Where should my son line up for his 10km- updated with 2019 results. (Read 181 times)

Village people

My 14 yo son is running his second  Beach to Beacon in two weeks.

He has been casually running between 20-30miles since country season in the fall. Basketball, winter and track got in the way a bit.  His x races are 3km so he has only a couple of 5k’s under his belt but he routinely runs 5+ miles when he goes out.

Aug 2017 B2B 10k- 52:??

Nov 2017 Turkey Trot- 22:??

June 2018 5km- 19:32

Any thoughts on a goal? The hill at the finish will not surprise his this year.

an amazing likeness

The pace zones are well marked in the B2B start chute. He should line up towards the middle of the 8:00 zone -- and take the left side of the chute (and the course). The crowding hold him back from going out too fast (as young bucks tend to...), but will ease up as he hits the Inn By the Sea at mile 1, and if he's faster, he'll wont have wasted a bunch of energy to get some (sort of) open road for the remainder of the Rt77 and Old Ocean Rd sections.

As you and he know, this course is harder in the second 5K than the opening 5K...so it's important not to blast out there in the opening section before the turn onto Shore Rd, which is where you want to get out your lunchbox and go to work.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Village people

Thanks Milktrucb. I will pass this along. We used to live off Rt 77 so I know the course well. Our area in NH is very hilly so he is used to running them.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I'm not familiar with this race, but I'm surprised at the recommendation to line up in the 8 minute pace corral.  Did he do a 5k last year around the time of this 10k, and if so, in what time?  Because ordinarily even with poor endurance I'd expect a 7 minute pace for a 10k.

an amazing likeness

Just for grins, here was my thinking...

He's got wheels, but no idea if he's got the endurance.  So take that 19:32 5K and assume he'll fade to 42 on a flat course. Add heat of August, a course that sucks people into opening too hard (it's steady flat to down in 1st 5K, then up and down in 2nd 5K), plus the hype of a big-time event -- plus her note that the sharp hills at 5.4 - 6.0mi killed him last year and  I'm guessing 45-46-48min at B2B would be a fantastic-great-good day. (he ran 52min last year).

The chute isn't corals, it's self-assigned areas. In this race, folks are actually conservative. The 8min group will probably go out at 7:45-ish. The crowd will help him start easier than he would otherwise, if he doesn't do the sprint/jig/jog/weave thing.

There are a lot of RA folks who have run this race, it will be interesting to see the various interpretations.

(if you plug 'Cape Elizabeth Maine' into the RunSpots tool here -- you can see the B2B course stand out from all the times it's been logged. It does overlay the MW10 miler course for the Rt77 section, then B2B peels off to the right to Fort Williams)

Village people

Just for grins, here was my thinking...

He's got wheels, but no idea if he's got the endurance.  So take that 19:32 5K and assume he'll fade to 42 on a flat course. A-- plus her note that the sharp hills at 5.4 - 6.0mi killed him last year and  I'm guessing 45-46-48min at B2B would be a fantastic-great-good day. (he ran 52min last year).

I think this is a good guess. He won’t have an issue with the hills. The point about staying to the left to a vapid congestion is a good one. This course was my usual run back in the day. Inn by the Sea is a good place to get some space. Before the turn down Old Ocean. I will check out other’s experiences.

Ilana, last year’s 10km was his first race ever so he is a new runner. He now has a cross country season under his belt (it went very well) but middle school only races 3km. He runs the 800m in track and had a great season last year.

Thanks. I love this race. I remember walking to the course to watch the race while 8 months pregnant with my now almost 16 yo. We had the best neighbors in Fenway Rd.

an amazing likeness

They were out painting in the finish chute lines yesterday:

Tell him to be absolutely certain he outruns the guy running as a lighthouse:

Village people

LOL, that is funny. Reminds me of a quote from a friend who is also a local triathlete and coach. Underestimating your preparation is like lining up behind the strollers. I will remind him not to line up behind the lighthouse.

Village people

52:18. I will be interested to hear about it. Thanks, all.

I was looking for this post to compare times. He ran it again and did much better. 45:??. Much better pacing I suspect.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Makes me sad I didn't run it this year.

Village people

Makes me sad I didn't run it this year.

It is such a great race. Next year.

Village people

So his over place was a lot better than last year. 1661

compared to 20??. He said it was tough but figures the third time (next year) will be the charm.

an amazing likeness

and they're off...

...be sure to shake Joan's hand in the finish chute

..before you cave in to the heat and humidity...

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I would run the race just to shake Joan’s hand.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Village people

I would run the race just to shake Joan’s hand.

Yep.