was your time?

7:14.  5:32 running.  A good 18sec off my PR, my running sucked this year (I was only capable of racing a 5:10 a few days ago).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran an ultra yesterday. Happily drank whatever was in the cups on the table, but migrated toward the coke when I heard they had some in coolers, and suggested they put some of it out in cups, and they did so. Happy Times!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

During an ultra I will drink coke/Mt. Dew as early as 10 miles in.  Maybe only 6 ounces at a time and usually it has been sitting out so carbonation is no big deal.  I don't use liquids as a main source of fuel, but coke/Mt. Dew seems to work as a "pick me up" .

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

In ultras and longer training runs, I find that Coke (or Pepsi, for that matter) can cure nausea. As I find the same effect in Coke Zero and Diet Coke as in regular Coke or Pepsi, I am not sure what ingredient would do that. The carbonation? Citric acid? Can't be the sugar, as there is no sugar in the Zero and Diet versions.

Neither the sodium, nor the potassium in Gatorade are enough to keep your electrolytes up on a hot day, unless you have some salty food, or salt pills (0.5 to 1.0 g/hour for sodium, twice as much for potassium, on average, on ultra distances). So unless you have problems with digesting the sugar in the high concentration (in this case, water it down), Coke is just as good as a sports drink.

Too much simple sugar reduces the absorption rate and may cause GI issues, that's why Maltodextrin is added (sweetens, but is a more complex carbohydrate). For the recreational athlete (read: not professional), this does not make much of a difference, because they also eat gels and solid foods, which throws off the "balanced" osmolality in the sports drinks anyway. So either you have just sports drinks (which probably won't cover your caloric and electrolyte needs on long runs), or you drink whatever you like and does you good. But that's just my own theory, absolutely not supported by science...

Edit: Hey flatfooter, I'll see you at the OC100, maybe we can test our theories there...

Run for fun.