When to go with milage and when to cut back (Read 150 times)

Muebele

I used to run regularly and was pretty good, than I had twins in 2014.  I have been trying to get back into running but have been stopping and starting due to injury and time constraints.  My problem is this, when I run too much I can't get over the soreness.  I have two options

- Start to run less and cross-train on the bike and swim more (which does not beat up my body as much)

- keep running and work on other parts likes strength training, stretching and weight loss to see if I can get back

In the past I could handle running a lot of mileage and in fact it helped to be running a lot.  Now with less time (3 kids ages 8, 3 & 3) and an older body (41) I cannot train like I used to.  But I am having trouble getting out of my old mindset

I am not looking to just keep running, but run fast.  Get back to marathons and get back to Boston.  I am not sure that is going to happen if I run less.  Anyone in the same boat as me?  Any good suggestions?

an amazing likeness

This I believe...To run fast, you first have to run more.  To run more, you first have to build up all the systems which support that happening.  How you do this buildup in your time/age/injury constraints is what you need to divine -- that's the 'experiment of one' aspect.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You can't run fast until you get back into shape running.  Give yourself a chance to build up. If you are sore, dial it back a little and work your way up. Consistency is key. Cutting back on running and substituting biking or swimming isn't going to make you a better runner. You are right about needing to let go of your old mindset. Train with the body you have now, not the one you used to have. Can you get back there? Maybe, but be smart about it. Consistency! Mostly easy, sometimes hard. And some days, leave the watch at home and just go by feel. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

wrmcmanus

While I'm not in the exact same boat, I have recently been in a somewhat similar boat.

During college I ran high mileage, and sometimes higher-than-I-should-have mileage, and in the couple years since graduating I've struggled to keep that level of training going without getting injured. Looking back, I think most of my problems have been related to letting my excitement about a goal cause me to increase my mileage too quickly while also increasing intensity, resulting in 4-6 weeks of astronomic improvement followed by catastrophe. Based on these experiences, my current (and so far successful) training, and what you've said, I have these thoughts:

-Really make sure you hold yourself to easy/moderate efforts when you're building volume, and even for several weeks once you've reached a peak or plateau. This is a ubiquitous and classic piece of advice, but one I managed to overlook many times in my eagerness to get in shape.

-At least 2 days per week should be super easy days. These runs should hardly fatigue you (i.e. shouldn't contribute to your soreness). To illustrate, my average long run/normal daily run pace is around 6:30/mile; my easy run pace is often 9:00/mile or slower.

-The quality of my running (and the resilience of my legs) has increased a great deal by making pre-run dynamic stretching, post-run stretching, and core strengthening habitual. In my opinion, if you need to sightly reduce your time spent running so that you're able to be consistent with the "extras," that trade-off is probably well worth it (all of the mileage you run doesn't matter much if you can't make it to the starting line healthy).

-Similarly, if you're struggling to recover from the level of mileage you're putting in, I think it is perfectly logical to cut back slightly and incorporate cross training. Cross training is going to make you a better runner than you would be if you injured yourself by running higher mileage than you could recover from.

-Patience is key: if you're sore and struggling with a certain amount of mileage, then don't increase your mileage to following week. Hold it steady for a few weeks and wait for your body to adapt.

Wishing you happy and healthy running!

Sunflower747

I found this article on mileage and thought it was good.  I've read a lot of this before but not really all in the same place.

http://run-fit.com/wp-content/uploads/mileage.pdf

I found this article on mileage and thought it was good.  I've read a lot of this before but not really all in the same place.

http://run-fit.com/wp-content/uploads/mileage.pdf

Good article.  Thanks for sharing.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I agree with limited time and recovery stick to running and maybe 2 30 minute lifting sessions a week. Sleep is key to recovery. When my kids were little i was lucky to run 3 times a week. Sounds like you have some talent but finding how much you can do with out getting hurt is the key.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Feeling the growl again

You likely "can't get over the soreness" because you are skipping steps and trying to train like the old you.  You can't do that.  You need to work from where you are at and build from there.  The key is consistency.  Press to the soreness, back off but keep training, heal up, press again.  Over time you press further and further.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

As others have said, you need to ease back in.  That means not just lower volume, but also slower training.  I get that you want to run fast; save that for racing.  To get yourself back up to your previous running volume without injury (and without undue soreness), slow down your training runs.  You should be able to get back up to speed eventually, after you've rebuilt your base.