High Hamstring Tendinopathy (Read 189 times)

Thanks, tchuck - good info.  You all are a great source of information to pull from and I appreciate it!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well I'm back with the same issue.  Around October it completely subsided and I was only dealing with some low level nerve issues.  I backed off on the pigeon pose wondering if it was creating impingement on the nerve.  Doing that caused my hip to get tight again, and I think that pulled everything out of whack.  So now I'm back to dealing with HHT and nerve stuff.

I found a good sports chiro who introduced me to cupping.  That was a big help with the nerve issue.  I've ordered my own set of cups to use at home every few days since I can't afford to go to him every day. I should have them tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

Trying to get back into my PT for some exercises and to discuss the HHT issue  . . . . and the fact that I'm signed up for my first ultra in 2 year and come hell or high water, I'm running it.    . . . . . we'll see how he takes the news.

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

Well that sucks. For me, my upper hammys feel pretty darn good now but if you would ask me if I am cured, I would say no. I don't take my "feel good" status for granted andI still act like I have HHT and do a lot of negatives for hammys, glute work, hip work, pre hab before runs. I had a minor re-occurrance after a half last year. Persistant pain lingering months is no longer an inflammatory issue. In the offseason I increased rehab for 8 weeks doing a lot more of negative resistance hamstring work and more isolated glute work. The first 4 weeks my hammy hurt more but then it turned around and by 8 weeks I was pretty good. All my races including a half I have finished healthy. Negatives help realign muscle fibers. You can't do enough strength and core work.

As I type I am sitting on an infrared heating pad to warm up my hammys and glutes before my long run. It has become lart of my lifestyle. My motivation is that I never want to get back to the point that every waking hour or every time I sit I am reminded of my issue. It really is a miserable condition. It takes work and time.....good luck to you.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It has been a pain in my butt since the 1st week of February. 12 weeks of no cardio. Finally went to a chiropractic . He adjust my hip. After the 3rd visit in 10 days I walked 17 miles of the Pro Football HF marathon and ran the last 7 miles. I walked the Bear Lake Trifecta(8 hours) Less than 100  training miles since Feb. The plan is to go to the chiropractor at least twice a month. Going to order a foam roller today. Just finished a 5 mile run walk.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1. I go to places and people wonder why I standing.

Well that sucks. For me, my upper hammys feel pretty darn good now but if you would ask me if I am cured, I would say no. I don't take my "feel good" status for granted andI still act like I have HHT and do a lot of negatives for hammys, glute work, hip work, pre hab before runs. I had a minor re-occurrance after a half last year. Persistant pain lingering months is no longer an inflammatory issue. In the offseason I increased rehab for 8 weeks doing a lot more of negative resistance hamstring work and more isolated glute work. The first 4 weeks my hammy hurt more but then it turned around and by 8 weeks I was pretty good. All my races including a half I have finished healthy. Negatives help realign muscle fibers. You can't do enough strength and core work.

As I type I am sitting on an infrared heating pad to warm up my hammys and glutes before my long run. It has become lart of my lifestyle. My motivation is that I never want to get back to the point that every waking hour or every time I sit I am reminded of my issue. It really is a miserable condition. It takes work and time.....good luck to you.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

thought I was doing a good job with the core/ST, but evidently that would be a no.  I can't get into my PT until the 27th.  In the meantime, I am upping my game on the core/ST workouts.

And I decided to be a little smarter than I have been in the past and cancel my 50k at the end of July.

Cupping - My plan is 2-3x a week because it does initially increase irritation. But I know if I do it on a regular basis, it should help.

Tchuck - What kind of negative exercises are you doing?  I've been using resistance bands for hips, glutes, and hammies, but I'm open to anything suggestions.

I'm a big proponent of warming up really well before I run, so at least I've got that going for me. 

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

thought I was doing a good job with the core/ST, but evidently that would be a no.  I can't get into my PT until the 27th.  In the meantime, I am upping my game on the core/ST workouts.

And I decided to be a little smarter than I have been in the past and cancel my 50k at the end of July.

Cupping - My plan is 2-3x a week because it does initially increase irritation. But I know if I do it on a regular basis, it should help.

Tchuck - What kind of negative exercises are you doing?  I've been using resistance bands for hips, glutes, and hammies, but I'm open to anything suggestions.

I'm a big proponent of warming up really well before I run, so at least I've got that going for me. 

There are so many things to do. I would hop on You Tube. Here are some exercises I did over a 3 day per week program. I would try to get at least 8 - 12 sets of a combo of these exercises each of the 3 days. RDLs, Nordic hamstring girls. Lying hamstring curl (up with 2 legs, down slowly with one), one leg squat, weighted step ups pushing from heel, cable hip extension (toe turned out to really squeeze glute, on way back a slow negative while turning toe back to neutral position), kettle bell squats, swiss ball hamstring curls, walking hip abduction with bands, one leg bridges etc. the more you do the better and think slowly. Stick to it.....you may feel more soreness the first month doing this but a. Reakthrough will occur.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Thanks, Tchuck.  I'm doing some of those already so it sounds like I'm on the right track.  And yes, definitely have soreness and irritation.  I stopped doing step ups and squats because I didn't know if they would cause anymore damage, but I would am happy to reincorporate those.

To clarify - you are doing these exercises 3x a week?  Is there anything you do everyday as maintenance?

Did you stop running completely when you had the onset of HHT, or did you just dial it back and start pushing the core/ST?  I don't have a PT appt until the 27th, and in the meantime I stopped running.  Haven't run since last Thursday.

PS - I just looked up some of the ones I didn't know.  THANK YOU!  They all look really good.  As an added bonus, I should end up having a halfway decent butt. 

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

The only time I ever took off from running was when I had cortisone shots or PRP injections years back.  I was in so much pain back then and with a bursitis component too that When I had injections, doc said I needed to take at least a week off but took 4 weeks off. This past year I took no time off as I really felt it would provide no benefit.

Over the years, the only exercise I battled was the Romanian deadlift and RDLs.....these would just really really hurt to the point where it went too far. Over the years I realized it is more about the movement than trying to go heavy. This last offseason I did these type of exercises 3 X per week but not all the same ones. One of those days was more butt focused vs hammy. There is always some overlap but I am a believer in providing a bit different stimulous each day. Now I am back to once a week maintenance plan. As far as daily, I try to get in some hammy, hip flexor stretching in after normal work out. Before runs, I do prehab including dynamic exercises and certain exercises to get glutes firing including just squeezing them on bridges or hip extensions. You want more glutes, less hammys working on runs.

That really helps.  I do appreciate the information, because in my "urgency" to get better, I definitely have a tendency to overdue it.

You mentioned bursitis.  Was it ischial bursitis?  That's what I battled last year and OMG it was incredibly painful.  So much so that if I needed  to do something like go to the grocery story, I had to calculate how much walking I would be doing because just the motion of moving the leg back and forth caused irritation beyond belief.  Unfortunately, I think I'm on the edge of bursitis again. 

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

Yes, ischial tuberosity bursitis along with tendonitis on both sides. The burning and chronic pain was bad. You simply can't sit. Sports doc put me on high dose NSAIDs for 1 month with therapy. It tamed it, but when I went off NSAIDs it worsened again. He then did the cortisone shots which were a Godsend. Amazing relief.

Shonofear

Hey all,

I’m just ya regular casual runner who loves a dash through the trails but mostly found me on the golf course or gym or surfing. Well that feels like a distant memory now...

So in Jan 2018, I did some deadlifts then decided to try and see how high I could kick, yea pretty high but at a cost, as i felt a minor pop and limped home. I never got it looked at and decided to give 2 weeks off then do a light leg day, well i did light weights but still at great depth in squats and that afternoon i felt like a knife being stabbed into my high hammy.
                          So over the next 2 months trying my best not to do any leg things that might hurt it but it becomes more easy to piss off so I see some physio and a sports doc. Both suggest ultrasound and then get mri to confirm tendinosis at the insertional conjoint and semimembranosus tendon insertions to the sit bone with scarring on the conjoint tendon with some added adductor and gluteal tendinopathy and with a bonus fraying with possible tear of the anterosuperior acetabular labrum at 1-2 o’clock. :O

At last an answer now got put onto a exercise physio and he wasn’t  impressed with my posture (very anterior pelvic tilt and hunched back) so got me on a glute strength program but almost all the exercises aggravated my hammy and had to tip toe around for a while what I could manage. Anyways, all was going well during May then I was standing up most days at my workstation and a few 12-14hr days in a row saw my feet blow out, heaps of inflammation and was on crutches for 2 months and forced to sit on a hurting hammy. This is about the time bad things started happening on my left side (non injured side) probably a combination of favouring the left side and being on crutches for so long hopping on 1 leg lead me to get HHT on my left leg Sad

It’s now September and I finally get some breakthrough with my rehab, now able to do a deep squat with no irritation, gentle cycling is ok and feeling somewhat optimistic (but sitting pains still very there) then I managed to hyperextend my thumb doing an incline plank Sad
                          thank God no ligament tear but will be 12 weeks till I am at full function with the hand and all this put my leg rehab off for a few weeks then went back to gym, jumped on the spin bike for 20min and went way to hard with the resistance and now experienced my first major setback and has been super sensitive again, feels like back to square one. And now my left side is hurting at rest or even just standing up and i no longer wake up refreshed but with pains. And to make things even more complicated I have my left outer hip becoming painful, cant sleep on it and its really tight and jammed through there (dont wanna think this but glute tendon issues now on left side..)

Now I have moved back to my mums and seen another sport doc and was about to get him to do PRP on me but canceled once learning he doesn’t do ultrasound guided as i thought thats pretty important yea?
                          I opt for another MRI of both hips and funnily enough the results were inconclusive of anything wrong with me. Ha, so confused.

So i see another exercise physio who has a reputation of knowing the pelvis pretty well. Does some tests on me, he does notice the clicking in my hips that has gotten worse Since my dramas began and notices hip imbalances (right leg is shorter and my right shoulder dropped). He has me doing some exercises but I am still wondering will PRP be a good choice for my injury? For some reason I feel convinced to get PRP done but now my sport doc doesn’t think its needed due to the latest MRI showed no problems. Tbh I feel like he’s sorta useless.
                          Not sure anymore, as I have another job offer to start in Feb 2019 but they want an answer very soon but its hard to say what health condition i will be in by then (at least this company has stand up desks)

so in summary.

Do you need an actually tear for PRP to be effective on the hamstrings? And ultrasound guided a must?
                          Would that sacro wedged be of any help for my conditions? For the out of whack hips?

thanks for the wealth of info on these forums.

SMART Approach

You have a lot going on. I feel for you. I have been there. If you have chronic pain and tendonosis, I think PRP with tendon poking is a viable option. I had it done under ultrasound guidance. I do think is guidance necessary. Be sure the doc has a lot of experience doing PRP and using ultrasound guidance.

A diseased tendon will always be sore and irritated. Sitting sucks and you really cannot stretch it without pain so I never did static stretching just dynamic movements.  I battled for 6 years with it and did the PRP on both sides. I also started high dose Vit D with K2 and magnesium. I am basically 100% now but still am smart and do my glute, core and hammy exercises. It is a lifetime thing for me. I also use H-Wave which is wonderful for healing and recovering from my work outs and pains when they pop up. I am basically pain free throughout whole body for first time in 10 years. It does take work and time though on many fronts. I wish you luck.

Shonofear

Thanks  tchuck,
                              sheesh, you have Really tuffed it out for a long time, glad you got the answers and healing you needed and are on top of your health.

I now understand this will be a long term thing to stay on top of, but I can live with that, as long I can sit pain free and get back to normal living as my mental state has really taken a toll this year, which I’m sure has slowed down my healing and kept inflammation around for longer. I actually went to 1 chiro recently and was put into the red zone of increased stress and my back is out of whack as well, he offered a 8 week plan but I chose not to, not sure about Chiros.
                              Ok, well I will find somewhere with PRP experience for this injury but glad I cancelled the blind non guided PRP, and it turns the Doc hasn’t even done PRP on that area before.

Interesting about that H-Wave, I have a few questions about it, what area do you use it on? And how often? And did you buy it for home use? Can you say that it has helped? I’m just looking at the price now and its a bit out of my budget.
                              I will book in for the naturopath to get my levels tested this week, i now have a cupboard full of vitamins/minerals/collagen and starting to get confused with them all so would be good to get an idea of what’s low. How much did you up the VIt D/Mag/K2 ? Like double the dosage?

Man I wish I could get the zero gravity workstation, I was looking into a desk that would help with my pains when I couldn’t stand due to foot injury and laying on my back was the answer $10k though... https://altwork.com/
                              Funnily enough sitting on a toilet doesn’t hurt at all and have been thinking of getting something of similar measurements, like a toilet seat cushion... that would go down well at work.

Thanks again

SMART Approach

Be sure to get some cushions to sit on at home, office, car.....Wonder Gel cushions helped the best. I have a 40% off coupon for H-Wave if interested. Also, PM me and I can answer questions on H-Wave and supplement dosing and provide more insight overall on your condition.