1st OWS of season. 44f! (Read 967 times)

Gotta TRI

Finally, out of the pool and into the lake! Ice out was officially declared April 12th so May 2nd should be warm enough to get some laps in. Yes....44 degrees. It was brisk! First Tri of the season May 31st so gotta do it. Despite the cold it was GREAT to be in the lake again. The wetsuit makes all the difference.
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
    seeEricaRun

Awesome

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow. Brisk??? I admire your pain tolerance. My hands and feet always feel like someone is pounding hammers on them in cold water, even up into the mid-50s. I did my first race last year in 50 degree water - that's how I learned about the gasp reflex. I spent the whole of the swim leg flipped on my back clawing at the neck on my wetsuit, unable to swim. Turns out, I like breathing, so I now operate on a strict 55-degree minimum. Still jealous though - it's been great being back in the pool since I'm done with marathoning for the year, but I've been dying to get into the open water!

Gotta TRI

Ironically, I found out later that as I was swimming for "fun", Fish & Game units were searching the same lake for two fishermen that did regrettably drown. Sad

Gotta TRI

Well I've been swimming in the lake three times now.....Come on in! The waters fine! Actually going to the May 31st race site tonite to swim, bike and run the whole course. Believe this is a spring fed lake so it's probably as cold as the "big" lake. Undecided
          jeffdonahue

Does anyone out there know if there is a website I can use to get the water temperature at local lakes (for me specifically Walden Pond in Concord? MA). 

I would love to go for a swim there and used to all the time in the summer but my wetsuit is sleeveless and I cant really handle frigid waters.  There is a tri I am thinking about doing in late June in Wakefield, MA but would like to get at least a few swims in ahead of time.