Average 400 meter time for adult (Read 506 times)

TripleBock

I would say the 400 is a tough one for the Age Graded calculator.  When I was in shape (35-37) I could run a decent age graded 5k, I got better as I went longer 75+%, but 100 meter -200 meter -400 meter - 1 mile I was 60%.  My guess it will not take long before you are < 80 seconds and even 75 seconds if you are doing consistently doing specific workouts for the 400.

I just reached 1:28 seconds. Age Calculator had it at 51.7 %

Once the weather gets warmer, maybe I can get faster.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

Too short of a race that nutrition should play a role - Keep working and you will keep getting stronger and faster, but raced well it will always be very hard your last 100 meters.

I have to be honest, I can exhausted once I pass 320 meters into the run.  Maybe eating more before my sprint can provide the essential energy that  I need ?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Why is it sideways?

Remember it's the 400m DASH, not the 400m RUN. To run the 400 well, you need to pretty much sprint the whole way. If you are pacing yourself, you are doing it wrong.

Have "fun."

Too short of a race that nutrition should play a role - Keep working and you will keep getting stronger and faster, but raced well it will always be very hard your last 100 meters.

So, that gel I took at 200m didn't wasn't a factor?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, that gel I took at 200m didn't wasn't a factor?

Just wondering: At how many of the aid stations are you stopping for Gatorade?

#artbydmcbride

Just wondering: At how many of the aid stations are you stopping for Gatorade?

Rookie!  You take your last gel just before the gun, and you wear a fuel belt during the race for gatorade! 

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Rookie!  You take your last gel just before the gun, and you wear a fuel belt during the race for gatorade! 

Oh, excuse my ignorance!  Would a Camelback filled with Gatorade be a good idea?

this is probably a lot like asking if 3 pull-ups is good for a 38 year old, and then improving to 4 a week later.  for the USA in 2014 it probably is better than average.  so "good" is relative to whatever you want it to mean.  you could go on Let's Run and ask if 1:02 is good for 400 meters for a 38 year old and they'd laugh at you.  Anything over 0:55 might be considered penguin over there I guess.

joescott

42 seconds would be really good I think.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Teddy Lo

42 seconds is way out of my league.

Just a dude.

42 seconds is way out of my league.

It's out of everyone's league. The men's record is 43:18...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's out of everyone's ..

No, don't be discouraging. One has to believe in oneself.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

CT JEFF

Teddy -

sounds like you are off to a decent start. I decided to get timed on a 1 mile track last summer. I had already completed a marathon, so I felt somewhat fit. Time 7:14. Not very good. I honestly had no idea what my 1 mile pace was until I did it. Its good that you have found something to start with and are already seeing improvements. As you may have picked up, fuel isnt an issue in such a short run. Most people who run often dont need food or water for a 3 mile race. ( I still like a sip of water during a 5k)

Anyway- I wanted to say. Congratulations for finding a starting point. Now what? are you going to stick with 400's or start doing longer runs? Are you only training for speed, or are you trying distance too? What about hills? There are lots of ways to get faster other than just running around once. Hows your weight? If you can lose a couple lbs, that will likely make you faster.  Good luck.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Teddy Lo

Jeff,

I am really interested in shorter sprints, so that I can approve on speed. Maybe I would consider longer distances, but in all honesty I do not want to run more than a mile.

I want to increase speed, so that I can perfom well in other sports, such as basketball and football.

I also do not want to over do it, so to avoid injuries I also use a suana and swim frequently. Some weight training is important too.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Teddy Lo's response brings up a discussion point in my mind.  For a basketball player, obviously being a good sprinter is advantageous, but wouldn't some distance training also be helpful, in terms of endurance through a game?  What kind of distance?  Perhaps with a fair amount of intervals/fartlek?