How much is too much? (Read 762 times)

Tuna

Hi There, So I'm new to the whole running world. I never enjoyed it growing up and never understood the whole "run for fun" thing. With the new year, I've made a serious commitment to my health and get into better shape, primarily to rock climb better (when my shoulder heals) and to feel better all around. Just a little bit of history - I'm not completely out of shape...I've always been active with skiing, rock climbing and what ever my latest obsession is. I am overweight - tipping the scales at 228 at 6'2" (I was 240 on January 1st Big grin). I do have a large frame and some muscles hiding under all the flub. I also have a torn left labrum and am missing my MCL in my right knee. So, back to the topic, how much is too much? I started training with guns a blazing, but after two weeks I started getting pain / soreness behind my right knee (not related to the MCL - I think) and where my groin and lower abdomen meet up. I layoff and started improvising with the C25K and by the end of last week, I was able to do 3 miles in 35 minutes with a 5k walking warm up and walking intervals. This morning, I went 3.4 miles in 37 minutes and started to get the same groin / lower ab tweakage. I was hoping to rock out 15-20 miles this week...am I pushing too hard? Also, how the hell do you stay on the treadmill for a consistent pace for an hour without losing your mind? I like the intervals since it keeps you focused on your task at hand but man...where does your mind go if your at a pace and cranking down the distance? I've started to enjoy this whole thing and do not want to stop. Any thoughts, ideas, tips, tricks? Much appreciated!
    Tuna

Oh, one last thing - I feel great! I feel better about everything. I'm less negative, happier, deal with stress more effectively, am more svelte and just enjoying life more.

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Also, how the hell do you stay on the treadmill for a consistent pace for an hour without losing your mind?
        I dunno! But when you find the answer? If you can market it, you'll make a fortune!!! Living in the Rockies, I've had to do most of my running/walking on the treadmill this winter. I have my machine in front of the TV, and also have access to the radio and my mP3...listening to fast paced music and/or watching TV helps alleviate the boredom, and I can generally run for up to an hour before losing my mind completely. Congrats on your weight-loss so far.
        invisible

Also, how the hell do you stay on the treadmill for a consistent pace for an hour without losing your mind?
          Loud Rock and Roll music.
          90 percent of the game is not giving up.
          finney

Resident pinniped

How can you run with a labral tear? 15-20 miles/week is kind of a lot for someone not used to doing aerobic/impact exercise. I'd start at 3 miles (or so) 3 times a week, and do that for at least a couple weeks, preferably 3. If that's easy, it's easy. Better to do too little than too much too fast. Once you hurt yourself you can't go back, but you can always do more if you feel good. Thing is, you might be able to eek out 30 miles for a single week. Next week you'll wind up with tendonitis. GO SLOW! Running is supposed to be a long term activity. You have your entire life to build up the distance.
            Tuna

How can you run with a labral tear?
              I've been doing PT for 3 months and have been cleared to do just about anything I want to. The shoulder feels great and I am pain free. Yes Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm definitely not going to be in the 30 mile range anytime soon and am content with 10-15 for the week with an 11-12 min/mile pace. By midday yesterday, I didnt feel any of the tweakage I mentioned before and this morning I feel great with no discomfort.
              jeffdonahue

for the treadmill question, I guess it depends on where the treadmill is. If you are running on a treadmill at your house, I say put a TV in front of it and throw in a good movie to take your mind off it. I used to do that when I was training for my Ironman. I would get on my bike in the basement and watch three movies while I cranked out the miles. At the gym, I typically use loud music or once in a long while they will have something worth watching on the tv and I can watch that. It can be tough but you get used to it. Though I must say I avoid the treadmill as much as possible. What I dont like about htem is that they are at a steady pace. So if you typically run a 9:00mpm pace that is what you are always going to set it at. But if you are tired that day and your body needs you to run a bit slower, it will push you. That can be good and bad. Pushing yourself is typically good, but sometimes your body just needs to slow down to avoid injury and the treadmill kind of takes away the bodies normal pacing.
                jeffdonahue

Oh yeah, it doesnt hurt if you pick a treadmill behind someone cute - at least you have something to look at.
                    Hi There, ...where does your mind go if your at a pace and cranking down the distance?
                    The Dreadmill. I bought a 24 inch monitor for an old computer and set it up so I can watch movies and listen to music, but the most important is reading digital books. I blow up the text to 1 in letters so I can read while chugging along at 8min pace. I vary the speed alot as well, just to keep from going insane.
                    http://www.deardick.com