Why isn't there a thread for the Olympics yet? (Read 373 times)

I don't know how everyone can remember that Athens course. I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

I had a bowl of mary jane and half a bottle of Pinot Noir.

Feeling the growl again

I had a bowl of mary jane and half a bottle of Pinot Noir.

Salad with Fruit.  Health-conscious.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I heard today that Boston will be applying as the USA representative city for 2024.

Word is, they want to do an 'economical' Olympics, and have put forth a proposal stating they can host it, mostly with current venues at Boston-area colleges and other existing facilities.  The proposed cost is a lower-than-usual 5 Billion. (you believe a politician, right?)

I guess this action guarantees one of two things will happen:

1)  Another Non-US city gets picked for the Olympics in 2024, as the Olympic Committee usually bites on the most extravagant and expensive bids...  (fine by me)..., or

2)  Boston gets the Bid, hosts the Olympics, and after the fact discloses that it actually costed something more like 28 Billion to do instead of 5 Billion.    At least it would make the "big dig" budget fiasco look pale in comparison...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

I heard today that Boston will be applying as the USA representative city for 2024.

Word is, they want to do an 'economical' Olympics, and have put forth a proposal stating they can host it, mostly with current venues at Boston-area colleges and other existing facilities.  The proposed cost is a lower-than-usual 5 Billion. (you believe a politician, right?)

1)  Another Non-US city gets picked for the Olympics in 2024, as the Olympic Committee usually bites on the most extravagant and expensive bids...  (fine by me)..., or

2)  Boston gets the Bid, hosts the Olympics, and after the fact discloses that it actually costed something more like 28 Billion to do instead of 5 Billion.    At least it would make the "big dig" budget fiasco look pale in comparison...

Was it not security which made Sochi so ungodly expensive?  Re-purposing venues would not help with that.  Though there is an argument to be made for either using the same city repetitively or focusing on places with existing venues to make the cost less assinine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The IOC is starting to have challenges with the large bills. The bidding for 2022 was a bit of a gong show. Of the 8 hosts bidding, Poland dropped out, then Sweden, then Germany, then Switzerland.and Ukraine. It was down to the final 3 when Norway pulled their bid. The remaining two are Kazakhstan and China; decision will be made in July 2015.  Countries can't afford to host or, if they give their citizens a choice, it is more often rejected.

Rio de Janiero Brazil.  2016.

Pyongchang, South Korea 2018.

Tokyo, Japan 2020.

There's definitely a trend in who is hosting.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Was it not security which made Sochi so ungodly expensive?  Re-purposing venues would not help with that.  Though there is an argument to be made for either using the same city repetitively or focusing on places with existing venues to make the cost less assinine.

Sochi spend a boatload of money buying land and compensating people they had to move to make room to build all these venues.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

From the Internet.

As a Greater Boston-area resident, I hope like hell some other country's bid is chosen instead. I haven't talked to a single person who wants it to be hosted here and I'm sure that it'll end up costing more than they anticipate.

As a Greater Boston resident, you can count me as one of the people who would love to see the Olympics here.  We actually took a poll at our club's indoor track workout last week.  Out of about 30 runners, we were split evenly between for and against.

mikeymike

As a Greater Boston resident I'm willing to let the process play out and not get worked up about it one way or another just yet. It's 4 years before the IOC will even select and 10 years before the actual Olympics.

We have a pretty good track record around here (better than almost any other major US city) of not spending public money on things like sports stadiums and such. (Highway projects, not so much, but hey you try burying the central artery through a major city built on 17th century cow paths.)

They've promised an open and transparent process so I'm willing to take them at their word until proven otherwise.

I suspect either Boston won't get selected, or it will be a fairly low-key, cost-effective Olympics. It sure would be fun for those 17 days, assuming you don't have to go to work.

Runners run

From the Internet.

As a Greater Boston resident I'm willing to let the process play out and not get worked up about it one way or another just yet. It's 4 years before the IOC will even select and 10 years before the actual Olympics.

We have a pretty good track record around here (better than almost any other major US city) of not spending public money on things like sports stadiums and such. (Highway projects, not so much, but hey you try burying the central artery through a major city built on 17th century cow paths.)

They've promised an open and transparent process so I'm willing to take them at their word until proven otherwise.

I suspect either Boston won't get selected, or it will be a fairly low-key, cost-effective Olympics. It sure would be fun for those 17 days, assuming you don't have to go to work.

I suppose with 10 years to plan I could manage to just take those weeks off from work. It'd be summer anyway, maybe a vacation would even be in order (still a grad student now - vacation? what's that?).

xhristopher

I suppose with 10 years to plan I could manage to just take those weeks off from work. It'd be summer anyway, maybe a vacation would even be in order (still a grad student now - vacation? what's that?).

... and finance your vacation by renting out your place.

From the Internet.

... and finance your vacation by renting out your place.

Ooh great idea! I'll even give you a cut of the profit for thinking of that.

The IOC is starting to have challenges with the large bills. The bidding for 2022 was a bit of a gong show. Of the 8 hosts bidding, Poland dropped out, then Sweden, then Germany, then Switzerland.and Ukraine. It was down to the final 3 when Norway pulled their bid. The remaining two are Kazakhstan and China; decision will be made in July 2015.  Countries can't afford to host or, if they give their citizens a choice, it is more often rejected.

Down to Kazakhstan, and China?   If those are the only 2 remaining bids, I think it fairly clear who will be selected out of those 2.  If I was a betting man, I would say Congrats to China on winning a bid for another Olympics. :-)

As to Boston, I don't think they will win (Again, because they are using words like "cost effective" and "lower budget" in their proposal to the IOC.  But... If Boston does win it, I would travel up there and attend some of the events.  --- Word is that tickets for the Men's Trampolining event are bargain-basement in price... 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Ooh great idea! I'll even give you a cut of the profit for thinking of that.

Yeah, i'm not so sure that's such a great idea. I'd definately give your couch the "once over" with a black light once your guests leave.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run