a rubbing injury? what helps? (Read 675 times)

redleaf

Blush I am well-endowed. I went and got properly fitted for a sports bra as my older ones have seen better days. I have used it about three times without any problems whatsoever. Yesterday, it felt like it was rubbing a little under my right breast but me being me I finished my run/walk thingy. When I went and had my shower it just looked a little red/raw. I showered and it didn't hurt or anything. Today though it was a little tender and was like a blister had burst - a little sticky etc. I put some polysporin on it and a bandage and it feels fine but I have some questions: (a) how to prevent this from happening again? It hasn't happened before. DH gave some suggestions i.e. maybe there was a bug bite and it rubbed that or some other dirt or something; the 8 pounds I've lost since getting the bra maybe makes it rub a bit now. I have another sports bra that I will use tomorrow but I really like the new bra - it felt great the first few times. (b) how should I treat it now? Is polysporin and a bandage okay? is there something better? thanks very much.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, owie! I have had similar issues, but not to that degree. I would think the sporin meds and a bandage of some sort would be good. To prevent it in the future I wholeheartedly recommend Body Glide stick on any areas that you know are chafe prone. Excellent stuff.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

bodyglide If it doesnt hurt at all, you probably dont need to treat it, I would let it air out as much as possible. I've never even had very painful chafe get infected. Scar, yes, infected no. Of course you probably have to wear a bra to work, so then, yeah maybe a bandage.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

redleaf

Thanks Body Glide would be easiest found at a running store I take it?

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks Body Glide would be easiest found at a running store I take it?
            Dick's Sporting Goods will carry it...other than that I usually see it at running stores. Not sure if other sporting goods stores would have it or not.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

bodyglide If it doesnt hurt at all, you probably dont need to treat it, I would let it air out as much as possible. I've never even had very painful chafe get infected. Scar, yes, infected no. Of course you probably have to wear a bra to work, so then, yeah maybe a bandage.
              hmmm... I think DH would get a kick out of me trying to air it out!

HF #4362

A Saucy Wench

running store, or maybe a hiking outdoors store like REI. In the meantime you can use vaseline, but in my experience it wears off faster and stains my bras.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

redleaf

Thanks for your help! No REI or Dick's Sporting Goods in Canada but I get the idea!

HF #4362

Misinformation Officer

Definitely BodyGlide for future prevention once you are healed up. Also, if you ever have future chafe that does not break the skin, Boudreaux's (sp?) Butt Paste (a special diaper cream) does an amazing job of healing chafe quickly, but it will stain clothes.
                      I'm not a fan of Body Glide, but plain old vasoline works great for me. And it's cheaper. Smile
                      "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
                      jeffdonahue

Yeah, I second (or eigth) the bodyglide to prevent it next time. But for the chaffing that you already have I use Gold Bond cream - it stings like a bitch, but it really helps heal it up fast.
                        redleaf

Yeah, I second (or eigth) the bodyglide to prevent it next time. But for the chaffing that you already have I use Gold Bond cream - it stings like a bitch, but it really helps heal it up fast.
                          Cool thanks!

HF #4362

ashares

it might just be that you lost weight in your chest and the bra is a bit too big now. when my bras get stretched out, i just dry them in the dryer. this may not be very good for certain materials though.
                              redleaf. I see you are in Toronto, so you'll find Body Glide at The Running Room. Plenty of locations in the GTA. Also, you might want to check out this group: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/GTA/
                              redleaf

redleaf. I see you are in Toronto, so you'll find Body Glide at The Running Room. Plenty of locations in the GTA. Also, you might want to check out this group: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/GTA/
                                Thanks - I picked some up on the way home yesterday (from the downtown running room). I tried it this morning and it seems to have done the job. No new annoying rubbing stuff. Now just to heal the couple I've got.

HF #4362