Excuse me while I fartlek.... (Read 806 times)

Outside Lane

I start a novice half marathon training program tomorrow (from old coolrunning site). It calls for 4 M FARTLEK on first day. I run about a 9:30 pace for a 5K. It's colder than heck here so I am not running outside. What do you suggest for 4 M FARTLEK workout on a treadmill. I know it means "speedplay" but I have no clue what to do. The program says the 4 M include a mile each of warmup and cooldown so I guess I need advice on what to do for the 2 M of fartleking.... I have done several 5 K's, several 8K's and one 10K. My first HM will be May 4! Thanks for any help you can provide!

See how they run...

Beatin' on the Rock

Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
        Ive been running alot indoors this winter also. I'm just a puss when it comes to cold weather and wind (i live by the water so its always windy). Ive been having trouble putting my treadmill to 1% incline. It has an incline function, but no display to tell you how high you are. so i pretty much have to guess..... I basicaly just hold down the incline button for 2 seconds and leave it at that. If I go any higher, I can feel the stress on the back of my ankles so I tend not to experiment too much. Can anyone help me figure out how to know what % incline I am on??? Dead
          Fartlek's are runs broken up into segments of varying intensity and length separated by short periods of recovery. You normally run them by picking out a landmark up ahead such as a tree or sign and then run to it at an intensity that makes it tough but not impossible to continue until you reach the landmark. It's not something that can really be done on a treadmill. It's never too cold to run outside if you are properly dressed. Check some of the winter running posts for info on how to dress and get out there. My last run was at 3F with 30mph winds and there are others around here who ran in worse conditions than that. Tom

SMART Approach

Fartleks are speed play. For you, just run 6 X 3 min or 8 X 2 min at a faster pace. Don't kill yourself, just run faster maybe 9:45-10 min pace. Feel winded/working but not fried, fully recover between.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

GPRUNNER

Ive been running alot indoors this winter also. I'm just a puss when it comes to cold weather and wind (i live by the water so its always windy). Ive been having trouble putting my treadmill to 1% incline. It has an incline function, but no display to tell you how high you are. so i pretty much have to guess..... I basicaly just hold down the incline button for 2 seconds and leave it at that. If I go any higher, I can feel the stress on the back of my ankles so I tend not to experiment too much. Can anyone help me figure out how to know what % incline I am on??? Dead
              My guess is if you let the platform raise about 3/4" it will be about 1% grade.Others may have better ideas.