Are you running towards or away from something? (Read 1093 times)

Just Be

Someone asked me this question the other day and I thought it interesting. So, lets hear it! Big grin Which type of runner are you and why?

My Hero

Yes, good question. A song I have on my i-pod, pretty much "nails it on the head" for me. "I'm In A Hurry" sung by Alabama... (just one verse & chorus) I'm in a hurry to get things done Oh, I rush and rush until lifes no fun All I really gotta gotta do is live and die But, I'm in a hurry and don't know why I hear a voice It says I'm running behind I better pick up my pace I'ts a race and there ain't no room for someone in second place

Just Be

I guess that means something different to you, it's rather depressing to me. Sad So are you running away from your own mortality or toward your innate need to get things done in a timely and efficient manner or did I miss the point of the song entirely?

Renee the dog

I keep thinking if I run far enough or fast enough I'll find the future. Wink So my answer is both...running from my past (so I don't get stuck there) and running towards my future, and smiling the whole way. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Interesting question. I am always running toward something.
            ---- Cynthia

Maggie & Molly

I think I"m doing both. I'm running away from my obesity and not being able to run but at the same time I'm running toward my health and being able to run. There was a time in my life when I couldn't walk a mile without using my asthma inhaler, shoot, I don't really think I could have walked a block then but you get the idea. So now I run for my future!!!!!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

When I started running I was fast at short distances 400, M one mile,etc. So I trained for 5k's with the goals of winning awards. I did OK for 3 or 4 years winning my share. Then I decided to become a distance runner and that never worked out as well. Too many training errors causing injuries etc. So with age slowing me down and recovering from injuries I discovered that I love running. It doesn't matter about awards anymore. I love the sweat, I love the challenge (I don't set difficult goals) I love my fellow runners. So I'm running toward the new me. Enjoying every mile. Big grin Also running away from high blood pressure, heart disease, and everything else you may get from being inactive.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

HOSS1961

Running to good health, mentally and physically, and away from getting old. I guess I wouldn't be a 'boomer' if that wasn't the case. I want to challenge my mind and body. I don't feel my age (male ego I'm sure) Wink and I want to keep not feeling my age for a long time. My parents have always been young at heart and I think I have inherited that trait. I just want my mind and body to be in the same boat. I just wish I had been more consistant over the years in keeping in shape and developed my love of running earlier.
                  HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

12 Squared

I am both running away from a sedentary lifestyle while running towards a more fit future at the same time. What are you running from? Smile
                    If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra

dork.major dork.

RE: the song. It is a depressing song for me too. But running gives me a place to feel like I am getting something done while also relaxing. I think it is often a way for me to run away from my own demons and toward a more balanced sense of who I am.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

LittleRockRed

That is a great question. The immediate answer in my head was: Neither. I am running today for today. I love everyone else's responses though. Gabby
                          I'm with Gabby. In all other aspects of my life I'm trying to either achieve a goal or leave something behind. I run because it doesn't involve either of those.
                          Rachel
                            When I run I feel I commune with nature. I feel I get centered. I am neither running away or towards something because when I run I am already there.
                              Clowns will get me?

Just Be

I am both running away from a sedentary lifestyle while running towards a more fit future at the same time. What are you running from? Smile
                                Haha. Interesting video! Big grin If I saw some random guy with a puppet on his hand run up to me with a video camera in his other hand and he asked me what I'm running from, I'd reply: "You!!" and speed up. Evil grin