How many calories did I really burn? (Read 1099 times)

Rubybaby43

enabler

Cool, so I'm going to run 3 miles and then drink 2 bombers of Mad Elf. 

Excellent job!!  You are now doing it the right way!  See how important math is in your life!

KLO

more miles = more beer

From what I've seen on my GPS watch it uses speed as part of the equation too.   Either way, I understand this site or my watch both use different formulas for counting calories burned.  

s3a0tt3r

Did they take calorie tracking off?  I don't see calories anywhere in my logs.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Today when I finished running my Garmin GPS said I burned 1002 calories.  But when I downloaded my data to this site it said I burned 955 calories.  I wonder why there's such a huge difference in readings?

I don't think that a 4.9% difference qualifies as huge, at least not in this case, given that these are truly ballpark estimates.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Docket_Rocket

Of course.  I run for beer.

When it comes down to it, this is really the only math that matters.

Red Bird, 5% is not really that much of a difference.  If you are counting calories and need to lose weight, then I would use the lower number just in case, but otherwise, it's not that big of an issue.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

running metalhead

Red Bird, 5% is not really that much of a difference.  If you are counting calories and need to lose weight, then I would use the lower number just in case, but otherwise, it's not that big of an issue.

Wrong!

you need it to know how many crates you will need. Here in Holland this is of vital importance since we transport the beer crates by bike.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Docket_Rocket

Yes, I forgot about the beer again!  Must know the exact calories so I know how many to drink!  (Cause I don't have a bike so my measures are different) Big grin

I ran 20 miles today.  I predict a lot of beer to be consumed tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just ate a pint of ice cream and drank 3 beers.

Answer: I need to go and burn me some more calories.

Here is a handy calculator that tells how many of what kinds of beer you can offset based on time and pace of run:

http://draftmag.com/calories/burned/?weight=111&hours=1&minutes=30&type=running9

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Slick, I get up to 11.2 PBRs tonight!'