Silver Strand Half Marathon (Read 547 times)

I was up at 2:30. Finally crawled out of bed, grabbed a peice of pizza and gagged it down, chasing it with Red bull. I headed out the door at 4:30 and was at the State Beach Parking lot by 5AM and waited until 5:30 to get on a bus. It was cold but I brought a big blanket to wrap up in. Many MANY people saw the value in my choice, LOL. Found 2 of my friends but was missing Lynn. The wheelchairs, skaters, and the amputee runners went first and off we were! It's a flat fast course except for several 1/2mile+ slow gradual climbs. I started slow in hope of chasing down that ever elusive negative split. My goal was a 7:50-55 pace somewhere in the 1:43 range. Hoping for a PR. I found my groove early on and was glad I didn't have to talk to anyone. At mile 4 I took my gu. I made sure to grab a cup at every aid station and had one gulp before I tossed it. I passed Lynn at mile 7. I felt a surge coming and went with it. I steadily began passing people one at a time. Gave Lynn a high five coming back at mile 11. I picked up speed since the course had thinned. I came around that last corner and saw the finish, about .25 away and I turned it on. I felt like I was floating. We started at a beautiful ocean front park on Coronado Island. The course ran through Coronado, then along the Silver Strand, the beaches that connects the island to Imperial Beach. We then ran through some nice neighborhoods in IB, on to some Navy property where we did an out and back for miles 9-12, finishing at the IB Peir. They had great music, and BEER!!! mile times: 8:16 7:43 7:53 7:56 7:55 7:53 7:54 7:46 7:36 7:31 7:37 7:25 7:15 last .1 was a 6:52 pace some stats from my running log... Course: Silver Strand Half Marathon Distance: 13.1 miles Duration: 1:42:17 Pace: 7:49 / mile Shoe: adidas Supernova Classic (P-1) Field Placement: 191 / 1716 (11.1%) Age group: 35 – 39 Group Placement: 12 / 149 (8.1%) Gender Placement: 32 / 882 (3.6%)

Jennifer mm#1231

Great race, Jennifer! Smile WTG on the PR and sweet time !
      2009: BQ?

Another Passion

Awesome Jennifer! Congrats on the great race and PR! I'm going to feel like a snail in my first big race compared to all you folks! Blush

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Nice PR, Jennifer! Yeah you've mentioned the blanket in other reports too. On a chilly morning - I'll bet a lot of people would be jealous! Beer - yes!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

va

Nicely run race, with a very stong finish. Congrats!
            I felt like I was floating.
            That is so cool. I was just mentioning in another forum, that when I was a skinny kid, I could run pretty fast, and at time I felt weightless, and the running effortless. This is one of the reasons why I run, to one day get that feeling again. Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What a fantastic sounding race! And beer at the finish is ALWAYS good! What an excellent PR. How is the air quality, now? Things are pretty clear in the aftermath of the fires, I hope. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations!! Nice placing too. Smile

Michelle

revlich~ no way! we all start somewhere! And we all have good and bad days...my last HM was in the heat and humidity of August and I ran the worst I've ever run in my life. Dead This was a good day! Mike/Bonkin~ yeah. the blanket is standard practice! I froze at this same race last year...nothing sucks the energy out of you faster than standing around shivering uncontrollably for over an hour! va~ yeah. It felt like I was just doing intervals and gliding. I really worked on my nutrition this race (pizza) by eating a ton of food Firday and Sat so I never felt a dip in energy. Kristen~ the air has been great. Hopefully fire season is over! Michelle, thanks! I was disappointed in my AG placing. Last year I was 17th with a much slower time. I was hoping to make top 10...NEXT YEAR! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Nice race Jennifer- and nice faster pace on each mile from mile 4 on. Congratulations on the PR!!!
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

shonan marathon, girl

Congrats Jennifer, think you are doing great! You give us all so much motivation to run. Keep it up! Be sure to take it easy after the race, you deserve it.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Congrats Jennifer, think you are doing great! You give us all so much motivation to run. Keep it up! Be sure to take it easy after the race, you deserve it.
                        thank you! tomorrow will be my first rest day since the race. Unfortunately, Sundays are supposd to be my rest days, so if I have a race I skip it and have to wait until Thurs. Dead

Jennifer mm#1231

muse_runner

keep running.

Jen are you planning another marathon besides Boston soon? You're doing amazing!
                          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                            Jen are you planning another marathon besides Boston soon? You're doing amazing!
                            yah. remember? I'm going to see you at Surf City. Cool

Jennifer mm#1231