10K Race Question (Read 105 times)

BobScott

First time poster here, looking forward to joining the discussion and educating myself further from this group. My first question is this: I am running a virtual 10K this weekend. I am kicking around the idea of running is on a track instead of around my neighborhood (which is essentially as flat as you can find) in the hopes of running my best time possible. I am hesitant to loop around a track 25 times, but I am wondering if it could cut any significant time off my run? If it helps, I am aiming to finish in just over 41 minutes, or just a tick under or at 6:30 per mile. Looking forward to some thoughts on this! Thanks.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I would say that track will be faster, unless you run a downhill or point to point route with a tailwind.

On the plus side, 25 laps is exactly 10k and true....but it will register longer on your watch, so aim for 6:10/15 GPS pace if you want to break 41min. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

How well do you handle the monotony of running circles on a track? Whenever I am running, I have to be going somewhere and have scenery changes to keep me motivated. I lose interest very quickly when running on a treadmill or track because it is the same thing over and over. The thought of running 25 laps on a track by myself is making me cringe right now replying to this post.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

runnin gal

If you run it on a track, I believe you should change direction every mile to avoid injury to your inside knee.  Of course that will add a couple seconds each time.  I'd go for the flat neighborhood and make it more enjoyable.

runmichigan

If you run it on a track, I believe you should change direction every mile to avoid injury to your inside knee.  Of course that will add a couple seconds each time.  I'd go for the flat neighborhood and make it more enjoyable.

On an outdoor track you do not need to change direction every mile for a 10K.  The turns on an outdoor track are not tight enough to cause issues.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Make sure you count the laps correctly. It would suck to lose count. 

delicate flower

25 times around a track is nothing.  Go for it.  I did a virtual quarter marathon (6.55 miles) on a track a couple of months ago.  I've done as much as 2.5 hours on a track.  The monotony doesn't bother me.  People do that on a treadmill.

Also, if you want to cut out a couple of laps, run on the outside lane.  My five mile track workouts are 18 laps because I run on the outside lane when I can.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Having run 50K on a track, I don't see 10K as that much of a problem.  My main suggestion is to ignore the pace display in favor of matching lap and cumulative times for your goal.  A final time of 41:15 would require running 1:39 per lap, which is 6:38.3 pace.  If you want 6:30 pace,  you would have to run 40:23, i.e. 1:36.9 per lap, call it 1:37 with a good last lap kick.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Do you have a parking lot around you could use? I've done a few 1 mile time trials & a 5k using the parking lot & bus loop at my local elementary school. It's mostly flat, I can make a .25 mile or 1k loop and far less people than at the track. If your shopping areas are closed, you may be able to find a nice loop there with little to no traffic.

I am a fan of Mizuno Wave Riders, I feel like they are better on pavement than on the track. The 1st two 1 mile TT I did were about 2 weeks apart. I was faster on pavement vs the track.

CalBears

The only way I would appreciate this post is if it was said ironically . If not - then it's nonsense. In 9 years of my running hobby I was running on track everything from 1 mile to 22 miles - never changed any direction while running there (always going counter-clockwise) and never had any problems with "inside knees". Just bizarre how people read some strange stuff somewhere and manage to believe it... I am pretty sure the "inside knee"  "wisdom" is from the the same source as "running is bad for your knees". 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

zebano

Do you have a parking lot around you could use? I've done a few 1 mile time trials & a 5k using the parking lot & bus loop at my local elementary school. It's mostly flat, I can make a .25 mile or 1k loop and far less people than at the track. If your shopping areas are closed, you may be able to find a nice loop there with little to no traffic.

I am a fan of Mizuno Wave Riders, I feel like they are better on pavement than on the track. The 1st two 1 mile TT I did were about 2 weeks apart. I was faster on pavement vs the track.

I would bet dollars to donuts that being faster on the road is highly unusual. While it is possible your shoes aren't good on a track, or good on corners in general, the most likely reason your were faster is that you paced better the second time as fitness shouldn't change significantly in 2 weeks. One of the great advantages of time trialing on a track (besides being flat, measured precisely, having a quick responsive surface) is that you can wear spikes. If there are that many people at the track that you have to detour around them, that can also make a difference. Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions like you felt good on both days, the weather was similar etc. etc.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

kcam

I would bet dollars to donuts that being faster on the road is highly unusual. While it is possible your shoes aren't good on a track, or good on corners in general, the most likely reason your were faster is that you paced better the second time as fitness shouldn't change significantly in 2 weeks. One of the great advantages of time trialing on a track (besides being flat, measured precisely, having a quick responsive surface) is that you can wear spikes. If there are that many people at the track that you have to detour around them, that can also make a difference. Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions like you felt good on both days, the weather was similar etc. etc.

Not for jobbyhoggers like us me.  I used to run a lot of road 5K and track 5000's and I was always quicker on the roads.  Something about going round and round didn't propel me to my fastest times.  Didn't use spikes but I don't think that was the reason.

I could never imagine running 25 laps at a fast pace (like 10K pace) ... 12 1/2 was too many for me!  And I did lose track of lap count on at least one 5000.  I kicked for the finish line and looked at the clock and KNEW there was no way I could run that time, so deflating to realize how badly you screwed up.  Had to keep going and it was a very difficult last lap.  Don't make that mistake! 

delicate flower

The only way I would appreciate this post is if it was said ironically . If not - then it's nonsense. In 9 years of my running hobby I was running on track everything from 1 mile to 22 miles - never changed any direction while running there (always going counter-clockwise) and never had any problems with "inside knees". Just bizarre how people read some strange stuff somewhere and manage to believe it... I am pretty sure the "inside knee"  "wisdom" is from the the same source as "running is bad for your knees". 

In the past 10 years my "inside knee" has experienced tears to the ACL twice, which also included tears to the LCL, MCL, PCL, multiple meniscus tears, and bone bruising.  If the track doesn't bother my inside knee, it won't bother anyone's.

<3

LRB

I am hesitant to loop around a track 25 times, but I am wondering if it could cut any significant time off my run? If it helps, I am aiming to finish in just over 41 minutes, or just a tick under or at 6:30 per mile. Looking forward to some thoughts on this! Thanks.

If you're able to put the number of laps on a shelf somewhere and just focus on attaining and holding the effort for your target pace, you'll find that you might smoke this thing, provided you don't go out too fast, have the fitness and conditions are favorable (no wind, not hot, low humidity, etc.). If on the other hand the number of laps are your primary focus, you'll be carrying unnecessary mental baggage, which may make it seem harder than it is.

Half Crazy K 2.0

When I use the track, I run to and from it. So unless I wear to carry a change of shoes, I'm stuck with my usual. I find I do better on courses with slight elevation changes. Not much, but just enough that youn break up the flat every so often.