Summer plan... thoughts? (Read 553 times)

Ok... so I just finished a marathon that I trained as much as I could without getting injured and ran my butt off and well I left everything out on the race course... My body is sore! So my plan... this week I might... might go for an easy run sunday but then I'll ease back in through may and into june.. taking it really easy... probably recovery pace for the first couple weeks and then back to normal easy pace but no speed or hill work for another week or two. By the end of june I hope to be back to 35-40 miles a week all easy or recovery. Then I plan to add in some tempo work to see how I recover from it. If I can get through a couple weeks of that 1 tempo run a week I'll add in a speed workout... aiming to bust a 5k the end of august. Is that too ambitious? 2 weeks recovery... 2 weeks easy 2 weeks increase back to 35-40 2 weeks tempo easy week 3-4 weeks tempo + speed race week.
      Grats on your marathon. Feeling that you've left it all out on the course is a really great feeling. Well done. You should, of course, structure your recovery upon how you feel as you recover. That said, I think your plan may be conservative. It looks like you were putting in some good mileage in April, I don't think you'll need as much recovery time as you have planned. I don't have Pfitz's book here with me, but I'd think you'd be pretty good following his 5 week recovery for those that did his 55 mile per week schedule. Your idea of running two weeks at recovery pace followed by two weeks of easy pace is probably pretty good. I'd would be tempted to throw in some striders at the end of the third week and in the fourth. I think you should be able to get back to your pre-taper milage by the fifth, or maybe even the fourth week. So I guess I would suggest, again depending on how you feel during your recovery, that your third item, "increase back to 35-40," could be built into the first four recovery weeks, and I'd throw in some striders.