BIG Marathons (Read 632 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My brother lives in Chicago and is trying to talk me into running that with him someday (he's not run anything further than a couple of small 5ks, so he doesn't know what a PITA it is to weave around people for miles). No thanks. #1, I hate crowds. #2, it's friggin' expensive. Why run Chicago and deal with that mob when I could run 2 smaller marathons for the same price? I think 10k participants would be my absolute max. Milwaukee was something like 4-5k including relay runners...Grand Rapids is about the same. Very nice size. A bit crowded for maybe the first half mile, then it's smooth sailing after that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Living in NJ, the most densely populated state, I fight crowds every day. I hate crowds. Other than Boston, I can't ever see myself running one of those big city races.

Not at it at all. 

Bruno

I'll sort of second what Zoom-Zoom said--I absolutely love the GR Marathon. FWIW--I only got into marthoning because I've always wanted to run Boston. I ran GR in 06 and loved GR despite some flaws in the course, I loved it. I qualified and then immediately registered for Boston. I ran Boston in 07, the weather sucked, but I also hated being in a sea of humanity. It seemed I was always surronded. I felt suffocated. I honestly started to worry that I was just an extra in "Dawn of The Dead". Then again I just have an aversion to crowds. I ran GR two weeks ago because I wanted my last marathon experience to be a positive one. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that big marathons have some merits, but they're just not my thing. I'd much rather the feeling of individual attention that a smaller marathon offers. I suspect it is like picking a college--some people want the giant university, some like a smaller more quaint setting.

My legs are killing me

Pointing out that New York had more finishers than any other marathon last year, she added, “We want to be the biggest marathon, but never at the cost of being the best.” Lieber, the deputy mayor, said he would not mind if the race was both. He scoffed at those who said the race was too crowded. “That’s baloney,” he said. “It’s all about how you set it up. I'll be running NY this weekend and it will be my first experience running with a crowd that big but my first reaction to reading the above quote from Mr. Lieber is if you want to screw up a good thing let some political ahole get involved. I'd be curious to see if he as ever even run a 5k, let alone a marathon.

Mary Pardi, 38, from Falmouth, Me., competed in the Boston Marathon in April, and said she ran shoulder-to-shoulder with other runners through Mile 18. She said she was “up on lawns, weaving in and out of people and wasting a lot of energy,” because the course was so packed. She failed to reach her goal of finishing in under three hours, crossing the line in 3 hours 3 minutes 44 seconds. “I think they should make the standards a little harder because people are getting in better and better shape,” Pardi said. “But, no matter how hard it is to qualify, I think there will always be 20,000 people running it. Everyone wants to run in Boston because it means you are the best of the best.”
            Friend and teammate of mine. Big grin She's actually been on 2 different teams with me.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Prince of Fatness

“I think they should make the standards a little harder because people are getting in better and better shape,” Pardi said. “But, no matter how hard it is to qualify, I think there will always be 20,000 people running it. Everyone wants to run in Boston because it means you are the best of the best.”
              I agree with this, as long as they wait to raise the standard until after I qualify. Tongue

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

I've never felt like the crowd at Boston slowed me down at all, but then the deepest I've ever been seeded was in the 4th corral. Still, all of those big city marathons are way too big for my tastes, by about a factor of 5.

Runners run

DoppleBock

Run to Win ... Interesting I ran Boston a few minutes slower than her last year. I believe that you and I met at Pizzeria Uno, I was the big guy who was 7 weeks back from a 6 month injury layoff. I did notice that I could not run any of the right tangents with the congestion, but I never had to run up on a lawn. After mile 6, I thought it opened up and I would run my pace uninpeded, just not the line. After Boston 08, I do not think I want to run anything that large again, unless I am in sub 2:45 shape. The closer you get to the front the less it matters. I ran Houston in 2006 and once the 1/2 marathon turned around it was lonely. I really like Green Bay, Milwaukee and would like to try Grand Rapids. Grandmas and Twin Cities @ 8,000 runners are really nice if you run @ 3:00 or under and start where you belong.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I ran Chicago this year and thought it was great. No crowding issues at all, but I was in Corral A. If you can get in Corral A or B in Chicago it is a great race with no crowding aspects at all. And at least with the megathons you'll get people cheering you on the entire race, have someone to run with the entire race. Boston was way more crowded than Chicago I thought. I was in corral 3 but did not run a time respective of corral 3. So I was running with people the entire way. This year (09) I will probably be in corral 6/7 so that will probably hold me back. I ran NY in 06 and did not find any crowding at all except for the normal start crowding you find at any race, but in that race I was also up front and took 21 seconds to start the line. I love the big marathon. Nothing like running a race with 30,000+ of your closest friends... However, I have been near the front in these and if I was in the back I would probably have a different perspective. I'll let you know in April after I run Boston (if I don't run another marathon to get a better seed time, anyone want to give me a Houston bib Smile )
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Both of mine have been medium-small marathons and plan on keeping that way until I run Boston. In addition to the congestion and the impact that has on the race, small to medium tend ot be tons cheaper, as is the lodging and the logistics of parking and so forth are much easier. I've never parked more than a few hundred yards from the starting line. My friend and running mentor said the only reason he would ever run a big city marathon would be so he could say he finished faster than 7,000 other people.
                      Roses Revenge

I'd like to run a big one sometime, just for the experience, but I'll have to admit that my favorites so far are the little bitty races. Portland at 7500 was fun, Eugene at 2500 was awful, Yakima and North Olympic at about 400 were fantastic!

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Nashville has the half and full mixed in the corrals. In 2007 I was in corral 10 and it was so congested in the first seven miles it wasn't even funny. After mile 11, when the courses split it got lonely. This year though, I was in corral 5 and never had a problem, in fact it was so widespread and open I never had to weave and was able to go from one side of the road to the other in order to make the turns without ever getting congested.

#artbydmcbride

I've run Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Phoenix and I love running in the big crowds.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I will still run Boston if I can qualify in the front corral as the race experience is awesome -- even though being in the third row behind the elites the first 1.5 miles is crazy crowded. I will still run Chicago when I feel I am in shape to PR as that course and the competition there are condusive to a fast race. From the front, the crowd opens up VERY quickly due to the width of the opening miles of the course. Other than those two exceptions, I will not run these huge marathons anymore. The cattle herd mentality adds nothing to the race for me. The stress over logistics, transportation, etc at these large races is ridiculous unneeded stress. In 2002 when I first broke 2:30 I was 30sec late to the start and had to run the full race on a full bladder because I could not get into a porta john despite an hour wait in line (Chicago). This after getting up at 4am to make my way downtown because I could not get a hotel. Contrast to Louisville...well-run race, pretty course. I still got up at 4:30am but only because I had to drive 2 hours to get there. I parked at 7:10am withing .25 miles of the start, got my packet, and TWICE got into a real restroom between then and 7:50am. Jogged to the start and was off at 8:05am less than an hour after arriving. Got out of town afterward with no traffic jam caused by the race. NICE.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills