5k time to 10K, half time to full (Read 160 times)

preciousJohn

How long did it take you to turn your 5k time into a 10K time? or half to full?

Lets say my half is 1:25, 6:30 pace, and I would like to run that pace for a full. Would a year of training do it? Whats your experience?

DaBurger

To clarify you're asking if you can run a 1:25 half, how much training would get you to run a 2:50 full?

Depends so much on everything else that I can't really give rules... but for me I ran a 4:57 mile in 2008, and then ran a 9:13 3k in 2011, which is pretty much a 9:54 2-mile so that would be just shy of 3 years?

Know thyself.

bluerun

Super B****

It took me just over a year to go from running a 5K at a 7:59 pace to running a half at that pace (April 2012 to May 2013)... but YMMV.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

mikeymike

There is no rule of thumb for something like this. It totally depends on your fitness (or lack thereof) when you run the baseline race.

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

I started running again at age 52, and it took me two years of running part-time (due to illness and injury)and maybe 25-30 miles per week  before I broke 20 minutes for the 5K. It took me two more years after that and running maybe 30-40 miles per week before I broke 40 minutes for the 10K. My one and only full marathon this year was 3:08; half of that would be 1:34, and I don't think I've ever NOT been able to run a 1:34 half as a decent long training run, as long as I had been running at least a few months of 30+ miles per week and ran a few 13.1 mile time trials building up to it. My half PR is 1:26:00 but I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to run a full at that pace, for a 2:52:00 full. Not going to happen.

Retired &  Loving It

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I started running again at age 52, and it took me two years of running part-time (due to illness and injury)and maybe 25-30 miles per week  before I broke 20 minutes for the 5K. It took me two more years after that and running maybe 30-40 miles per week before I broke 40 minutes for the 10K. My one and only full marathon this year was 3:08; half of that would be 1:34, and I don't think I've ever NOT been able to run a 1:34 half as a decent long training run, as long as I had been running at least a few months of 30+ miles per week and ran a few 13.1 mile time trials building up to it. My half PR is 1:26:00 but I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to run a full at that pace, for a 2:52:00 full. Not going to happen.

Ya, but you are wicked fast at any age but particularly for your age. I just started running again at 53 and sure hope to get as fast.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Love the Half

It also depends on how in shape you are when you run them.  I ran my first 5K when I'd only been running 4 months.  My time was 23:37 for a 7:37 pace.  That was in July, 2008.  I ran my first marathon in November, 2010 in a time of 3:11:31 which is a 7:12 pace.  However, my current 5K PR is 18:33.  That's a 5:58 pace and I will never, ever run that fast for even a half marathon and I doubt it for a 10K.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

onemile

How long did it take you to turn your 5k time into a 10K time? or half to full?

Lets say my half is 1:25, 6:30 pace, and I would like to run that pace for a full. Would a year of training do it? Whats your experience?

It took me about a year.  Half in Oct 2012 - 8:07 pace and marathon Nov 2013 8:08 pace.  But really, who knows.  And I certainly don't expect to train for another year and be able to run a marathon at my new half pace (7:25) .

preciousJohn

Ah.. I thinking I am too optimistic on setting my goal for my next marathon, which is about 1+ year later.  I just want to start somewhere and set a goal. I am really not hard headed on achieving it.

thanks for your the inputs, guys.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Instead, why don't you use one of the race time predictors:

RunningAhead

McMillan

preciousJohn

I am not trying to find my marathon predicted time based on my half time. My marathon time is already inline with my half time.

Instead, why don't you use one of the race time predictors:

RunningAhead

McMillan