Why isn't there a thread for the Olympics yet? (Read 373 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Los Angeles is getting the Special Olympics World Games in 2015!! 

http://www.specialolympics.org/los-angeles-2015.aspx

Pretty cool, as far as I'm concerned!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

The IOC needs to just buy some land and build a permanent site.  

While this would make good economic sense, politics are unlikely to allow it.  Think how much more economic sense it would make to have those venues used every four years for the big event, and how attractive it would be for athletes to spend time there practicing in off years and for ancillary competitions.  The model would be much more viable.  Solving the housing question for such a model would be a bit more complex.

A city like Chicago makes a lot more sense than many of the cities that have been hosting lately.  Chicago has the size to have use for many of the venues or even have some of them already built.  These unheard of cities who build stuff they will never ever use again...that's typically based on politics, not an iota of economic sense.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

I think what one of the article pointed out was that you aren't going to see democracies bidding for the Olympics. This is really the perfect opportunity for some egomaniac dictator to blow tons of money on dumb shit that their country really, really doesn't need.  North Korea needs to get a bid in.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

North Korea needs to get a bid in.

I don't think any more poor peasants need to be displaced from what little they have for the sake of Olympic venues.  Apparently Rio has been doing a bang-up job at that already.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Here is a good article:  http://www.businessinsider.com/2022-olympics-host-bidding-2014-10

I wonder if the solution is to start repeating cities and venues. I don't know if that would work because the cities change things like the athletes' village into permanent housing, and the Olympics may be fun for a few weeks, but repeats may wear out their welcome with local residents (especially when they are priced out of even seeing the events).

Most of the infrastructure is there, though. Innsbruck was able to host the Olympics for the second time in eight years on pretty short notice.

There was talk, when they weren't sure if Sochi could be ready in time, about moving the 2014 Games to Vancouver. Like Calgary '88, venues were built to be used afterwards. There are a lot of countries that don't plan beyond their games or can't afford to maintain the venues.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/02/21/abandoned-olympic-venues_n_4825485.html

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

#artbydmcbride

Some of those oil rich middle eastern countries could afford an Olympics!  They could even import snow to the desert!

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Some of those oil rich middle eastern countries could afford an Olympics!  They could even import snow to the desert!

Dubai already buys their whole Olympic team from other nations, why not the games themselves...if they can make this...

..they can make the venues...the weather may be another story.

Kalsarikännit

I am wicked excited, and Boston is wicked excited,’’

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/01/09/officials-discuss-olympic-bid-boston-friday-morning/GfjxkttCO3gVbPLLNGZhCL/story.html

Here is my dumb question. Could they (not would they) use the classic Boston Marathon course?  Does the Olympics have rules (kind of similar to WR standards) for point-to-point or elevation loss?

Wasn't Athens point to point?

The trials course would be way a better choice though.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I am wicked excited, and Boston is wicked excited,’’

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/01/09/officials-discuss-olympic-bid-boston-friday-morning/GfjxkttCO3gVbPLLNGZhCL/story.html

Here is my dumb question. Could they (not would they) use the classic Boston Marathon course?  Does the Olympics have rules (kind of similar to WR standards) for point-to-point or elevation loss?

This is a good question.  Athens was point-to-point.  It is curious that the Olympic course is apparently not held to IAAF standards for a WR.  Is there any reason the classic Boston Marathon course could not be used?

Kalsarikännit

This is a good question.  Athens was point-to-point.  It is curious that the Olympic course is apparently not held to IAAF standards for a WR.  Is there any reason the classic Boston Marathon course could not be used?

I don't know how everyone can remember that Athens course. I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Another logistical issue is that the Olympic marathon traditionally ends on the track in the Olympic Stadium.

Runners run

Another logistical issue is that the Olympic marathon traditionally ends on the track in the Olympic Stadium.

This is true. Although it seems not using the regular course would be a missed opportunity.

I don't follow this kind of thing, but there must be precedent - surely all cities that have hosted a summer Olympics also run large marathons, have they typically used the regular courses? Of course none of them are Boston, but still.

Dave

Feeling the growl again

This is true. Although it seems not using the regular course would be a missed opportunity.

I don't follow this kind of thing, but there must be precedent - surely all cities that have hosted a summer Olympics also run large marathons, have they typically used the regular courses? Of course none of them are Boston, but still.

Olympic courses have not routinely used the course of major marathons...the most recent example being London.

runmichigan

The 2012 London Olympic marathons broke the longstanding tradition of having the marathon finish in the Olympic Stadium.  They started and finished on The Mall outside of Buckingham Palace.