GPS lapping strategy during a marathon (Read 60 times)

kcam

Just thought I'd share this idea on lapping your GPS watch during a marathon.

I'm the person that does not like to use the autolap feature (set to 1.0 mile) during any race.  I like to manually lap my watch at mile markers for all racing.  The problem is that for every marathon I've done I always miss several splits and I hate getting those 2 and even 3(!) mile splits.  What I did yesterday was to set the autolap to 1.05 miles.  I was able to manually lap at the official mile markers every time before the watch 'beeped' on it's own except in the cases where I missed the mile marker.  In that case the watch autolapped at 1.05.  I ended up with a 'long' mile of 1.05 miles followed by a 'short' mile of ~.95 miles when I got back on track with manual lapping. To me it's marginally better than getting those long laps of 2 miles.  You get a slightly better picture of actual mile split time than averaging the 2 miles together.  Of course if you don't care about the official mile marker splits you can just set it to 1.0 autolap!