what's the best thing that ever happened to you while running? (Read 222 times)

...did you get engaged, meet the love of your life, find a winning lottery ticket, save a life, have an epiphany, etc...

I found $46.

ymmv

...did you get engaged, meet the love of your life, find a winning lottery ticket, save a life, have an epiphany, etc...

I decided to do it again.

Maggie & Molly

running.  Seriously, I was a very overweight chain smoker with severe asthma.  Now I can run a half marathon.    Makes me want to cry sometimes. Joking it feels so good

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

+1.  As a fellow former overweight smoker, nothing beats the gift that is running itself.

running.  Seriously, I was a very overweight chain smoker with severe asthma.  Now I can run a half marathon.    Makes me want to cry sometimes. Joking it feels so good

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

robinde

Ditto.  Wasn't a smoker with asthma, but climbing a flight of stairs because of my obesity was a serious workout.  Now, I can run up and down the stairs without getting winded.  Liberating.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've run my 2 PW HMs with Knifey.  And one of those was also with Heather73.  Why run a PR alone when you can run slow with friends and have mobile party for 2.5 hours?!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Aside from all the various benefits and joys of running in general, the most memorable positive, single actual experience during a run was on a long run almost 6 years ago.  As I was running along I realized that the next time I did that particular route I would likely be a father.  I was running on clouds the last half of the run.

The next time I did that route I was very tired.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I found $110.

You people have issues 

joescott

I ran my marathon PR on a beautiful, crisp October morning in Minnesota, but what made it the most special run for me of all time was that my son and my dad were both there with me on that trip.  My boy called to me in the finish chute, "Dad, 2:50?!"  "Yes, I think so," I told him.  He was just getting into running enough at that point as an 8th grader to really appreciate what had happened.  Here are Wyatt and Dad the day before the race in St. Paul with the Mississippi River in the background.  I loved that weekend.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DoppleBock

Running a few marathons with my sister - helped to get us together at least once a year and we are closer now.

Health

I remember an intense runners high that lasted the final 35 miles of a 50 mile training run - I never wanted to stop, but it was almost 2 in the morning on a week (Work) night.

Meeting a lot of people

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

npaden

Not really the best thing, but very much the opposite of the other thread on things happening to you while running...

Last fall I was running in a torrential downpour.  It was raining HARD!  (not the smartest thing I've ever done, but not the dumbest either).

Not once, but twice I had people roll their windows down and ask if I needed a ride.  Not sure if I just looked lost or what, but I thought it was very kind of them.  I also don't think they thought through their offer very much because I was drenched and unless they had a beach towel in their car I would have gotten everything wet if I actually sat down in their car.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

Wile running over the last 4 years ... I lost about 40 lbs, I physically feel like a teenager again, I raised about $9K for Run for our Sons, met lots of interesting people (including many of you clowns), etc, etc...

I posted this in the "Strange things you've seen on a run" section as well, but it was just so cool, I'm going to repeat it here.

Sunday I went out with my wife and a couple of friends on a leisurely (5 mile recovery) run. We were running on some quiet roads adjacent to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. About 2.5 miles in, we were joined by a doe. At first, we were a bit nervous about the deer's intentions, one of the girls, was very spooked and didn't want the animal near her, so I sped up. Sure enough, the deer followed me. I kept a 30 yard or so lead from the girls, and the deer stayed about two yards off my left flank, it followed my lead for the next 2.5 miles!

So I ran with a deer (to be sure, my occasionally speedy strides solicited barely a trot from the animal, so while I was running, the same could hardly be said of the deer).

As with many parts of the country, deer are quite common in our area, and I have heard of folks hand feeding them from time to time, which may explain this deer's comfort level in approaching humans, but I've never heard of a deer running in a pack of humans.

It was weird and awesome at the same time.

Maybe not the best thing, but  a nice thing.   My husband waved and honked at me.  I was in the park, with trees around me, but he knew where I would likely be, at that moment, and he actually looked for me, and honked !  I was thrilled.

Maybe becuase my ex would never even bother to look for me at all. It's so nice to be appreciated! !

Oh, and I also saw the sweetest little deer this morning.  He had the most precious face ever.

I love my early morning runs in the park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Anya