The classic question... (Read 1195 times)

rrand

Ok, I know you have probably heard this question a million times, but I'm going to try to rephrase it to make is sound new. I'm a 19 year old female, I've been running on and off since high school. I ran Xcountry in HS and I am generally active (sports, hiking, biking, etc). Here's the thing: a while ago, I decided that I wanted to start running again. But this time, I was determined to make it fun and not torture. (In HS Cross Country, I basically just felt like I was going to puke the whole time). So I started slow and ran slow and made sure not to push myself too hard. Now I'm at the point where I can run 3 or 4 miles and not get tired. When I run, it's easy. Unfortunately, it is still torture for me and I don't know why. I can get myself to go out pretty much every day to run, but it takes soooo much willpower just to get out there, and the whole time I just want to be done. And it's not because I'm tired or in pain. I really want to stick with running. I think it's a healthy way to stay in shape, but is there any way to make is less... agonizing? Thanks! Becca ps- I'm promise it's not just because I'm lazy. Smile
    snooz_bar

Good for you for staying with running even though it is "torture". It sounds like you need to make it fun, so you won't mind doing it. Vary your routes a lot (maybe make it an adventure and explore), wear an MP3 player (if you are in a safe area/environment), find a running partner, take your dog with you (or a friend or neighbor's, ect), try running some trails. Plan to run a race so you have a specific goal you are working toward. If you are wishing it was over the whole time you are out, are you feeling guilty about running? Like is it taking time away from something else you know you should be doing? Good luck, hope that helps, keep with it. Kyle

snooz_bar has good advice. I'd look first into finding a running partner, as that is likely to make the biggest difference and be the best combination of ease and safety. After that, I'd try finding some trails. I find it difficult to get bored when I'm running trails because I have to constantly be scanning where to put my feet, the terrain varies as I go, and it's just plain fun. Here's some advice for trail running from a road runner's perspective: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/10/01/trail-running-deserves-more-attention-from-road-runners.html

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Running is a very goal oriented activity and it's a lot easier to get out there if you have one in mind. Enter some races, set your self a personal goal of a certain pace, single distance or weekly mileage to work toward and work toward it. And don't forget to reward yourself when you get there, a new pair of running shoes or a fancy color coordinated running outfit will make it worth your while and a lot easier to get motivated. Tom
          Scout7

It's torture because you view it as such. The advice is simple: don't look at running as something you "have to do". It's not. If you look at it as "torture", or "have to do it", then it won't be fun. First thing you do: Don't refer to your running with negative connotations. If you tell others that it's not fun, then it won't be fun for you. Next thing you do: Focus on WHY you run. Look at the positive aspects of your running. You're outside, you're in the moment, it helps you stay in shape. Whatever the good points of running are for you, focus on those. Eventually, you will no longer look at it as something bad, but rather something to enjoy. Do it on your own terms.
              Say and run "fartlek" a lot. Fartlek Fartlek Fartlek Fartlek, fartlek, fartlek! (It's Swedish or something like that meaning speed play, and, basically, you alternate running slow and fast, say, between phone poles. But, you ran XC. You probably know that.) You've been given other good advice, so I won't repeat.
                The fact that it's so "easy" and still "torture" doesn't make any sense. Are you just bored with it? Maybe you should set some goals for speed or distance or both, and give yourself a challenge. You should make your log public or give some more details. People are just giving you random advice. Maybe you could try mixing in some biking. I see people juggling from time to time during 5k races...you could give that a shot. On a side note, in one of my first 5k's, I almost got beat by a guy who was probably in his 60's and was juggling 3 tennis balls while he ran. Luckily he dropped all of them around mile 2 and I was able to put some distance between us.

A Saucy Wench

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

Buy cute running clothes!

Runners run

Find a new trail to explore - either just to run some place new or one with historical significance or one with abandoned cabin or one with neat scenery or ... Go someplace with your run, if you can. Maybe do some off-trail running (like orienteering) if you can (trail etiquette in most places suggests one not leave trails in heavily used areas). Take a lunch (ok, maybe a clif bar) and enjoy a mountain / hill top at top of your run. Not all running has to be "training". Consider why you run. You might consider changing the frequency of your runs, maybe taking a recovery or xt day or two each week. Maybe change the duration of your runs - some longer to explore, some shorter. Keep it fresh. Good luck.
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        When I was young and first married, not so long ago, I was hooked on running and my wife was just a beginner with the same motivation problem as you. As we were young and didn't really have any money for frivilous purchases we made a deal than I would pay her $0.50 for every mile she ran. This money could be used for clothes, or anything she wanted. I swear it wasn't a control issue... we just didn't have money to spare, and this allowance based on running helped to motivate her! Smile Now she's just as hooked on running as I am... albeit without the allowance.
                        JakeKnight

It's torture because you view it as such. The advice is simple: don't look at running as something you "have to do". It's not. If you look at it as "torture", or "have to do it", then it won't be fun. First thing you do: Don't refer to your running with negative connotations. If you tell others that it's not fun, then it won't be fun for you. Next thing you do: Focus on WHY you run. Look at the positive aspects of your running. You're outside, you're in the moment, it helps you stay in shape. Whatever the good points of running are for you, focus on those. Eventually, you will no longer look at it as something bad, but rather something to enjoy. Do it on your own terms.
                          You'll rarely see better advice. There have been long threads on what exactly defines a runner, and my answer is always simple: runners run to run. Not for weight loss or trophies or to impress the babes, but for the sake of running itself. And the only way to get there is to learn to love it. I don't know how that happens exactly. No idea at all. But if you follow Scout's advice, and stick with it long enough ... and take your own very good advice to keep it easy and make it fun ... one day you'll wake up and say: "I get to run today." Not "I have to." But ... "I get to." It's a cycle. A circle. Whatever. But once its fun, once you actually want to do it, its a whole lot easier to build miles, and get faster ... and then you enjoy it more, want to run more, and you get faster and healthier still. It's running magic. No joke. The trick is hopping on that cycle. You're already way ahead of most people because you at least recognize the need to make it fun. Once its in your blood, the rest is just details. This is exactly why I wish every new person would skip all the details and just go have fun for a year or three. Just don't stop. Keep with it. Sooner rather than later, you'll find yourself pouting because your long run got rained out. Then you'll find yourself running anyway. Then you'll find yourself seriously considering running in a tornado, or at the least being annoyed at the tornado. Because it screwed up your run. Which will make you sick as the rest of us, of course. But you won't think your runs are agonizing. You'll think skipping them is agonizing.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Just don't stop. Keep with it. Sooner rather than later, you'll find yourself pouting because your long run got rained out. Then you'll find yourself running anyway. Then you'll find yourself seriously considering running in a tornado, or at the least being annoyed at the tornado. Because it screwed up your run.
                            Amen to that. So true, so true.

The Greatest of All Time

Then you'll find yourself seriously considering running in a tornado, or at the least being annoyed at the tornado. Because it screwed up your run.
                              That happend to me. The night before a long run a tornado ripped up some of town and I had to alter my long run route. I was not pleased.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                                OK, I'll go the other way. If it's torture, quit. I was you for 40 years. Then I ran a 10k on a whim, got passed by people that my bloated ego said should not pass me (including the, err, heavy guy dressed entirely as an American flag), and that was that. Since then, it's been a series of interim goals. 45 minute 10k, marathon completion, BQ. Somewhere along the way, it became part of my life. I get angry when injury forces me to take time off. I ran a marathon last week as a training run, which amused the hell out of me. I'm now thinking of running a 50-miler -- a concept that I publicly and loudly proclaimed idiotic just two years ago. I am at a total loss to explain why I like to run, nor can I explain why I hated it for so long. Maybe it's just because I'm old. So if you're just looking for a way to stay healthy and fit, play basketball, soccer, softball, hockey, lift weights, swim, bike, take aerobics, do what you like. If you force yourself to do something you hate, you'll resent it (e.g. your X-Country experience). I may get criticized for suggesting this, but do you wear an Ipod? Sorry purists, but I love to run and listen to my tunes, especially on a nice day along the canal or through the Capitol Mall. Anyway, I will bet that if you quit tomorrow, you will be back eventually. Maybe it's just not time yet.