Hi From a Newbie Runner (Read 96 times)

k8oliveplants

Hi everyone,

I am a 52-year-old newbie runner, training for my first-ever 5K on October 20th, only 3 1/2 weeks away. First, a little background....I was diagnosed with several autoimmune diseases 10 years ago and tried every conventional med (including oral chemo) available, but nothing helped. So, after alot of research and prayer, I switched to a low-fat raw vegan diet. And immediately my symptoms began to slowly disappear. Plus, I have tons of energy, so I began working out because I finally felt like moving! I do aerobics, weight training, and walking. Ever since being the last one to finish the required PE runs in school, I have always hated running...until recently. I have so much energy since I changed my diet and I just wanted more of a challenge.  Then I saw an ad for the local 5K next month and decided to give it a try. I have been training for 4 weeks so far, and I have come to absolutely love running!

Yesterday for the first time, I ran on a nearby road. (I usually run in the hay field in front of our house.) On the road,  I ran 3 miles in 34 minutes. The first 1 1/2 miles took me 14 minutes. The 2nd half was much slower: 20 minutes. I really didn't care about the time; I was just thankful to have run at all. Today was hot and humid, but I ran anyway. My time was slower: each mile and a half took 18 minutes! The road I am running on is flat and also has rolling hills. It seems as if I run much faster in the hay field, which has steeper hills than the road.

So my question is...what is a reasonable time for a 52-year-old to run 5K? I realize that there are many variables, including weight, etc... but is there an average time I can use as a goal? I want to run well, and not be so concerned with the time, but I also want something to work for.  Also, how many times per week should I run? Every day? Every other day?

Thanks.

Hi Newbie,

I think being able to run the first 1.5 miles of a training run in 14 minutes at your age after 4 weeks of running is really, really good.

I have just started running again after more than a year off, but I have been a runner most of my adult life, and I don't think I run my first mile and a half that fast now and we are about the same age.

In any event, it is relatively easy to see what runners your age (and gender whatever that is) run a 5K by looking at the results from last year's race, but that should not matter. You should really run it to have fun and if you feel good maybe push at the end. Then sign up for another race, keep running, and watch the times get quicker and quicker.

Also, the more you run, I think you will find that the first mile and a half is the slowest part of your runs as you get warmed up, get the kinks out and get in a rhythm.

Good luck.

Hey k8!

You're doing really well for your background!

I know you just want to hear about a decent time to shoot for, but it depends. Gender, weight, level of fitness all play a big part in coming up with an estimated time. You've got 3 weeks until the race, which means only about 2 more weeks of training that will actually help your time (effects of workouts don't usually show up for 5-10 days, closer to 10 for us old people). You just ran 34, and experience helps, so you'd probably run closer to 31-32 if you didn't go out that fast. my best guess based on that would be round 28 minutes 3 weeks from now, with proper race preparation. That's not bad for 52! In another year you could be in the low 20's, maybe even below. For comparison, I'm in about 21 minute shape right now, and the one race I did this year at 21:52 earned "All American" honors . That isn't saying much, that's not a fast time, but I guess it's in the top 5-10% for my age group for a road 5k. 16-17 would be a fast time.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

k8oliveplants

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, I forgot to mention that I am a woman, and I know that makes a different in finish times. I am also a mom of 8 children and a grandma of 4 (so far!). 

Another ?...how many times per week should I do weight training?

HCH

So my question is...what is a reasonable time for a 52-year-old to run 5K? I realize that there are many variables, including weight, etc... but is there an average time I can use as a goal? I want to run well, and not be so concerned with the time, but I also want something to work for.  Also, how many times per week should I run? Every day? Every other day?

As you point out, defining "reasonable time" is subjective and depends on a lot of variables. That said, I've always found the age-grading calculators to be a helpful benchmark, especially as I age.  USATF provides these somewhat helpful descriptions:

100% - Approximate World Record Level
            Over 90% - World Class Level
            Over 80% - National Class Level
            Over 70% - Regional Class Level

I've also heard over 60% is "Local Class" as in you would be competitive in your age group in a small race, such as a 5k charity run. For a 52 year old woman, a ~28:30 5k would approximate 60th percentile.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

k8oliveplants

As you point out, defining "reasonable time" is subjective and depends on a lot of variables. That said, I've always found the age-grading calculators to be a helpful benchmark, especially as I age.  USATF provides these somewhat helpful descriptions:

100% - Approximate World Record Level
              Over 90% - World Class Level
              Over 80% - National Class Level
              Over 70% - Regional Class Level

I've also heard over 60% is "Local Class" as in you would be competitive in your age group in a small race, such as a 5k charity run. For a 52 year old woman, a ~28:30 5k would approximate 60th percentile.

Thanks for the info!

Weight training for runners, and particularly Masters, is subjective. A couple times a week with workouts designed for runners and Masters in mind is 2X more than I do! But I'm not a serious runner thinking about race times.

Just remember that you want to take it easy the last 4-5 days before your race. Not "Laying on the couch watching TV" easy, but no strenuous workouts.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

lifting twice a week is a good idea for everybody over 50.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

k8oliveplants

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow is the big day: the 5K starts at 8 am EST. I am as ready as I ever will be. Wish me luck!  

Good luck!

Dave

NorNev

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow is the big day: the 5K starts at 8 am EST. I am as ready as I ever will be. Wish me luck!  

Good luck! We are pulling for you!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

How did it go?